Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How Actively Are You Promoting Your Referral Code?

How Actively Are You Promoting Your Referral Code?

• Not a Model S owner; not participating

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Owner; but not participating

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Owner; told some friends/family, that's it

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Owner: Shared code on social media

Votes: 22 12.1%
  • Owner: Actively promiting online and offline!

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got my code out there in Social media, I'll provided info and test ride to help a buyer make the decision. Bjorn Nylund's latest video indicates that he has 10 referral users already. He mentioned the leader in the EU besides him has 4. The leader in North America has 6. That info is available somewhere. Perhaps through "My Tesla'

Yesterday a van started following me around town. I'm new Tesla owner so it took me a while to figure out that he just wanted to talk Tesla. He pulled up behind me when I stopped and I had him sit behind the wheel if he promised not to drive off. :smile: He had a real interest in the car so I told him about the referral program. He asked how to reach me if he takes the leap. An overall nice experience.

Already the poll results are interesting. Now I wanna know, of the owners not participating or who've only shared referral to friends/family, why?

• Too busy?
• Don't want to show off, don't want to be conspicuous?
• Tend to downplay Tesla ownership because it's so expensive a car?
• Don't believe in the referral program?
• Have already made tons of referrals with no incentive, and this referral $ has a bad taste?

I've probably "sold" five Model S in the last two years to various people (mostly other families at my daughter's school, we were the first Tesla and now in the mornings there are 7 or 8 and in all but one case I gave them a test drive or showed off the car and talked about it prior to them ordering.) Where I live the Tesla is no longer rare, most people who can afford one know about them and I just don't see that I'm going to get any real return for any effort I might put in now.

Had they had this program two years ago, sure, I would have given out the code with every talk I gave about the car and test drive I did, etc. Now, can't be bothered. Model S is already the best selling large luxury car in California! :cool:

Perhaps I hang out with the wrong crowds but nobody I know except this crazy Tesla community is up for buying a $100K car. I love my Tesla but everyone I know outside this community thinks I'm a nut.

Haha, most I know can't afford it or wouldn't want to spend that much on a car, but very few think I'm crazy for doing it. Once they see it, and if they drive in, most seem to get why I chose to do it.

Regarding the poll, I sing it's praises to my friends and acquaintances all the time, but I'm not interested in being a Tesla salesperson. If someone I know indicates they intend on buying, then I'll broach the subject, but I'm not sending out emails and such.

I'm not comfortable "selling" people this way so that I get a commissioned sale. I just don't like doing that kind of thing. I would share if someone asked me (then, they're asking for the $1,000 off instead of me selling them something for my benefit; ChadS good idea re the 2nd $1,000).

I think it's a great experiment, one that Tesla will get all sorts of additional information because they ran it. Although it was explained publicly the rewards were essentially the same cost as opening up a sales centre and that's why they were doing it, I think the data they'll generate from GPS'd referral aggregation will be actually worth more to them, for future planning.

At first I thought someone would game the system and that X would be gone in a day or two.
Looks like only 3 people with 4 referrals so far in the US. So I got to thinking last night, I live in Wyoming and they don't have a Tesla stores for hundred of miles around me. I would have loved if someone closer would have offered just to let me ride in a Tesla before I bought. So I'm open to let people swing by my office or house to test out my Tesla. I could give them advice on driving is areas with lack of super chargers and maybe hook them up with some adapters if they use my code if they decide to get a Tesla.

I think that's the point of the program is to grow in the states with less Telsa presence, I'd be happy to help regardless of the referral. If I did manage to get a Model X some day I would also be promoting the hell out of that too. I've made few videos for my Tech Podcast Too Smart Guys and they have quite a few views and a lot of positive feedback. Thinking about making one on the cost of ownership and maybe listing other tesla owners emails in states without Tesla Stores that would be willing to give some a ride or test drive to people that would use their referral code.

So if you want a mention on my show I've got 11k subscribers and our videos have over 3.6 Million views. Just DM me with the contact info you would like me to post. I'll be recording it late tonight or tomorrow night.

I've been showing the car to people at every opportunity since I took delivery. I'll continue despite the referral program not because of it. People often ask me if I work for TMC because I'm just that enthusiastic about the car, the company and the technology. Telling them about the referral commission could cause folks to be suspicious about my endorsement of the car.

I personally do not believe the program will 'sell' many more cars than would have been purchased anyway. I also don't think the referral program eliminates the need for stores. People spending $100,000 are still going to want to test drive one (probably a few times) and see the various options with their own eyes. Also, saving $1,000 isn't likely to change the decision about a purchase at this price point. Heck, the price of a Model S in Canada just went up $7,000 (7%) on Monday due to our weak dollar. Bet the increase won't deter many sales in the long term.

At the end of the day, it's all a grand experiment and active participation is optional.

Reactions: Aieukl378
I'm curious to see how folks here are treating the referral program personally. Meh? Excited? Actively pushing it? Eager to earn $1000 or more?

I "show and tell" regularly(might add that option to the poll). So many vids, social media etc. out there, I prefer a more grass roots approach. I will show/tell to absolutely anyone who will listen, I give rides etc. and give referral codes(tho the referral "prizes are not my primary motivation).

Last edited:
Can those owners not actively participating but have friends buying Tesla point me in their direction?

Im not actively promoting mostly because i dont know how to do it and im kind of a introvert. I would love to save ANYONE buying a Tesla $1000 and give them unlimited supercharging. Just the other day i was at best buy getting an Ipad, It was cheaper on B and H, and i had them pricematch. I saw the person behind me was buying the same ipad. I had the best buy person pricematch on their behalf.

To me, if i can save a person some money why not? If each new Tesla owner donated that $1000 to charity instead of to Tesla, we would live in a better world.