Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many are still using original 12V Battery that came with the car?

Is your Model 3 still using its original 12 volt battery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 is a 2020 which I only recently bought with about 26k miles. I started to receive notices about the 12v battery needing replacement, and whenever the car was sitting idle in my garage and not driven for a few days it would really lose a large number of miles in the range shown. Following great information read on other threads in this Forum I just showed up at the local Dealership and was elated to learn that my battery was still under warranty and they replaced it in less than 20 minutes. Over the next week the range actually went up 2 or 3 miles twice overnight, and now the loss of range is only 1 or 2 miles at the most.

Had to change my vote. I found some significant corrosion on the negative terminal last week and mobile service replaced my 12V battery today (and cleaned up the connector) under warranty in my May 2021 built 3. The photo is after I scraped some it off.
12V 2023-08-16.jpg

My original one on my model 3 lasted 2 years and 11 months. I just got the warning that my current one is dying and it's been 2 yrs and 5 months. I'm in Florida and it really hot.
However my ice car Lotus used to go through them every 4 years or less and I bought the optima one that looks like a six pack. I decided to get a smaller Odyssey one and keep it on a battery tender charger and so far that's lasted 7 years and it's still going strong.
I wish we could hook up a battery tender to the 12 volt battery in the Tesla, but I heard that it might screw things up. I'm having mobile service coming a few days so I will ask the tech if it's okay to do it or not.

My original one on my model 3 lasted 2 years and 11 months. I just got the warning that my current one is dying and it's been 2 yrs and 5 months. I'm in Florida and it really hot.
However my ice car Lotus used to go through them every 4 years or less and I bought the optima one that looks like a six pack. I decided to get a smaller Odyssey one and keep it on a battery tender charger and so far that's lasted 7 years and it's still going strong.
I wish we could hook up a battery tender to the 12 volt battery in the Tesla, but I heard that it might screw things up. I'm having mobile service coming a few days so I will ask the tech if it's okay to do it or not.
Older ICE don't have a whole bunch of computers to sip off your 12v 24/7.

I am finally going to break down and "proactively" replace the 12V in our Model 3. I am going out of town for work and my wife has to take our daughter to an out of town sports tournament in the Model 3 over MLK weekend. I cannot risk her having to deal with this when I'm not around.
6 years from date of manufacture seems extraordinarily good for a 12V AGM battery.

AtlasBX Battery_IMG_2382.jpg

I have a 2018 Model 3 and had it replaced a few months ago. The tech came out to do a recall on the trunk hatch wiring harness and commented that the battery was original and to be aware that having a dead 12V battery is a bigger issue than if it died on an ICE car.

Had it proactively replaced by Tesla, so it lasted about 62 months.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Almost 6 years old on our 2018 with 56k miles, temps in the teens next week so just proactively scheduled the 12v replacement finally after the last 2 years debating. Not taking any chances this winter, and not worth the hassle when she does die.

• Informative
By the way this should be a mobile option if available in your area. The service center crap still hasn’t changed since 2018 when we got our 1st Tesla, trying to charge for diagnose fee when I specified in the request that I’m doing this for a preventative maintenance due to the age of the battery. This is a different service center too that opened last year so it’s not like the one we used while the car was under warranty. I was like WTF, what alerts do I have assuming they remote into my car when I couldn’t find any.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.png
    IMG_2266.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Informative
What is the consensus?
Tesla mobile service
Or
Amazon and DYI
Consensus of what? If you're asking where to buy the battery, it's always been less expensive directly from Tesla. If you're near a Tesla Service Center go buy it there and install it yourself. If you don't want to spend the 10 minutes it takes to install then pay the extra money have Tesla mobile service do it.

• Love
Reactions: SalisburySam
21 3LR AWD with 75k miles 12v died at home while charging with no prior notification. Tesla app notified me that the 12v needed replacing, provided a link to make and appointment and took it into the SC the next morning. The car was inoperable and the driver door, windows were inop, the car wouldn't go into R or D and the rear hatch catch malfunctioned. I had to put the battery on a 12v traditional battery charger overnight then do a hard reset of the car by disconnecting the fireman loop for 5+ mins. For $188 the SC replaced the 12v battery and rear trunk catch and I was heading home in 1 hour.

Reactions: Ritz
Consensus of what? If you're asking where to buy the battery, it's always been less expensive directly from Tesla. If you're near a Tesla Service Center go buy it there and install it yourself. If you don't want to spend the 10 minutes it takes to install then pay the extra money have Tesla mobile service do it.
Extra money as in only $25 for them to install it for a piece of mind, and service history is a no brainer.

Extra money as in only $25 for them to install it for a piece of mind, and service history is a no brainer.
I think they wanted me to pay $35 for the labor, but whatever, I passed and just bought the battery alone. It's hardly a piece of mind thing to have them do it though, as I said before it's a 10 minute job and couldn't be easier to install. Way easier than rotating tires or replacing a flat tire. These are things everyone should know how to do, should you be in a situation where you can't reach mobile service or AAA. People really need to know how to do these little things, yet it seems like people don't and I'm surprised they know how to change light bulb, but probably not since most are LED bulbs and rarely burn out. lol

Reactions: kpanda17
I think they wanted me to pay $35 for the labor, but whatever, I passed and just bought the battery alone. It's hardly a piece of mind thing to have them do it though, as I said before it's a 10 minute job and couldn't be easier to install. Way easier than rotating tires or replacing a flat tire. These are things everyone should know how to do, should you be in a situation where you can't reach mobile service or AAA. People really need to know how to do these little things, yet it seems like people don't and I'm surprised they know how to change light bulb, but probably not since most are LED bulbs and rarely burn out. lol

Its a 10 minute job until you drop the 90 degree vent piece, then it took my mobile tech another 15 to find and fish it out. Poor guy.

Its a 10 minute job until you drop the 90 degree vent piece, then it took my mobile tech another 15 to find and fish it out. Poor guy.
And that's another reason to do it yourself, because that tech wasn't careful. But anyone who has done work on vehicles has lost a small part in an area that is difficult to retrieve and end up spending more time finding it then the work they originally were doing. And it's not just with vehicles, it's anything with tight spaces.