Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Does your Model Y make this humming sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To fablau: Just out of curiosity have you tried to reach in and feel the vibration on the pump motors. I wonder if they might be mounted wrong or not tightened to the mounts correctly. The impeller might be out of balance or there might be interference between the impeller and the housing. It is curious that some models have the problem and some don't. I can't imagine Tesla has differing suppliers for this component such that different builds the same time period would have different parts. I would be curious to see how this motor/impeller is mounted in the housing. Is it a direct connection with a common shaft or is there a coupling allowing the motor to be exchanged without purging/refilling the system?

Reactions: fablau
yes, the intensity of the noise varies. Sometimes, it's sounded like my ICE volvo when the radiator fans are going and other times, it's just low hum and depending on what I'm doing with the car, the you'll actually hear the pitch change up and down.
We took delivery yesterday. 8/21 build.
If that's the standard now, fine but they need to look into some dampeners or something to at least muffle the sound. The only thing the sound is good for is letting people know there's a car coming.

Thanks for the details. Fact is, the standard shouldn't be that! That's a very, very low standard that Tesla and Tesla owners shouldn't accept!

The only thing that confuses me is what you say about: "The only thing the sound is good for is letting people know there's a car coming"... which makes me think... how can people hear that together with the pedestrian warning system from the outside? With the pedestrian warning system on, I think it is impossible for people outside to hear the humming noise of the water pumps. Do you really mean that people can hear the humming sound from the outside while the pedestrian warning system is playing from the front speaker?

Finally, there is no way to "dampen" the noise produced by the water pumps. That's a vibration transmitted through the whole front chassis of the car, so... there's actually no way to dampen that in order to avoid hearing it from the inside.

To fablau: Just out of curiosity have you tried to reach in and feel the vibration on the pump motors. I wonder if they might be mounted wrong or not tightened to the mounts correctly. The impeller might be out of balance or there might be interference between the impeller and the housing. It is curious that some models have the problem and some don't. I can't imagine Tesla has differing suppliers for this component such that different builds the same time period would have different parts. I would be curious to see how this motor/impeller is mounted in the housing. Is it a direct connection with a common shaft or is there a coupling allowing the motor to be exchanged without purging/refilling the system?

Good question. The answer is that they are mounted correctly (unfortunately, I wished that was the problem!). All technicians that saw my car confirmed that and as I can tell, all new Model Ys and Model 3s have this problem, so it can't be an "assembly" problem, whereas it is most probably a "part" issue. Actually, I think the problem is due to the fact Tesla has probably changed suppliers for those pumps a while ago (due to the global supply chain shortages) by replacing the previous pumps with these new noisy ones.

Thanks for the details. Fact is, the standard shouldn't be that! That's a very, very low standard that Tesla and Tesla owners shouldn't accept!

The only thing that confuses me is what you say about: "The only thing the sound is good for is letting people know there's a car coming"... which makes me think... how can people hear that together with the pedestrian warning system from the outside? With the pedestrian warning system on, I think it is impossible for people outside to hear the humming noise of the water pumps. Do you really mean that people can hear the humming sound from the outside while the pedestrian warning system is playing from the front speaker?

Finally, there is no way to "dampen" the noise produced by the water pumps. That's a vibration transmitted through the whole front chassis of the car, so... there's actually no way to dampen that in order to avoid hearing it from the inside.
I was being sarcastic when I said that’s the only good thing about it. I drove it yesterday evening and for a couple minutes I was low key embarrassed because the car was screaming. I didn’t have the radio on so I could hear it pretty loud from the inside. I someone was walking on the sidewalk, they would definitely hear that sound and know that a car is coming which is the opposite of the typical notion that Teslas are quiet. That was what I meant.
I’m not sure I agree that all new Ys and 3s come like that now. At our delivery, a few other cars were picked up including the one next to ours while we were there and I didn’t hear them make that sound. Now I really wish I brought it up while we were there but after 3 hours of dealing with delivery issues and dripping with sweat, we were ready to go and didn’t remember.

Reactions: Deutsch100
I was being sarcastic when I said that’s the only good thing about it. I drove it yesterday evening and for a couple minutes I was low key embarrassed because the car was screaming. I didn’t have the radio on so I could hear it pretty loud from the inside. I someone was walking on the sidewalk, they would definitely hear that sound and know that a car is coming which is the opposite of the typical notion that Teslas are quiet. That was what I meant.
I’m not sure I agree that all new Ys and 3s come like that now. At our delivery, a few other cars were picked up including the one next to ours while we were there and I didn’t hear them make that sound. Now I really wish I brought it up while we were there but after 3 hours of dealing with delivery issues and dripping with sweat, we were ready to go and didn’t remember.

Again, are you sure you are not confusing the humming issue I am talking about with the pedestrian warning system? The humming issue I am highlighting here is pretty hard to hear from the outside unless you are in a completely quiet environment. But you can always hear it from the inside, even when the car is parked (in park mode, not in drive or reverse).

I don't have my car yet but I'm keeping an eye on this issue. One of the things that draws me to EVs is how quiet they are, both for interior and exterior noise. This seems like something that would cause me to refuse delivery if Tesla doesn't make an effort to provide a fix.

