Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Changes in feeling toward Tesla

How has your feeling of/toward Tesla changed since the announcement and price changes last week?

• My opinion of Tesla has become MUCH MORE POSITIVE

Votes: 36 9.3%
  • My opinion of Tesla has become SLIGHTLY MORE POSITIVE

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • My opinion of Tesla remains UNCHANGED

Votes: 136 35.1%
  • My opinion of Tesla has become SLIGHTLY MORE NEGATIVE

Votes: 99 25.6%
  • My opinion of Tesla has become MUCH MORE NEGATIVE

Votes: 66 17.1%
  • Who cares about my opinion...I’m sleepy.

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's only slightly improved because I've come to expect them slowly increasing value proposition of their vehicles they have on sale, rather than holding the price line to try extract more revenue from a smaller customer base. The slight improvement is that they're demonstrating that they are able to execute this on the Model 3, and willing to go down the price point scale to do it (rather than with the Model S & X where the focus was more-so on increasing the car's capability while holding the price, relative to inflation).

Let’s say that I still love the product but I’ll likely never again trust them with a preorder/prepay situation. I don’t care about price drops on the car, but the FSD situation continues to kinda bother me since their proposed fix is a program that may or may not actually happen and may or may not meet expectations.

I’ll probably still buy a Model Y but I will not put down money for a reservation and I won’t order until the exact config I want to buy is being delivered to others and proven to be real.

Last edited:
Let’s say that I still love the product but I’ll likely never again trust them with a preorder/prepay situation.

I’ll probably still buy a Model Y but I will not put down money for a reservation and I won’t order until the exact config I want to buy is being delivered to others and proven to be real.
They probably don't really need that anymore, though. The Model 3 was a bootstrap, a huge leap, that they needed all the cash in hand to pull off.

Right now the masses are upset about the price changes, I think buying one of these cars with the state of the company goes with a huge show of support to the technology and the future. I chose to put a reservation for a car I just saw on a dark video on youtube, I chose to wait 2 years for its delivery, I choose to drive a beta testing product on a daily basis, I chose to pay a premium to get it first and show my support to the development of these electric cars.
I don't regret it a bit, I have been enjoying the thrill of getting a new car every month via software upgrades.
I don't feel cheated because I knew what I was signing up for.
As for the showrooms and stores closing I feel sad for the employees losing their jobs, this makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the states that don't allow direct sales to customers. I guess now they don't need to fight this anymore. All highways are now showrooms!

Those are my thoughts on the current state of affairs.

Reactions: DR61 and Nocturnal
They probably don't really need that anymore, though. The Model 3 was a bootstrap, a huge leap, that they needed all the cash in hand to pull off.

Same with the roadster. I fully expect the model y to be basically the same. Probably a signature edition too with some faffy special color and special badge and “priority production” for a bigger deposit or something.

I'm probably the only one, but I think they've made the P3 too cheap and too hard to distinguish from lower trim levels. Call it vanity, but I want to drive a relatively unique car (there are dozens of Model 3s at work, though only three P3s). You can tell a M3 from a 340i from a distance, but you cannot with a Model 3 unless you know the small differences (i.e. red caliper). It doesn't help that they've yet to deliver one of the only other distinguishing factors, spoiler and badge, 6+ months after delivery. So yeah, you could say that while I still love the car, my attitude towards Tesla has soured a little bit.

Yesterday a close friend called all excited about the fact that he could purchase a M3 for such low price. I fully respect Tesla's prerogative to price their products as they wish. But, I must confess that my view of the company, as an owner, investor, and an academic economist has tanked. The reality is that, at least for me, one of the reason I purchased my car was the expectation that we were in part supporting the mission, and that this was a different type of car company. The decision to drastically lower the price, and most disturbing, lure people into buying EAP with the explicit promise that it would be more expense in the future, has left me very unhappy. As an investor, it strikes me (any obviously many others) as a desperate act. And as an economist who spends much of my time estimating price elasticities, it just seems like a bad business decision. If nothing else, it is very difficult if not impossible to accurately estimate the price responsiveness to such drastic price cuts. In any event, I strongly cautioned my friend not the purchase a Tesla, and as I started to list all the downsides, especially for those of us with only one car and who live in rugged winter climates, it was clear after my conversation that Tesla lost a sale. I don't say this out of a sense of joy, but sadness that the future for the company, and for my owners experience, is not a bright one.

I'm probably the only one, but I think they've made the P3 too cheap and too hard to distinguish from lower trim levels. Call it vanity, but I want to drive a relatively unique car (there are dozens of Model 3s at work, though only three P3s). You can tell a M3 from a 340i from a distance, but you cannot with a Model 3 unless you know the small differences (i.e. red caliper). It doesn't help that they've yet to deliver one of the only other distinguishing factors, spoiler and badge, 6+ months after delivery. So yeah, you could say that while I still love the car, my attitude towards Tesla has soured a little bit.
Funny, that’s one of the things I like. I was probably going to upgrade to a Performance next year before last week’s events, and if I did I was going to sell the stupid 20 inch wheels, paint the calipers back to normal color, and take off the spoiler. The badge of course would be dental-flossed off before I even leave the delivery center. Zero interest in playing “show how much I spent” with people I don’t care about

Funny, that’s one of the things I like. I was probably going to upgrade to a Performance next year before last week’s events, and if I did I was going to sell the stupid 20 inch wheels, paint the calipers back to normal color, and take off the spoiler. Zero interest in playing “show how much I spent” with people I don’t care about
I'm with @CrazyCoconut on this one
I have a RWD LR, I made my reservation on day 1, I would have liked a special badge that said something to that effect
MODEL 3
RWD-LR-D1

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
I love the car, and it's not the prices changes that bother me (speaking as someone who bought FSD early), it's the fact that all of these changes seem so erratic. I used to think Tesla had a long-term strategy and plan. Now it seems like they're just throwing darts at the dart board and constantly scrambling to adjust.
erratic is bad.
I can't stand it when Tesla, or any company, won't reveal basic information to shareholders.

Tesla gets 400k reservations.... WE HAVE 400K RESERVATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2019: Elon, what is demand like? how many reservations do you have?
Elon: we're not going to talk about that today.

??????????????????
Apple: we sold 70 million iphones this quarter!!! *high 5s all around*
(Iphone sales drop suddenly)
Apple: we will no longer report sales numbers, but trust us, sales are great!

please tell the owners of the company the truth