Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 81% of Prospective Model 3 Owners Say They Won’t Pay Upfront For Full Self-Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]It seems most prospective Model 3 owners aren’t willing to shell out cash upfront for a $3,000 “full self-driving capability” option that is likely years away from becoming available to engage.

In a poll posted by jsraw 81.3% (347) of respondents said they will not pay for the feature at purchase. Adding the option later will cost an additional $1,000. Of respondents, 18.7% said they will pay for FSD upfront.

According to Tesla’s website, FSD “doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.”

Elon Musk has said that level 5 autonomous driving is possible with second generation Autopilot and the FSD option, meaning the car is fully autonomous in any and all conditions. During his TED talk in April, Musk said the company plans to conduct by the end of 2017 a coast-to-coast demo drive from California to New York without the driver touching the wheel.

Obviously, there will be regulatory hurdles ahead and Musk has said it will likely be two years before owners will be able to engage FSD capability.

See a few comments on the poll below, or go to the thread here.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.24.50-PM.png
Swift

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.16.15-PM.png
EinSV

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.17.02-PM.png
jason1466

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.17.59-PM.png
Waiting4M3

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.21.06-PM.png
Enginerd[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a large difference between what a consumer might view as capable (to the customer) vs a manufacturer's demo.

As far as the demo:

From that alone customers should gather that FSD will not be available anytime in 2016, 2017, and may or may not be available early 2018 since the manufacturers demo is optimistically at the end of 2017. Anything enabled for consumers would be after this time.

Personally, I plan to get the performance Model 3. The timeline for this vehicle means I can actually choose FSD after seeing that demo. In addition, since it's so much later than even the RWD Model 3, if there are additional hardware improvements, hopefully I'll get those as well.
you really don`t understand what a demo means in the industry, do you?
*hint* it doesn`t have to mean" we`re actually almost done and close to releasing what we`ve shown", especially when everyone else on the market that doesn`t have to rely on constant PR ruckus says that such features are a long way from actually becoming available.....

And that you don`t have EAP or FSD so far and basically only "argument" based on heresay and marketing news.....well, that indeed explains a lot :cool:

As a comparison:
Audi with their new a8 are still in regulation hell just for their 30mph traffic-jam pilot (first real lvl 3 feature ever in any car btw)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Swift and JeffK
Regulation "hell"?
Please expand and supply a link!
I have no in depth sources in english. Google just provides the usual 1 page articles about how it`s currently running all the approvals etc.
What I found elaborated on the problem that Audi wants to take full responsibility for anything that happens when the system is running which is unprecedented in the car industry and poses several legal problems and therefore makes an adaption of the regulations neccessary.
Basically the system is built in and ready, but time of activation will vary from country to country depending on how long it takes to actually have the possibility to approve of a system where the driver isn`t legally bound to watch the street.
At the moment mass market FSD simply isn`t legal.
Implementation of the necessary changes for at least some parts of level 3 and above are to be expected for 2020 here in europe....at least according to some of our politicians...no idea how long it will take for the US.

Last edited:
you really don`t understand what a demo means in the industry, do you?
*hint* it doesn`t have to mean" we`re actually almost done and close to releasing what we`ve shown", especially when everyone else on the market that doesn`t have to rely on constant PR ruckus says that such features are a long way from actually becoming available.....

And that you don`t have EAP or FSD so far and basically only "argument" based on heresay and marketing news.....well, that indeed explains a lot :cool:

As a comparison:
Audi with their new a8 are still in regulation hell just for their 30mph traffic-jam pilot (first real lvl 3 feature ever in any car btw)
Thanks for the ad hominem earlier, but I do understand what a demo means that that's exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't have to mean we're almost done. This is precisely why anyone who is angry FSD isn't coming any sooner than the demo is delusional.

The Audi lvl 3 30 mph thing is kind of a joke. That's like calling a parked car level 3 autonomous because it's autonomous in that particular situation.

On my ride to work it varies from 80 mph to stop and go over and over again. An Audi with their traffic-jam pilot would just get in the way. Plus, let's not forget that for Audi that's a 2019 A8 which by my watch, isn't out yet and is therefore not the first anything. Let me know when someone has something that works at freeway speeds and stop and go because that would be useful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ad hominem earlier, but I do understand what a demo means that that's exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't have to mean we're almost done. This is precisely why anyone who is angry FSD isn't coming any sooner than the demo is delusional.

