Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Frequent black screen at startup?

Frequent black screen at startup?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aside from one time when the entire system froze and I had to reset it, I had never experienced this issue until the latest update to 2019.5.15 (f5def7e) and now when I put in reverse the screen goes black for a solid 2-3 seconds. I've tried doing a forced reboot, but that did not fix the issue. If I turn on the camera before reversing, as I usually do when backing into my garage, there is no issue.

Going in for service next week for issue with my LTE randomly being disabled when car is parked, will ask about the camera.

Reactions: JeffK
Agree. 5.15 fixed reboot on startup issue, but now I also occasionally have the rear camera briefly (a second or two) black when I put in reverse immediately after starting car.

This is just a theory here: I’ll bet slow responding camera used to cause reboot because software detected “fatal” error on startup. And they fixed it by ignoring that. So briefly black camera is remnant if same bug.

Regardless, I can live with occasional 2 second backup camera delay vs 30 second reboots.

HI All, I'n new to this forum and have an issue I hope someone can clarify. I purchased my M3 in November 2018 and never had any issue with it until I updated to 2019.5.15 last Sunday (3/17/19). For a little more background, the Brooklyn SC updated this for me while in the shop. They were replacing my rear window because it had a small chip in in from the inside that seems to have happened during manufacturing and I didn't notice until I hand washed the car 3 weeks ago. Since then, about 20 minutes into driving my screen reboots. The first time my wife was driving and she freaked out. It scared the heck out of both of us, and has happened every single day this week while driving. I did a reboot (pressing both steering knobs) but it's still happens. Before I call the SC I wanted to know if there's anything else I should try before going back to the SC. Thank You!

HI All, I'n new to this forum and have an issue I hope someone can clarify. I purchased my M3 in November 2018 and never had any issue with it until I updated to 2019.5.15 last Sunday (3/17/19). For a little more background, the Brooklyn SC updated this for me while in the shop. They were replacing my rear window because it had a small chip in in from the inside that seems to have happened during manufacturing and I didn't notice until I hand washed the car 3 weeks ago. Since then, about 20 minutes into driving my screen reboots. The first time my wife was driving and she freaked out. It scared the heck out of both of us, and has happened every single day this week while driving. I did a reboot (pressing both steering knobs) but it's still happens. Before I call the SC I wanted to know if there's anything else I should try before going back to the SC. Thank You!
If it's like mine, I'm sure it's related to this current firmware.

Try a hard reboot. Hold in both thumbs until the T appears on screen. If that doesnt work then log time/date of each occurrence for a week, contact service center, and give them that info. Ask them to have corporate promptly pull your car’s logs and check for cause. Promptly because logs only retained 2 weeks. You may be able to avoid inconvenience of a service appointment, tho you also may have to wait until corrected in software.

On Saturday, I wanted to review some of my TeslaCam videos so I popped out the drive and stuck it into my computer. To my surprise, there were a couple of new folders containing a ton of blank files (0 bytes). I went ahead and formatted (FAT32) and recreated the "TeslaCam" folder, popped it back in my car and performed a soft reset (holding down both steering wheel buttons). Haven't had the black screen since...

This seemed to be the fix for me. Can anyone else verify?

I'm using a Sandisk FIT 32gb drive.

Just wanted to provide a quick update - dropped car at service center this morning and mentioned the camera. SC advisor said it was a known issue caused by one of the recent updates that should be fixed soon.

A few minutes ago I received an app notification that I was updated to 2019.8.4 so hoping that includes a fix for the reverse camera delay. Car should be ready in a couple hours.

@nizmo I'll try your suggestion is the issue persists, I believe I have the exact same Sandisk as you as well.

Last edited:
Try a hard reboot. Hold in both thumbs until the T appears on screen. If that doesnt work then log time/date of each occurrence for a week, contact service center, and give them that info. Ask them to have corporate promptly pull your car’s logs and check for cause. Promptly because logs only retained 2 weeks. You may be able to avoid inconvenience of a service appointment, tho you also may have to wait until corrected in software.
Since my last post it happened again! :-( While on the highway this Saturday, I had my music turned up pretty loud and the screen made a screeching noise the same level as my music for about 20 seconds. It was pretty scary since it was extremely loud and I had to look for someplace to pull over. When I finally did the screen noise stopped and the screen rebooted. I was not doing anything special just driving, with no other things going on. I'm pretty happy I didn't have autopilot engaged because I do not know what it would have done... I'm ot a happy camper. I'm stubborn and will give it one more try before I go to SC. BTW, Yes I rebooted a few times after the first time this happened. Thanks All!

Hi all: I’ve got an LR 3, picked it up July 13, 2018 (yes, it was Friday!), Vin 27xxx. My screen goes out or has a 30+ sec delay several times a day. Every morning I get a 3 - 10 sec delay backing out of the garage. Within the past month, I have rebooted the screen a dozen times. No apps installed, and I’m at 9.8 (and I voted).

I’m scheduling an appointment at the local SC. Hope my stash of Glenlivet holds out until then.

My story: Received my car only 3d ago (odometer reading of 145 miles). Experienced a black screen for the 1st time after parking to get some lunch. Weather was warm and heated up the interior to 96F or so (according to the phone app). Got back into the car with my wife after about 20 min. Screen was black... total confusion for us noobs... it was hot inside the car and A/C didn't work even when activated from the phone apps, but the windows still worked... radio obviously still working...

I'm driving back to the office and try to adapt my speed to the current traffic since I didn't know how fast I was going. Then I remembered the sales rep talking about pushing both scroll buttons of the steering wheel to reset the computer. After having parked, I pushed both buttons for 20+ seconds since I didn't know how long I was supposed to press. At some point I thought should let the buttons go b/c nothing happened to the screen -- and bam, the screen was back alive. *whew* big relief...

Now I'm worried...

Software version: 2019.12.1.2