Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: current safety score

What is your current safety score?

• 100 - 95

Votes: 253 82.1%
  • 94 - 90

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • 89 - 80

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • 79 - 50

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 50 or less

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is possible. I also think that we could see more delays in FSD Beta going out at all, even to the people with scores of 100. After all, developing FSD beta is difficult. There are lots of edge cases, possible regressions, etc... The dev team could tell Elon that 10.2 is not good enough for wider deployment. Maybe 10.3 won't be good enough for wider deployment.

Yeah, I think the 1000 people per day is suspicious too. it seems like a big number. If they continued at that rate, they would probably deploy FSD Beta to every FSD owner in just a few months. That's not early access, that's wide public deployment.

if they do 1000/day, it could just be until they hit their cap. So if they set a cap to say 10,000 people in Early Access, then they could deploy FSD Beta starting with people with scores of 100 and going down, for 10 days. And then stop deploying.

Maybe I am just feeling pessimistic but I feel like it might be awhile before we actually see FSD Beta.
Elon's initial tweets said "up to 1000" per day, then changed to "~1000". Either way a ramp up could be changed to any number at all based on 'reasons', could be 'cancelling and going to full wide release soon'. Whatever he does it will be different than we're all expecting. Could still happen.

Reactions: Microterf
There are so many unknowns to this equation. How many purchased FSD in the first place then how many of those chose to be part of the beta test and then how many of those scored high enough to qualify to be part of the test and finally how many will Tesla want for the study. I think I'll go have a beer while I wait for the results.

Reactions: plee1024
I just want to get it in the first group so that I can enjoy the novelty factor (worth something!), and then stop using it in nearly all situations. That way if access is removed subsequently it doesn't matter - I'll have lived the experience. And it's all about lived experience these days.

This was my attitude with Smart Summon and NoA. Both perform poorly for me so I stopped using them. But it was cool to try it out when it first came out.

If I get into this FSD beta early access, I'll try to use it on a regular basis because I know it's likely my usage is helping development in some way. I don't think using smart summon or NoA is improving either feature at this point.

I'll try to use it on a regular basis because I know it's likely my usage is helping development in some way

I'll definitely try to use it if I get it, but I'll probably use it only in limited situations. The only real concern I have is increased risk of an accident. The reason I said I'll stop using it in nearly all situations is that I think it will only have a very limited domain of usefulness initially. I still struggle to understand the purpose of it, so I'm also interested in using it for that reason, to see if I can understand why it would be good.

I've thought for a while that sophisticated background active safety measures make more sense than highly capable level 2 systems. It's just tricky to figure out how to best blend human and machine input - in both approaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: nvx1977
I'll definitely try to use it if I get it, but I'll probably use it only in limited situations. The only real concern I have is increased risk of an accident. The reason I said I'll stop using it in nearly all situations is that I think it will only have a very limited domain of usefulness initially. I still struggle to understand the purpose of it, so I'm also interested in using it for that reason, to see if I can understand why it would be good.

I've thought for a while that sophisticated background active safety measures make more sense than highly capable level 2 systems. It's just tricky to figure out how to best blend human and machine input - in both approaches.
my area is pretty low traffic and I don't have weird roundabouts or crazy unprotected turns, so I expect i should have it easy, BUT stupid suburbs put a lot of speed bumps on random streets in my area, and I bet i'll have to disengage for those regularly.

Also, if the 1000/day number is true, I can't imagine it'll take more than a few weeks to work through the list from 100 down to whatever the cutoff is.
I suspect, shortly after the initial deployment and expansion of the beta population, Tesla will take a pause in deployment, due to the new onrush of data and software updates required. Mark my words… if you don’t make it in early, with a high score and high mileage, the wait could be quite long.

looks like I’ll never get it:

166 miles driven.. 63 score!

Just the hazards of having ludicrous mode and living in west LA. And being an aggressive driver!