The Audi lvl 3 30 mph thing is kind of a joke. That's like calling a parked car level 3 autonomous because it's autonomous in that particular situation.

On my ride to work it varies from 80 mph to stop and go over and over again. An Audi with their traffic-jam pilot would just get in the way. Plus, let's not forget that for Audi that's a 2019 A8 which by my watch, isn't out yet and is therefore not the first anything. Let me know when someone has something that works at freeway speeds and stop and go because that would be useful.
Well, you just agreed to all my considerations regarding FSD and the current pitiful state of APs across the industry, including Tesla.
Guess we do have an understanding.
:)

Last edited:
Well, you just agreed to all my considerations regarding FSD and the current pitiful state of APs across the industry, including Tesla.
Guess we do have an understanding.
:)
I'll reiterate... To release even a single feature under the FSD package doesn't make it FSD, but does differentiate it from EAP. This is my point.

As far as people suggesting FSD (actual FSD) is somehow late, it's not late at all. However, Elon did say the feature sets FSD and EAP may diverge and his timeframe is a little off, but that's classic Elon. I'd expect the feature sets to diverge sometime soon, but not be FSD (yet only available for those who have purchased the FSD package).

The demo later this year, or early next year has nothing to do with a near future FSD package feature release. I can see why the terminology might trip people up.

Various other states have not and therefore have no legislation making it illegal.
There is some controversy about this. There are some current regulations that make it mandatory to press the accelerator before the car can go (or something similar). Some experts have claimed that means a human has to do it - and others say it can be done by software. Depending on what court's say, FSD is either legal or illegal at this point.

There is some controversy about this. There are some current regulations that make it mandatory to press the accelerator before the car can go (or something similar). Some experts have claimed that means a human has to do it - and others say it can be done by software. Depending on what court's say, FSD is either legal or illegal at this point.
My ICE has creep... moves without hitting the accelerator.

There's also a difference between FSD with a human in the driver's seat vs FSD with no one in the car.

Thanks for the ad hominem earlier, but I do understand what a demo means that that's exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't have to mean we're almost done.
Interesting pronoun choice. Sure you don't work for Tesla?

This is precisely why anyone who is angry FSD isn't coming any sooner than the demo is delusional.
No one is saying that FSD should be coming sooner than the LA to NYC fully autonomous drive at the end of this year. But they should be submitting it to regulators at that time. You would think they would have to by that time to even conduct the run. Unless they plan to do another fake video like the one on the website that got so many people to fork out $ for FSD.

All those people aren't delusional and they don't just throw away three thousand dollars on something there is absolutely no timeframe on or worse not likely to happen while they own/lease the vehicle. They made a decision based on the website, statements, what they thought was a legitimate, unedited video, and Elon's statements on the timing of the coast-to-coast run.

What is delusional is Tesla thinking they can take that money, not communicate with their customers, potentially not deliver before leases are up, and have customers be ok with that.

No, there's no way I could handle that kind of stress with Elon cracking the whip.

What litigation is there regarding EAP? I know people who have it and they are pretty happy with it. I've tried out the feature during my test drive and it will definitely be a game changer for me driving in California.
I previously linked to the complaint in this post Will you buy FSD on your 3 at purchase?

No, there's no way I could handle that kind of stress with Elon cracking the whip.

I previously linked to the complaint in this post Will you buy FSD on your 3 at purchase?
I saw that. But I was hoping someone could summarize lol.

Based on what I skimmed, the complaints seems to be mostly about paying for something that wasn't available and Tesla missing their estimated delivery date. This is why I"m not going to get FSD.

It's also why I don't support any kickstarter campaign anymore.

Reactions: Swift and CTreast

No one is saying that FSD should be coming sooner than the LA to NYC fully autonomous drive at the end of this year. But they should be submitting it to regulators at that time. You would think they would have to by that time to even conduct the run. Unless they plan to do another fake video like the one on the website that got so many people to fork out $ for FSD.

All those people aren't delusional and they don't just throw away three thousand dollars on something there is absolutely no timeframe on or worse not likely to happen while they own/lease the vehicle. They made a decision based on the website, statements, what they thought was a legitimate, unedited video, and Elon's statements on the timing of the coast-to-coast run.

What is delusional is Tesla thinking they can take that money, not communicate with their customers, potentially not deliver before leases are up, and have customers be ok with that.

I noticed the pronoun choice as well. I doubt he'd tell us even if he actually did.

Reactions: Swift and JeffK