Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:

As @cibermike suggested on this other thread, I have created a "real-time" discussion on Telegram. Here is the link to it:

Tesla humming noise issue

Anyone is free to join. I'll post any updates there, and anybody can share ideas and discuss this issue.

Thank you Mike for the great idea!
You are welcome!

Can you check the options of the TG group? For any reason I cannot write in the channel created (not even see any message), I just see the channel picture and number of subscribers. :S

Reactions: fablau
I am supposed to take delivery at home next week, but I plan on changing it to a service center pickup in case I need to reject it for the noise issue. I don't expect any car to be silent. The car can be as loud as it wants from the outside, but I'm not sure if I can live with the noise if it is significantly audible from within the cabin.

MYP VIN: 269XXX
I'm waiting on my second tesla delivery and my DC has refused to let me pick it up from them. Why do you think they'd let you test drive it before signing/paying? Why wouldn't you have those same rights in a home delivery?

I'm grateful for this thread, though - will look out for this during my delivery Friday - will try to drive before I accept delivery/hand them the cashier's check.

Reactions: fablau
I'm waiting on my second tesla delivery and my DC has refused to let me pick it up from them. Why do you think they'd let you test drive it before signing/paying? Why wouldn't you have those same rights in a home delivery?

I'm grateful for this thread, though - will look out for this during my delivery Friday - will try to drive before I accept delivery/hand them the cashier's check.

Legitimate questions... there shouldn't be any differences in my opinion.

Please, keep us posted with your experience at delivery.

Reactions: AK_MYP

I'm hoping they would at least let me sit in the car with it powered on before finalizing everything. If the noise is going to bother me, I should be able to tell right then and there.

With the car being located at a Tesla property, I feel like not accepting it would be easier compared to it being located at my home.

Reactions: AK_MYP and fablau
I'm hoping they would at least let me sit in the car with it powered on before finalizing everything. If the noise is going to bother me, I should be able to tell right then and there.

With the car being located at a Tesla property, I feel like not accepting it would be easier compared to it being located at my home.

When I picked up mine back in June, I went into a parking lot where there were hundreds of other cars ready to be picked up. I went to my parking number (they sent me the number via text) and went inside the vehicle. I had to sign some documents inside myself (I was alone). Then I gave them back to some Tesla employees when I exited the parking lot. But when I entered my car, I could actually stay inside all the time I wanted. There was nobody checking and telling me anything. If I knew about this problem, I would have tested it for 10-15 minutes! But at that time I didn't know about it, the A/C was on, and I didn't notice the terrible noise until the day after the pickup.

So... yes, I am sure you can stay inside for a while and make a sort of "inspection" of the vehicle, even if you are assisted by Tesla employees. I know you can also make an external inspection for dents, bumps, or anything else. At least, I did that every time I had my Teslas picked up or delivered in my place.

about 3 weeks ago (Performance)

And the noise stops when sentry mode is off? Please, let us know.

Also, if possible:

1. When the noise is off, can you hear it from inside the cabin?
2. When you turn off sentry mode, does the noise stops right away?
3. Does the noise starts as soon as you open a door when sentry mode is on?

I'd like to understand if this is related to what we all are experiencing or it is something else. If you could make a video of it, that'd be even better!

Thank you :)

Yeah, totally. I'm going to insist on at least sitting in the car for several minutes if not driving it. I'll let this group know how it goes.

With that said, is there any suggested methodology for testing whether or not the car has the issue?

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
Yeah, totally. I'm going to insist on at least sitting in the car for several minutes if not driving it. I'll let this group know how it goes.

With that said, is there any suggested methodology for testing whether or not the car has the issue?

I'd check this:

1. Go inside, then turn off the A/C and make sure all windows are closed: Can you hear a pretty loud and annoying humming noise coming from the front-right of the car? If so, check the next point.

2. Try to understand if the noise is coming exactly where the water pumps are located (watch my video again in case). You can hear them very well from the right front wheel of the car if they make that damn noise.

If you can't hear any noise from inside the cabin at point 1 above, make sure it is quiet enough to hear it. And if you are sure it is enough quiet to NOT hear anything, you probably don't have it and you may be among the lucky folks!

If you could also take a video of that while doing this test, that'd be great ;)

Reactions: AK_MYP
I’m sorry that your EV isn’t silent! Who said they would be buy the way? There is mechanical pumps, fans, and other electrical components, including the noises the motors make. On a hot day my Tesla sounds like it’s going to take off in the summer time when I pull it into my garage. The fans are running like crazy to move air through the coils on the bumper of the car. I understand this as I understand how HVAC works. I suggest you do some homework on electronics and HVAC before you start a thread bitching about how Tesla’s are too noisy, lol. This is yet another case of uneducated people! Yes I have had 3 Tesla’s to date, so I do as well know what I’m talking about! Stop the BS and spreading BS on this website.

