Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Frequent black screen at startup?

Frequent black screen at startup?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno about frequent, but I get it periodically. Mostly when it's been in deep sleep for more than a day, but it has happened a few times when the car was just driven a couple of hours ago.

Bizarrely, the car still works sometimes even when the screen is black. I can flick the stalk to R or D and just start heading out. Screen eventually turns on while I'm driving. Since I can drive, it doesn't overly bother me.
Someone did a video where they removed the screen entirely.. For testing... Everything worked EAP, music, driving, cruise control etc. I used to worry about rebooting while driving but after seeing that I'm less worried.

I get an unresponsive screen from time to time. It lights up but completely unresponsive to any touch and LTE shows no connection. It's gone on for over 10 minutes sometimes

I was hoping for a sw update fix but no luck.

Now I have to decide when the annoyance of the startups exceeds the annoyance of trying to convince service to replace the computer board along with the likely several hour long trips to service....
I’ve not heard of this ever being fixed with a firmware update... though it’s what service kept telling me. A new CPU was the answer for me and many others. Prepare to lose all settings and memories! Only thing that will be retained is the odometer.

Finally put me over the edge was needing to move the car quickly and having it effectively in operable for two minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and TEG
I was hoping for a sw update fix but no luck.

Now I have to decide when the annoyance of the startups exceeds the annoyance of trying to convince service to replace the computer board along with the likely several hour long trips to service....

The claim I have heard locally from a service tech is that the fix is coming in firmware 52. Not sure how long that will be but I think they're up to 50.7 right now.

It makes little sense to see that hardware DOES fix it while we keep hearing about a coming software fix? Why does hardware fix it????

Can't say without inside info. But I can envision a situation where an older hardware revision has a particular bug that has been solved in later revisions, but is also fixable by a software change designed to not trigger the bug.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
Can't say without inside info. But I can envision a situation where an older hardware revision has a particular bug that has been solved in later revisions, but is also fixable by a software change designed to not trigger the bug.
I suppose you're right. Just seems odd, I guess. And nobody likes to continue hearing "just hold tight. This will eventually be fixed with software" when we already know they've fixed it... with hardware. Sure would be a great money savings if they could flash the fix!

I've had delayed 30+ seconds of black screen followed by "T" (looks like a reboot) twice while getting into the car on 50.6. This never happened before.
This happens all the time for me at least 50% of the time I enter the car over the entire 7,000+ miles I've had it and across all firmware versions. I thought this was normal? No way I would rob a bank with this car.

• Funny
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
This happens all the time for me at least 50% of the time I enter the car over the entire 7,000+ miles I've had it and across all firmware versions. I thought this was normal? No way I would rob a bank with this car.

99% of the time for me, the screen turns on as soon as the door opens so you might want to get that checked out. However even if the screen is off you can put it in reverse/drive and drive it, so still great for bank robberies.

• Funny
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
99% of the time for me, the screen turns on as soon as the door opens so you might want to get that checked out. However even if the screen is off you can put it in reverse/drive and drive it, so still great for bank robberies.
I use easy entry and run the seat all the way back and have the steering wheel all the way up. So I would have to manually adjust my steering wheel and seat first. I don't think my car has ever lost more than 1 mile range per day and I've went a couple days unplugged where it only lost 1 mile Of course I get to wait on the black screen then Tesla logo. Given how several people complain about vampire drain I think I'll keep everything the way it is.

I use easy entry and run the seat all the way back and have the steering wheel all the way up. So I would have to manually adjust my steering wheel and seat first. I don't think my car has ever lost more than 1 mile range per day and I've went a couple days unplugged where it only lost 1 mile Of course I get to wait on the black screen then Tesla logo. Given how several people complain about vampire drain I think I'll keep everything the way it is.

Wait is there an option to have my car fully off like that? I lose anywhere from 5-15 miles of vampire drain a day, on extended days when I'm not driving or traveling, I wouldn't mind turning it off to stop the drain. I never knew I could.

Wait is there an option to have my car fully off like that? I lose anywhere from 5-15 miles of vampire drain a day, on extended days when I'm not driving or traveling, I wouldn't mind turning it off to stop the drain. I never knew I could.
Well I updated to 50.6 8 days ago and now my car is using 5 or so miles a day. But hey my screen is no longer black when I open my door. :(

This issue is frustrating me beyond good reason. I am always in a hurry and I cannot safely back out of my garage without my backup cam. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It will happen about 50% of the time and all the rebooting in the world changes nothing.
It might happen when the car has been asleep for overnight or it might happen when I have been out of the car for 5 minutes picking up dry cleaning.