Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] AWD/P-AWD reservers and changing to RWD because of range

After learning about the efficiency of AWD/P-AWD, will you change your reservation?

• Currently AWD/P-AWD, will stick with AWD/P-AWD

Votes: 184 88.5%
  • Was AWD/P-AWD, changed to RWD

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a bit bummed out with the 8% AWD penalty and can hope they improve upon it with software enhancements. I live in Chicago, where we get some snow, and is flat, but it usually gets cleared in a day or 2. Will keep it for the performance characteristics and also do no want to give up the free data perk as my order was modified last on 6/28.

Knowing what I know now, I may have skipped on AWD. However with the motors being the same as the P version, I'm hoping the AWD performance is underrated.

Per my above details: The charger details are as follows: 30A, 7.2kW. - how much range would I get in 2 hours with that?

I can totally tolerate the daily connect/disconnect. My plan would be to charge like this if it's my only option and then for long trips or desperate charging I can go to the nearest supercharger which is about 30km/18mi away from me.

Is that charger on 240 volts or 208 volts? If 208 volts, it's only 6.2 kW. 6.2 kW at 4 miles per kWh (a realistic estimate) is just shy of 25 miles per hour. In cold weather, that will drop to maybe 20 miles per hour of actual range added (rated range will be the same, since it doesn't take cold weather into account).

This could definitely be doable for you, but make sure that you have a Supercharger nearby to make things easier for yourself.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Is that charger on 240 volts or 208 volts? If 208 volts, it's only 6.2 kW. 6.2 kW at 4 miles per kWh (a realistic estimate) is just shy of 25 miles per hour. In cold weather, that will drop to maybe 20 miles per hour of actual range added (rated range will be the same, since it doesn't take cold weather into account).

This could definitely be doable for you, but make sure that you have a Supercharger nearby to make things easier for yourself.

Just found the technical sheet on the exact one by my place:

ELECTRICAL SUPPLY

Standard: 40 A @ 208 VAC or 240 VAC for each charging station

PowerSharing: 40 A @ 208 VAC or 240 VAC for as much as 4 charging station

CHARGING POWER
1.2 kW to 7.2 kW (Maximum configurable by software)

OUTPUT CURRENT

6 A to 30 A (Maximum configurable by software)

And per plugshare this particular one says: 30A, 7.2 kW so I'm not sure what the voltage is?

ELECTRICAL SUPPLY

CHARGING POWER

OUTPUT CURRENT

And per plugshare this particular one says: 30A, 7.2 kW so I'm not sure what the voltage is?

Rated 7.2kW at 30A suggestions 240V. (7200/30=240). It's actually the kW that are the key.

Big Earl was right to ask you to check that detail but that part looks good.

The part above though I'm not sure, that might slow things down if there are other vehicles also parked there charging. Do you normally see other cars charging? It might not be much of an issue if it's just a plug-in hybrid, because they tend to have low draw. But if you get 2 or 3 other there, or something like a new Volt (which can charge faster) it could impact your maximum rate. I'm not familiar with shared street setups like that.

Might be a good idea to create your own thread to ask these question in this sub-forum. Model 3: Battery & Charging

Last edited:
I realized there is subtle difference for some people (me!), range versus efficiency. The RAV4-EV has significantly more range than a LEAF but it is not as efficient. Because we were talking about a car with presumably the same battery size range and efficiency were being conflated in my head. I figured out that I was disappointed about AWD showing lower efficiency but practically speaking the range difference is a non-issue. So in terms of pleasure derived from the car on daily basis, I get plus of AWD but the minus of less efficiency.

I realized there is subtle difference for some people (me!), range versus efficiency. The RAV4-EV has significantly more range than a LEAF but it is not as efficient. Because we were talking about a car with presumably the same battery size range and efficiency were being conflated in my head. I figured out that I was disappointed about AWD showing lower efficiency but practically speaking the range difference is a non-issue. So in terms of pleasure derived from the car on daily basis, I get plus of AWD but the minus of less efficiency.