Reactions: ucsdsig
I’m sorry that your EV isn’t silent! Who said they would be buy the way? There is mechanical pumps, fans, and other electrical components, including the noises the motors make. On a hot day my Tesla sounds like it’s going to take off in the summer time when I pull it into my garage. The fans are running like crazy to move air through the coils on the bumper of the car. I understand this as I understand how HVAC works. I suggest you do some homework on electronics and HVAC before you start a thread bitching about how Tesla’s are too noisy, lol. This is yet another case of uneducated people! Yes I have had 3 Tesla’s to date, so I do as well know what I’m talking about! Stop the BS and spreading BS on this website.
I don't think anyone expects their car to be silent. It all boils down to what is acceptable for interior sound levels. The acceptable level is highly subjective. Is it possible that some cars have a higher noise level than others due to manufacturing variations? Absolutely. Can those louder cars still fall within Tesla's acceptable noise levels? Sure. However, I'm not sure if I would be happy if my current ICE car with the engine running is quieter than my new Tesla.

I wonder what level of noise Tesla accepts as within normal limits.

I can hear it faintly in the cabin since its like a borderline library in there. No Radio/HVAC going. Got in the passenger side.
It's almost inaudible and sounds more like a space ship. Videos limited to my iPhone 11 Max Pro.

You are lucky! Your Model Y doesn't have the humming noise issue! This is GREAT news because that means some cars don't have the problem, so they have something different (either different umps, bearing, etc).

If you compare your video with mine, you'll hear quite a difference in noise from the inside. I am happy for you! Enjoy your car ;)

I am sorry, but you should read this thread from the beginning carefully, and mostly, watch the video I posted on the first post. We are not bitching around.

I don't think anyone expects their car to be silent. It all boils down to what is acceptable for interior sound levels. The acceptable level is highly subjective. Is it possible that some cars have a higher noise level than others due to manufacturing variations? Absolutely. Can those louder cars still fall within Tesla's acceptable noise levels? Sure. However, I'm not sure if I would be happy if my current ICE car with the engine running is quieter than my new Tesla.

I wonder what level of noise Tesla accepts as within normal limits.

You said it all, and I agree 100% ;)

UPDATE:

I have bad news and good news for you guys.

The bad news is that one of the people who reported this issue (and it is in these forums with the nickname @Deutsch100) has just told me that he just exchanged his leased Model Y with a BMW. He said he could not bear the noise anymore. And I perfectly understand him. This is what’s happening around the world folks if Tesla doesn’t tackle this problem soon. @Deutsch100 is probably going to comment on these pages himself soon ;)

The good news is about a guy who reported having the same issue from South Korea via my website, and he told me that several people there have complained about it at their Tesla Service Centers, and they got the problem fixed! I am still in the process to understand how they exactly fixed the problem (pump replacement? Or did they replace any other component?). But this is great news. This guy is also taking his Model Y to his service center next week and will ask to fix it as well. I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this new positive development. By the way, he sent me this video of his Model Y which gives you a very good idea of the noise his car is making:

New video by chino papa

His car’s noise is even worse than mine.

UPDATE:

I have bad news and good news for you guys.

The bad news is that one of the people who reported this issue (and it is in these forums with the nickname @Deutsch100) has just told me that he just exchanged his leased Model Y with a BMW. He said he could not bear the noise anymore. And I perfectly understand him. This is what’s happening around the world folks if Tesla doesn’t tackle this problem soon. @Deutsch100 is probably going to comment on these pages himself soon ;)

The good news is about a guy who reported having the same issue from South Korea via my website, and he told me that several people there have complained about it at their Tesla Service Centers, and they got the problem fixed! I am still in the process to understand how they exactly fixed the problem (pump replacement? Or did they replace any other component?). But this is great news. This guy is also taking his Model Y to his service center next week and will ask to fix it as well. I’ll make sure to keep you posted on this new positive development. By the way, he sent me this video of his Model Y which gives you a very good idea of the noise his car is making:

New video by chino papa

His car’s noise is even worse than mine.
That's exactly what my Model 3 sounds like. Thanks for your efforts. Look forward to hearing how they fixed the issue in South Korea.

Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau
The noise the pumps are making on what appears to be June 2021 to current builds (Y for sure, maybe Model 3 too) are NOT normal in any situation. The noise begins when you open the door and then gets even louder when you put your foot on the brake and select D or R. If it is really hot, the pump(s) are even worse. When you come to a stop, the noise is so loud that it goes over music and normal conversation.

I did THREE test drives before my MYP arrived on 8/15/21 and none made this awful noise. There are now enough people speaking up in the USA and even in Asia now about this problem. EVs are not silent, but NONE should ever make this horrific noise! FYI, my MYP is my 5th EV....so I am not an EV newbie. I have been driving EV since 2017!

Reactions: Falcon73 and fablau