Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

• No

Votes: 119 23.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 393 76.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh, I wasn't qualified for the tax credit anyway. I'm more concerned that my state legislature can't get their act together to allow Tesla to sell here, thereby allowing Model 3s to receive the state EV rebate...

I'm in CT, too. You'll get the $3000 state rebate. They added the M3 to the program and it allows you to purchase the car out of state since they can't sell in CT. See here for eligible model list: DEEP: CHEAPR - Eligible Vehicles

And here for details on purchasing out of state: DEEP: CHEAPR - FAQ

Kinda sounds like not. $35,000 is a lot of money for a car for a lot of folks. Especially when you can get a used Civic for under a tenth of that.

That's apples and oranges.

Like arguing that a $300,000 house is a lot of money when you can get a perfectly good used double-wide trailer for $20,000.

$35,000, even without the rebate is in the ballpark of other mid-level NEW sedans from Honda & Toyota.... especially when you factor in the fuel savings and lower TCO of maintenance over a 10 year period of time.

No, it's only apples to oranges for someone whose first priority is getting into an electric car. It's apples to apples for someone whose first priority is economical transportation. Note that I was saying merely that for a lot of people, $35,000 is a lot of money for a car. It's worth it if an EV is what you want and can afford it. But a lot of people in the U.S. and the world would have to make serious sacrifices to buy a $35,000 car. It's called opportunity cost. If you don't have the savings or the disposable income (and a lot of folks don't) then spending that on a car means you go without something else.

I was speaking only about those folks whose finances would be severely pinched by the cost of a Model 3, when they could get transportation for a tenth that. Yes, it's inferior transportation, but it's still transportation, and for many people with limited income, a car is just transportation.

... Some people would (and will) buy an EV without the incentive. The tax credit isn't really designed for them, but they can collect it. [...] Other's can't or won't buy an EV without the credit. The incentive is obviously for them. They need to be incentivized to buy. ...

And that's precisely why it makes more sense to offer the incentive after the initial demand is met, rather than at the start when there are a lot of people who will buy the car without it. Let all the impatient people, who will buy without the incentive, buy their cars before offering it. That way more cars are sold:

Let's say there are 250,000 people who will buy without an incentive and 250,000 who will buy only if they get an incentive, evenly mixed in the queue, and let's say further that there's enough money to give 200,000 people an incentive. Under the present system 100,000 of the people who need the incentive will buy, and all 250,000 who don't need it will buy. A total of 350,000 cars are sold. But if you wait to offer the incentive, until everyone who is willing to buy without the incentive gets one and then offer the incentive, 450,000 cars are sold.

The present system wastes government money by giving the incentive to people who would buy the car anyway. If you wait to offer the incentive until initial demand flags, the incentive goes further and more cars get on the road.

If Tesla cannot deliver the vehicle before the tax credit goes away [I'm assuming 12/31/17] we will not take delivery of a new vehicle.

I will get the deposit back because they sold the vehicle price net of the tax credit. They don't have enough fine print to get out of that one.

What fine print? Tesla will give you back your deposit at any time for any reason or no reason. You don't have to give a reason or make an excuse. You just say "I changed my mind."

And that's precisely why it makes more sense to offer the incentive after the initial demand is met, rather than at the start when there are a lot of people who will buy the car without it. Let all the impatient people, who will buy without the incentive, buy their cars before offering it. That way more cars are sold:
That is not practical. Imagine the gov writing a law that says it will take effect when someone decides that all the purchases that would have been made regardless are completed.

That is not practical. Imagine the gov writing a law that says it will take effect when someone decides that all the purchases that would have been made regardless are completed.

Obviously it would be impossible to get it right on the button. But the legislature could wait for demand to begin to flag before passing the tax incentives. Or there could be a means test, as California apparently has: You don't get the tax incentive if your income is above some amount where a new-car purchase is not as much of a burden.

At the risk of sounding conspiratorial, advancing sustainable transportation is nothing short of a knife fight with the fossil fuel industry.

I will buy the Model 3 regardless of what the (science denying) U.S. Congress decides. With luck, I will leave the car to my grandson.

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

At the risk of sounding conspiratorial, advancing sustainable transportation is nothing short of a knife fight with the fossil fuel industry.

I will buy the Model 3 regardless of what the (science denying) U.S. Congress decides. With luck, I will leave the car to my grandson.

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

Yet it's still a car that is extremely dirty to manufacture...

A society becomes weak when old men cut away trees so that others will never sit in their shade.

Reactions: EinSV
Yet it's still a car that is extremely dirty to manufacture...
It's dirty to manufacture plains, boats, trains etc. So what do you want? Everyone on foot?

And if manufacturing a battery is at present dirtier than an ice (which I'm sure Tesla's way of manufacturing is not) then in the years to come this issue must be adressed. That doesn't change anything to the fact that the ice cars need to go.

It's dirty to manufacture plains, boats, trains etc. So what do you want? Everyone on foot?

And if manufacturing a battery is at present dirtier than an ice (which I'm sure Tesla's way of manufacturing is not) then in the years to come this issue must be adressed. That doesn't change anything to the fact that the ice cars need to go.

They go everywhere as they have unlimited range. Battery cars are too dirty. aluminum production is too dirty.
There has to be a cleaner way. Battery cars need to go.

They go everywhere as they have unlimited range. Battery cars are too dirty. aluminum production is too dirty.
There has to be a cleaner way. Battery cars need to go.

The best engineered "internal combustion engines" deteriorate over time. Seals and gaskets age and rot. The longer anyone drives an ICE the more and more it pollutes.

The electrical grid is exponentially increasing its use of renewable energy sources. The longer a battery electric vehicle is driven the cleaner it becomes.

EVs simply make "Great Sense".

We can heal our children's environment.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8 and DR61
latest reports are that the Senate tax bill preserves the EV Credit. we'll see shortly when senate bill is released.

The South Dakota Republican said the measure also preserves existing clean energy tax incentives such as for electricity production from wind. It preserves a tax credit for electric cars as well.

The Latest: House about-face on deduction for adoption