Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Does your Model S have the "High pitched Whine" under heavy acceleration?

Does your Model S have the "high pitched whine" under heavy acceleration?

• Yes

Votes: 99 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • Other: Please Explain

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't worry so much about something that hasn't happened.

I hear you, but it's not in my nature. Being worried about things that might happen is what makes guys like us good at what we do. Unfortunately, it carries into other areas of my life as well and yeah, it's a part of my nature I could live without sometimes... :D

From my Poll it looks like about 2/3 of owners have the "Squeal" to varying degrees. Maybe I'll get lucky and maybe it won't be very noticeable or maybe it won't be there at all... I'll accept a small squeal if it's not too intrusive. If it sounds like that recording I think I'm going to have a problem though... Either way, I do think it's important for Tesla to be aware of this and keep trying to find a fix. I'm gonna call and ask them to specifically check for this problem before I take delivery, and beyond that, I'm just going to try and keep the faith and hope for the best. :)

I hear you, but it's not in my nature. Being worried about things that might happen is what makes guys like us good at what we do. Unfortunately, it carries into other areas of my life as well and yeah, it's a part of my nature I could live without sometimes... :D

From my Poll it looks like about 2/3 of owners have the "Squeal" to varying degrees. Maybe I'll get lucky and maybe it won't be very noticeable or maybe it won't be there at all... I'll accept a small squeal if it's not too intrusive. If it sounds like that recording I think I'm going to have a problem though... Either way, I do think it's important for Tesla to be aware of this and keep trying to find a fix. I'm gonna call and ask them to specifically check for this problem before I take delivery, and beyond that, I'm just going to try and keep the faith and hope for the best. :)

barey if you read my posts before receiving my P85+, I was going insane anytime someone mentioned something wrong. PLEASE (for your own sanity), wait for your car to arrive. Tesla will replace anything if there is an issue.

I must ask that you follow this picture twice a day after reading any part of TMC--agreed?

meditate_insight_zps4ad0dbc8.png

The P85 I drove in California definitely had it, and the Tesla rep even made a point of drawing my attention to it a "cool" sound the car makes. My S85 doesn't, but it has recently developed the "drone" at freeway speeds when under power (noise goes away when coasting or under Regen)

barey if you read my posts before receiving my P85+, I was going insane anytime someone mentioned something wrong. PLEASE (for your own sanity), wait for your car to arrive. Tesla will replace anything if there is an issue.

I must ask that you follow this picture twice a day after reading any part of TMC--agreed?

meditate_insight_zps4ad0dbc8.png

Good advice.... :D
I did read some of your older stuff and you did sound just like me. Probably a characteristic of the Self Employed. We know that in general, if you don't take action, nothing will likely improve... but your car showed up without a flaw so that gives me hope... I did call Tesla HQ and I sent them the YouTube video of the sound and links to the this Poll and the other thread discussing it. He said he'd do his best to make sure they test for it before I take delivery. The GPS problem too. I'll report back if they say anything more about it.

Wait, you don't even have the car yet?

Nope. Still waiting... I started this Poll only to see if it indeed was "normal" as some folks were trying to say. It's obviously not normal as 35% of people (including TEX) don't have the problem. I'm all for supporting Tesla (TSLA) and I even own some stock in the company, but burying our heads in the sand on something like this isn't helping them. I think something like this would be a deal breaker for many and Tesla needs to be working on getting that 35% number up closer to 100%.

If they can make 35% without the problem then they can make them all without the problem. They just have to figure out what's going wrong with the other 65% and threads like this and phone calls like the one I made today is the only way they are going to know they need to work on it. After talking to Tesla HQ it was my distinct impression that Tesla wasn't even aware of the "ballon squeal". They know about the "whine" but from his description that is just the normal whine of an electric motor. So that's really more why I'm talking about it. To raise awareness and protect the company. It doesn't take much to turn off the public and so far Tesla is doing a fantastic job of PR and I want that to continue.

If they can make 35% without the problem then they can make them all without the problem. .

Well hang on barey, first this is a small group of Tesla owners, so who really know what the percentage is in the real world. Second, there are NO auto manufacturers--ZERO--that can produce every car without an issue 100% of the time. Like cars, watches, electronics, etc there is always room for improvement, but there can be issues.

I will say, I had very serious swirl marks in my paint all over my car, and Tesla is sending a professional detailer (I looked them up on Yelp as well), to my house to fix the issue. Complete re-polish of the entire car. I know of no other auto co that would do that--not Porsche, Audi, any of them. Had the US service manager personally call me this morning to apologize.

It's hard now, and I understand as I was in your shoes as late as this past weekend, but when you get your car you will understand. And when you do have to deal with service (and you will), they are great.

Okay, someone mentioned tranquizers in another thread--come in off the ledge.

Green tea anyone :biggrin:

Nope. Still waiting... I started this Poll only to see if it indeed was "normal" as some folks were trying to say. It's obviously not normal as 35% of people (including TEX) don't have the problem. I'm all for supporting Tesla (TSLA) and I even own some stock in the company, but burying our heads in the sand on something like this isn't helping them. I think something like this would be a deal breaker for many and Tesla needs to be working on getting that 35% number up closer to 100%.

