Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll about possible long range S/X

What will next version of S/X be, mechanically?

• Current pack with new improved density 18650 cells

• Current shape battery pack with 2170 cells

• New body frame with bigger pack for even more range

• A Model 3 motor somewhere for more efficiency and range

• 2 model 3 motors for even more range

• Nothing, S/X will stay at current range until they are replaced with new models

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Many have speculated that S/X will get a longer range version now that the 100D has become the sole offering.
Consensus seems to be that the current 100 pack is maxed out with 18650 cells.
When a longer range version comes, if it comes, what will it be then?

The 2170 cells are supposed to have higher energy density so just using the same space (OK they're a little taller) should make the pack > 100 kW. But if you're going to do that, you'll probably want to redesign the cooling to be more like the Model 3 and the penthouse components also. And I have read that Tesla wants to abandon the 12V battery which I think would be a great improvement.

Is there really a high demand for a longer-range S/X? Just because they can build a longer range version doesn't mean they should, not if the sales aren't there.

I would also think the demand for a longer-range S/X would be balanced against the increased rollout/upgrade of the supercharger network. Is it more worth Tesla's investment in charging infrastructure vs a longer-range option that few may be interested in.

But what do I know? Hell, what do any of us know?

Reactions: Chancellor32
I don't foresee any significant changes to the S or X for at least 3 years.

I do foresee the Tesla Pickup getting the same battery pack as the Gen 2 Roadster.
By then S will have been a 10 year old design with only one minor facelift. Nobody will buy the Model S if Tesla does this.

It makes sense for Tesla to consolidate its packs around a single battery form factor, the 2170. When Tesla will bring them to the S/X is anyone's guess, but the Model S is ripe for a total redesign. It's looking very dated.

By then S will have been a 10 year old design with only one minor facelift. Nobody will buy the Model S if Tesla does this.

It makes sense for Tesla to consolidate its packs around a single battery form factor, the 2170. When Tesla will bring them to the S/X is anyone's guess, but the Model S is ripe for a total redesign. It's looking very dated.

As someone who bought a MS P100D last September, I disagree. You have to look at the competition and the charging network. Every automaker is currently playing catch-up in terms of range, charging network, and performance.

When we bought the MS, we were looking at ICE cars, Panamera Turbo, Mercedes S class, Audi something;) We didn’t want to wait for the Taycan and had questions about how Porsche will build out their charging network. Neither the car nor charging network exists now just like the Lucid air.

I think the model S will sell just fine in it’s current incarnation for at least 2 more yrs because the range, performance and Tesla’s charging network are head and shoulders above the competition - currently nonexistent. All the carmakers are aiming at Tesla’s 2018 range and performance. By 2020 when these cars are finally out then Tesla can increase the S/X range by 200 miles to 500+ miles.

After 300 range, incremental increases of 50, 60? miles don’t matter much as a selling point.

I am a complete noob and know nothing about the battery nor care to be completely honest. I care about range, charging speed and performance; for this I am waiting for the 2020 roadster.

My current S with its 315 range - I can drive for 3 hrs without stopping on road trips - and ludicrous mode and L+ - I can smoke a Lambo - are more than adequate for my needs.

Last edited:
It's looking very dated.
I completely disagree. Model S is still the most futuristic, sleek and sexy car you can see out there in the streets.
Excluding maybe 2-3 of those super-hyper-cars that get 499 pieces built and you will never see on a road for real.
For normal cars Model S is unbeaten today.

BTW a 120D (and matching P120D) would be a great selling point IMHO.

but the Model S is ripe for a total redesign. It's looking very dated.

I was going to say the opposite. Just looked at the newest offerings from competitors again and am baffled at how dated they are compared to Model S. When S came out in 2012 I remember being impressed by the "bauhaus"/sleek design especially interior and groundbreaking touchscreen. Wouldn't have imagined that now almost a decade later competitors would still be behind and still have more cluttered designs, but its true.

300 miles in peak winter weather is the minimum needed for many. We are not there yet.
It can even be a nuisance to be capped at 300 miles, like now in the summer. Especially these day trips where you don't have perfect destination charging. At 150 each way it's just short of being worth taking a break on one leg. It's not always appropriate/practical to ask for charging at a customer meeting or something. So you end up with an unnecessary break for SC. At 200 each leg it's worth stopping IMO, so you are not completely dependent on destination charging. This is why I think 400 miles would push the range argument off the table for many people on the fence about EV or not.

Reactions: QUBO and Buddyroe
Is there really a high demand for a longer-range S/X? Just because they can build a longer range version doesn't mean they should, not if the sales aren't there.

I definitely think so - the more range the better. Think of it like this - would you rather be a millionaire or a billionaire? You may not spend the billion, but you could if you needed to. Also, it makes traveling MUCH better - for some drives, it would eliminate charging altogether, and would reduce the number of stops for longer trips.

The #1 thing I hear from people when they talk to me about my S is, "if they can get the range above 400, I'll be very interested."

And you also have to remember that 400 miles isn't 400 miles when driving 82 to 85 mph on the interstate (which most seem to do these days) - it's more like 300 to 310. And the 335 miles the 100D is about 235 to 245.