In my very limited experience with Teslas, I would agree that this is not an issue that plagues all new builds. My friend just picked up his MYLR with a July build date and he does not have this sound.

Good question. The answer is that they are mounted correctly (unfortunately, I wished that was the problem!). All technicians that saw my car confirmed that and as I can tell, all new Model Ys and Model 3s have this problem, so it can't be an "assembly" problem, whereas it is most probably a "part" issue. Actually, I think the problem is due to the fact Tesla has probably changed suppliers for those pumps a while ago (due to the global supply chain shortages) by replacing the previous pumps with these new noisy ones.
From the comments on this thread as well as elsewhere NOT all Model 3/Y's have this problem. I think it is an assembly issue

I don't have my car yet but I'm keeping an eye on this issue. One of the things that draws me to EVs is how quiet they are, both for interior and exterior noise. This seems like something that would cause me to refuse delivery if Tesla doesn't make an effort to provide a fix.

In my very limited experience with Teslas, I would agree that this is not an issue that plagues all new builds. My friend just picked up his MYLR with a July build date and he does not have this sound.

Please, keep us posted with your upcoming delivery.

As for your friend's Model Y, can you confirm with 100% certainty that your friend doesn't have this problem? You are the first one reporting this with one of the newest cars. Everyone that has a Model Y or Model 3 built in the last 2-3 months has confirmed having this humming noise.

From the comments on this thread as well as elsewhere NOT all Model 3/Y's have this problem. I think it is an assembly issue

Actually, I don't see many people reporting NOT having this issue with the last 2-3 months built models (with the only exception of @K-Fresh above, still to clarify though). Many people reported not having this issue, but in the end, they had older cars and confused this specific problem with something else.

UPDATE:

I wanted to give an update to everybody. I am finalizing the draft of the main petition which will be sent to Tesla and a bunch of consumer-protection organizations, and I'll do that as soon as I have received support from at least 100 people. If you want to add your name to that petition, please, visit my website below and fill the form at the bottom of it:

In the meantime, I have created a second petition on change.org about it, please, visit the page below and be sure to add your name to it.

Sign the Petition

The more buzz we can make about this issue, the more chances we have Tesla will take it seriously. Please, share the above links anywhere you can (FaceBook, Twitter, Tesla clubs, forums, etc) as well as with friends, family, etc... the more people know about this issue the better!

I’ll continue to keep you posted about all this. Thank you for your support again!

All the best,

• Love
Please, keep us posted with your upcoming delivery.

As for your friend's Model Y, can you confirm with 100% certainty that your friend doesn't have this problem? You are the first one reporting this with one of the newest cars. Everyone that has a Model Y or Model 3 built in the last 2-3 months has confirmed having this humming noise.
I test drove his car and heard no such sound. Although to be fair, I wasn’t aware of the problem at the time. But I spent a good amount of time getting acclimated prior to driving and don’t remember hearing anything.

Then I shared your video with him and he went to check it out. He kept thinking it was the AC or heat pump. In other words, he did hear sounds but what he described to me didn’t match with your descriptions.

I test drove his car and heard no such sound. Although to be fair, I wasn’t aware of the problem at the time. But I spent a good amount of time getting acclimated prior to driving and don’t remember hearing anything.

Then I shared your video with him and he went to check it out. He kept thinking it was the AC or heat pump. In other words, he did hear sounds but what he described to me didn’t match with your descriptions.

That's great to know! This would be the first new Model Y reporting NOT having this issue. Where is your friend located? If he were near me I'd like to meet him and compare our cars ;) If his new car is really quiet compared to mine, my hope is that either Tesla has installed quiet pumps on some new cars or there is another kind of fix that can be easily applied to solve it (i.e. different component or, as @No_ICE mentioned above, an assembly related issue?)

Again, are you sure you are not confusing the humming issue I am talking about with the pedestrian warning system? The humming issue I am highlighting here is pretty hard to hear from the outside unless you are in a completely quiet environment. But you can always hear it from the inside, even when the car is parked (in park mode, not in drive or reverse).
I’m not sure what the pedestrian warning sound is like. There’s a droning sound when you’re in reverse but that’s only in reverse and not a problem. My sound is more like an ICE engine radiator fan blowing at full speed like you’d hear in. Mercedes or Volvo with the big fans. It’s full blast when the car is awake and it’s a low hum when it’s not in use. It shuts off when the car sleeps.
I’m going to wait till the car goes in for service to see what they say and try to compare with other MYs too.

After taking my M3 to the SC in Berkeley twice with the same result, I took it to the SC in San Rafael. The response was the same, "it is not out of the normal range". It sounds like the diagnosis from the SCs are a little too close to the same. So I decided to try to look at it myself. I took off the two shrouds and put a stethascope to the parts I could get to and it seems to be coming from a can labeled SUPER MANIFOLD part number 1547595-96-0, made in Mexico. It sounds like a lot of people have their A/C fail because of this part, so it may be hard to get Tesla to change it for a noise issue. It's possible that the noise is coming from a part I cant reach, but is transfering vibration to this part. Any thoughts?
IMG_0514.JPG