If they can make 35% without the problem then they can make them all without the problem. They just have to figure out what's going wrong with the other 65% and threads like this and phone calls like the one I made today is the only way they are going to know they need to work on it. After talking to Tesla HQ it was my distinct impression that Tesla wasn't even aware of the "ballon squeal". They know about the "whine" but from his description that is just the normal whine of an electric motor. So that's really more why I'm talking about it. To raise awareness and protect the company. It doesn't take much to turn off the public and so far Tesla is doing a fantastic job of PR and I want that to continue.

I would say it's even worse than that, since numerous owners report it is silent at delivery but develops the noise over time. And not even that much time, since the oldest cars are about a year. So the 35% reporting "no" today might be 20% 12 months from now.

I wonder if we are discovering the noise is in fact a "normal feature" of a high-powered electric car.

Well hang on barey, first this is a small group of Tesla owners, so who really know what the percentage is in the real world. Second, there are NO auto manufacturers--ZERO--that can produce every car without an issue 100% of the time. Like cars, watches, electronics, etc there is always room for improvement, but there can be issues.

I will say, I had very serious swirl marks in my paint all over my car, and Tesla is sending a professional detailer (I looked them up on Yelp as well), to my house to fix the issue. Complete re-polish of the entire car. I know of no other auto co that would do that--not Porsche, Audi, any of them. Had the US service manager personally call me this morning to apologize.

It's hard now, and I understand as I was in your shoes as late as this past weekend, but when you get your car you will understand. And when you do have to deal with service (and you will), they are great.

Okay, someone mentioned tranquizers in another thread--come in off the ledge.

Green tea anyone :biggrin:

Okay, okay... I'll drop it now. I do have faith in Tesla or I wouldn't have bought the stock. I just think THIS issue is really an important one. The GPS and other stuff like that, I have no concern about as I know they'll get it sorted. If there is a problem with the drive trains then once it's on your car it's expensive to fix. I'm hoping hey can find a way to improve the drive trains that are coming off the line. The fact that they are made in house gives me hope. I will stop bitching though as I'm coming off way more paranoid/upset than I actually am... My overriding emotion is pure joy and I will attempt to focus on that. Some Green Tea sounds nice...

Last edited:
Mine actually sounds like a siren.

The first time I heard it I was taking some friends for a ride. We were cruising on the freeway and as soon as I had some space I warned my friends and then floored it. I felt that g-force feeling I'm sure you all know about. And then I practically pooped my pants when I heard what I thought was a police car pulling me over. But there was nobody behind me. Fewf. My friends agreed that it sounded like a siren.

I don't mind the sound now that it's expected. I only hear it when I'm demonstrating the acceleration.

No need to explain. We all get it because we've all been there. It just wasn't clear to me that you haven't received delivery yet. Just two things: first, they do know about the balloon squeal. It is absolutely normal. My car has it so I responded to your poll as a "yes." Second, your poll results are compromised because some people like me are confused by the description, thinking you are talking about the normal balloon sound (which occurs only under heavy acceleration) instead of this other sound (which doesn't necessarily occur only under heavy acceleration).

No need to explain. We all get it because we've all been there. It just wasn't clear to me that you haven't received delivery yet. Just two things: first, they do know about the balloon squeal. It is absolutely normal. My car has it so I responded to your poll as a "yes." Second, your poll results are compromised because some people like me are confused by the description, thinking you are talking about the normal balloon sound (which occurs only under heavy acceleration) instead of this other sound (which doesn't necessarily occur only under heavy acceleration).

When you stomp on it, does your Model S make this sound?

Did you not play the YouTube video I posted at the top of the thread? It shows the sound I'm talking about quite clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but the title of the poll is not consistent with the recording. As described by others, this sound doesn't happen only when "you stomp on it" nor is it a "high pitched whine under heavy acceleration." That describes the balloon noise.

Last edited:
Yes, but the title of the poll is not consistent with the recording. As described by others, this sound doesn't happen only when "you stomp on it" nor is it a "high pitched whine under heavy acceleration." That describes the balloon noise.

Internet Polls are considered non scientific for this very reason. You are dealing with all types of people with varying degrees of intelligence, points of view, and personal bias. In the end, you spell it out the best you can and hope that *most* people "get it". There will always be outliers.

Last edited:
Yes. Mine started at 500 miles and continues today at 4,500. In my case, it is louder and more pronounced. I don't at all mind the slight normal whine of the motor but the baloon squeal under heavy load is most annoying. I am hoping for a fix. It is not normal. I trust the engineering team will develop a solution.

==

Everything JohnnyMac says:
- Louder and more pronounced sometimes (sometimes it’s the same as the recording)
- Started at 1000 miles and still going (at 8,000 miles)
- Balloon squeal is very annoying
- Hope for a fix if possible

I now find myself in the same position as bareyb at the start of this thread; anxiously awaiting my car and pouring over the forum for any possible issues. :redface:

Having listened to the recording again, it seems like there are two distinct sounds: The first starts at about 0:06 and builds up before being drown out by the second noise at about 0:08.

The first noise I would describe as the normal winding up of the motor under acceleration (gradually increasing as the motor spins faster).

The second "eeeeeeeeee" noise that cuts in at about 0:08 I would describe as NOT normal because there is no gradual build-up or change in pitch. It just turns on for a while, then turns off again.

I would personally not mind the first noise, but the second could be annoying/embarrassing to deal with.

As mentioned earlier, I don't have the car yet. However, I would prefer Tesla do something about this second, more annoying, noise so it's in the past by the time I get my Model S.