Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Do you have $10K to lend yourself?

Do you have $10K to lend yourself?

• Yes

Votes: 232 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 9.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be quite shocked if in a forum that still has mostly well off people who could afford to buy an S and/or an X that they wouldn't be able to lend themselves 10k. I don't consider myself near in the same class as most on this forum and 10k would be easy.

That said I have a car note worth ~54k and don't intend to pay it down faster than required because of a 1.49% apr. My savings account through an online credit union is almost making that much already. Let alone stocks/investments.

People are quick to say that a 3% car loan is better than incurring the opportunity cost of paying for the car upfront and not investing the money, but they should be able to answer why the loan company is not investing the money rather than accept a measly 3% return on the car loan and the costs of running the loan and the default risk.

I am asking why they loan at all; why not just invest in the "clearly" better choice of the stock market ?

I think there might be laws limiting the sorts of things banks can do with their money. There are corporate bonds yielding around 5%, but I'm not sure banks would be allowed to invest in those. Also, technically there's risk, but in fact, if you diversify, the risk is low. With car loans there's essentially no risk because the loan is secured by the car itself, which in turn is insured against damage.

Thus lending money on a car at 3% is lower return but also lower risk than corporate bonds yielding 5%. In both cases the risk is low, but banks are supposed to be (and perhaps are required by law to be) ultra-conservative with money that the government insures through the FDIC.

That said, I am extremely averse to debt. The character Wilkins Micawber in Dickens' novel David Copperfield said that the recipe for happiness is to spend sixpence a year less than your income, and the recipe for misery is to spend sixpence a year more than your income. Most Americans seem to feel that the recipe for happiness is to spend as much money as the bank will lend you.

I know I'm arguing both sides of this: You gain 2% on your money by borrowing rather than pulling money out of good investments, but I can't help but feel that the consequences of something going wrong are worse if you are in debt.

If you change your paycheck withholding to account for your lower tax burden, you get the extra money on every paycheck over the course of the year, without having to wait until you file your taxes.

Unfortunately, there are limits to how many deductions you can declare and how much you can reduce your withholding. When I was working, I always ended up getting refunds, no matter what I tried and I was getting recommendations from a tax CPA.

Indeed. Being leveraged is a double edged sword.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be,

For loan oft loses both itself and friend,

And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not then be false to any man.

- Polonius, giving advice to his son. Hamlet, Act I, Scene 3

Shakespeare's wry advice aside, the world of finance has changed somewhat since 1602.

Am I really "in debt" if my assets greatly exceed liabilities? I could sell some savings bonds to pay off my car loan but I purchased them back when interest rates were much higher, I'd have to pay substantial tax on years of accumulated interest, I can never get them back since current rates are quite low, and I retain the bonds for use in an emergency (liquidity). Makes more sense to me to keep my old savings bonds until they mature and pay lower interest on a car loan. This is pretty simple stuff. For those living paycheck to paycheck the calculations might be quite different. Nevertheless, leverage has its uses.

[I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this thread and thank the OP for posting it!]

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
Don't fall into the trap of adjusting your withholding for both federal and your state. I am not sure how states other than California work. California has its own withholding form, the DE4. If you wish to increase your take-home pay to capture your anticipated federal tax credit by increasing your exemptions, be sure to complete a DE4 (or your state's version) simultaneously. You might wind up with a penalty from your state for underwithholding if you do not. Not all employers provide state withholding forms unless the employee specifically asks for one. The assumption is that federal = state for withholding exemptions. Makes the payroll clerk's job easier!

Then put a big reminder on your December 26, 2018, to-do list and change your 2019 federal withholding back to your 2017 withholding exemptions. This is easy to overlook, and no one likes these surprises 15 months later when they file their 2019 taxes in April 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Don't fall into the trap of adjusting your withholding for both federal and your state. I am not sure how states other than California work. California has its own withholding form, the DE4. If you wish to increase your take-home pay to capture your anticipated federal tax credit by increasing your exemptions, be sure to complete a DE4 (or your state's version) simultaneously. You might wind up with a penalty from your state for underwithholding if you do not. Not all employers provide state withholding forms unless the employee specifically asks for one. The assumption is that federal = state for withholding exemptions. Makes the payroll clerk's job easier!
Tricky.

So you mean that CA uses the W-4 unless a DE4 says otherwise ?

If you get a 72 month loan, with just the $3500 down, wait for your EV $ from the Fed & State, for example, $10k total, then pay an extra $200 a month after that, you would end the loan around the same time as a 5 year loan.

I think doing that and doing a 60 month loan with an extra 10k down are pretty similar.

The only difference I can see is the rates at 60 month and 72 month can be different.

My CU has 1.99 at 60 month and 3.19 at 72 month.

If you can find a loan with no difference, I don't see an advantage in "loaning" yourself the money at all, especially if you wanted to do a 60 month lease in the first place.

Last edited:
Like make sub-prime loans ?

I didn't say the regulations were adequate. In that case Congress prohibited the regulators from taking action. But there are some regulations on banks, and I think they might not be allowed to invest in corporate bonds, which was my point in reply to your question of why the banks put their money into consumer loans at 3% rather than into corporate bonds at 5%. They might not be allowed to.

The failure of Congress to allow regulators to regulate the trading of mortgage-backed securities and derivatives linked to them is an entirely different matter.