And the minus of 4,000$ ;)

Reactions: arnolddeleon

ELECTRICAL SUPPLY

CHARGING POWER

OUTPUT CURRENT

Your car will display the voltage when you plug it in. Most commercial buildings are 208 volts (three-phase power), while most residential buildings are 240 volts (split-phase power). There are some exceptions in both directions, so you likely won't know until you actually plug in.

For me its mostly efficiency more than range. Range can be solved easily with more time on a charger/supercharger. Efficiency cannot be solved as easily. I wish it would've been more efficient. I've spent the past week thinking about it constantly and I am finally changing my order from AWD to RWD.

Maybe it might result in a faster delivery, but I just couldn't justify the following:

• 116 (H120/C112) MPGe vs. 130 (H136/C123) MPGe
  • 310 mile range vs. likely 330 mile with RWD
  • $4000 Extra
  • No real need for AWD in my area (Southern California)
  • 0.61g (AWD) vs 0.54g (RWD) isn't significant enough on its own to warrant the lost of efficiency, range, cost, and delivery delays.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r and jsmay311
For me its mostly efficiency more than range. Range can be solved easily with more time on a charger/supercharger. Efficiency cannot be solved as easily. I wish it would've been more efficient. I've spent the past week thinking about it constantly and I am finally changing my order from AWD to RWD.

Maybe it might result in a faster delivery, but I just couldn't justify the following:

• 116 (H120/C112) MPGe vs. 130 (H136/C123) MPGe
  • 310 mile range vs. likely 330 mile with RWD
  • $4000 Extra
  • No real need for AWD in my area (Southern California)
  • 0.61g (AWD) vs 0.54g (RWD) isn't significant enough on its own to warrant the lost of efficiency, range, cost, and delivery delays.
If nothing else, you'll probably get your car sooner.

Dan

So..........I'm starting to regret it now (of course I'm a very finicky person).

I recently learned that a firmware update in the April/May time frame resulted in a reduction of launch performance in the RWD models (0-20 MPH) akin to "turbo lag". This is probably save people's tires from wearing out < 10,000 miles. So that concern about tire wear and "wow" factor of the Model 3 take off needs to be considered (ANY model 3 RWD + Model S P owners could please chime in on this).

• No "lag" during launch take off (existing RWD please chime in)
  • The AWD will distribute the power more evenly limiting the amount of tire wear.
I also experienced this issue significantly on my Spark EV (front tires were near bald after 10-20k miles).

I have a test drive scheduled for a RWD next week so hopefully my edit button is still there by then! I could've done the P-AWD first test drive 1st, but I didn't want to wet my tongue when the RWD might still be good enough for me....haha...

FYI, that software update thing never had any good evidence. I wouldn't put too much belief into that.

RWD 0-20 has always been relatively slow with that turbo lag feel as full power hits after 20,similar to early non P S85's.

EDIT: Edit to add, my Fiat 500e has the exact opposite tuning, very fast 0-20 and then falls totally off a cliff. I found while driving the Fiat i was always gunning it and driving relatively aggressively, while the 3 lulled me into a safer driving style while maintaining passing power at a moments notice.

This acceleration profile feels really luxurious while still being sporty. I am a fan.

Reactions: Big Earl
FYI, that software update thing never had any good evidence. I wouldn't put too much belief into that.

RWD 0-20 has always been relatively slow with that turbo lag feel as full power hits after 20,similar to early non P S85's.

EDIT: Edit to add, my Fiat 500e has the exact opposite tuning, very fast 0-20 and then falls totally off a cliff. I found while driving the Fiat i was always gunning it and driving relatively aggressively, while the 3 lulled me into a safer driving style while maintaining passing power at a moments notice.

This acceleration profile feels really luxurious while still being sporty. I am a fan.

Thanks for that information. I need a real test drive before I can actually confirm the performance. I've driven a variety of vehicles and I have to say my Spark EV has been among the peppiest but the tires were definitely my limiting factor (400 ft lbs on tiny 185s). Its 0-60 is still on 8s range though so...yeah.