One gripe is as far as I’ve noticed I’ve had zero forward collision warnings so far and the app has said I’ve had four!? There was one where the car in front of me was turning right out of my lane and already way out of my path and the car flashed it red for half a second, I guess that counted.

At least I’m still earning interest on my FSD deposit. Bar.

Reactions: nilesborg
Started at 100, after 24 hours went to ~53 from ONE FCW from an a..ole. Spent the week working to get it back up to 92, where it has been stuck since Thursday night late. No movement Friday, or today. Planning to be disappointed for several months at least.

Just the hazards of having ludicrous mode and living in west LA. And being an aggressive driver!

One gripe is as far as I’ve noticed I’ve had zero forward collision warnings so far and the app has said I’ve had four!? There was one where the car in front of me was turning right out of my lane and already way out of my path and the car flashed it red for half a second, I guess that counted.

Yah man, after what I've seen score-wise in the Bay Area I can only imagine how hard it will be for you to get that score up in LA... Maybe take a drive up the coast or something hehe. Good luck!

Interesting. I sort of wonder what my score would be if I drove normally. I sort of feel it would be 90ish, but maybe it would lower. Eg I feel like I normally drive safely, but I am a fast driver and they are times where some driver is trying to make a point that we should all be driving the speed limit that if I’m driving, I may need to get around. Interestingly that type of behavior doesn’t bother me as much if I’m letting AP drive.

I also had an unnoticed FCW show up. I think the culprit was that I had the setting on Late, but Safety Score uses Medium sensitivity internally. I changed to Early per a tip from someone here, so hopefully I might have a chance to brake before the Medium sensitivity triggers next time.

I’ve decided, what is the point in owning a fun “sports” car without being able to drive it like a sports car. I give up on my score. I got an 81 on autopilot today, which is 15 points lower than I ever got driving manually. Nothing I’m doing is unsafe, or dangerous, in-fact just the opposite. I’m avoiding other crappy drivers by using my brakes, or getting cut off by a-holes and pulling back in traffic, yet I still get a 96 under manual control.

This is an absurd test by Elon. I wish you all luck in winning the FSD lottery. Hopefully it works well for you and I get it eventually.

In the future, I’ll only give Tesla my hard earned money for things that are real and tangible. I love my M3, but really hate these mind games.

I’ve decided, what is the point in owning a fun “sports” car without being able to drive it like a sports car. I give up on my score. I got an 81 on autopilot today, which is 15 points lower than I ever got driving manually. Nothing I’m doing is unsafe, or dangerous, in-fact just the opposite. I’m avoiding other crappy drivers by using my brakes, or getting cut off by a-holes and pulling back in traffic, yet I still get a 96 under manual control.

This is an absurd test by Elon. I wish you all luck in winning the FSD lottery. Hopefully it works well for you and I get it eventually.

In the future, I’ll only give Tesla my hard earned money for things that are real and tangible. I love my M3, but really hate these mind games.

I think my limit is the first round. I have a road trip planned for the week after and if I don’t get in I’ll probably bail. I’m undecided if I’ll keep the tracking on or off… I’m sort of interested in what the score is for (my) normal driving.

with a high score and high mileage
Why do you think you need high mileage ?

Most high mileage is from highway driving which has zero to do with city FSD beta, anyway.

I can see them do a cut off mileage (like never driven or drove once for a mile with 100 score) - but can't imagine why someone taking a 800 mile road trip to correct the problems with city driving would get preference over someone driving 10 miles in the city.

I fluctuate between 99 and 100 and haven’t really changed my driving style. I figure I’ll get it when I get it. I use AP as much as possible to provide training data to Tesla which will help development. I’ll do the same when I get the beta as I have some very challenging situations (blind intersections, poor lane markings, roundabouts, etc.) that I encounter on a regular basis. I have one blind intersection that’s challenging for a human driver so I’m kinda eager to see how it handles it.

Reactions: plee1024