TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: No confirmation NoA this week?

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by dckiwi, Mar 12, 2019.

?

Will the 3/15 release include full NoA (no confirmations required?)

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    80.4%
  1. rnortman

rnortman Member

Urban highways are different from "city streets". He's talking about divided, access-controlled highways -- interstates in many cases in fact. If you can't use NOA on an interstate, what is the point?

• Like x 1
  2. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Well, I was referring to his comment that he would not trust NOA on city streets right now.

In my experience, NOA works really well on roads that it was designed for, like major interstate highways outside of cities where there are no traffic lights or intersections. But sure, it it is an interstate that goes through a city and has an intersection with a traffic light, of course NOA, won't handle that since it does not handle traffic lights and intersections yet. We all know that. And if your point is that it should be able to handle intersections and traffic lights because otherwise what's the point of having NOA, that's what Tesla is working on, hence why FSD has features such as traffic light/stop sign recognition.

3. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

I agree 100% with “In my experience, NOA works really well on roads that it was designed for, like major interstate highways”
    As long as there is -0- zero traffic. Throw in rush hour traffic and throw our NOA

• Like x 1
  4. rnortman

rnortman Member

No intersections. I don't know of a single interstate highway with an intersection. I'm talking about highways with entrance and exit ramps as the only way to get on or off, and a concrete divider. Many of these go through urban areas, and in urban areas they tend to be more densely packed with traffic, turns are sometimes sharper, and you sometimes have much less distance to get into the lane you need to be in. This is 90% of my daily driving. I have interchanges where I merge with one highway on the right, and I have about 1/2 mile to cut across several lanes of traffic to the left in order to make the ramp for my next interchange. NOA is completely useless in this situation 100% of the time, though if I manually trigger auto lane changes (without NOA enabled) it can do it as long as traffic isn't too crazy at that time. But NOA lacks the contextual awareness to even know how many lanes it needs to cross on what schedule, so it barely manages to make one lane change.

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. rnortman

rnortman Member

Even with zero traffic NOA cannot handle the interstate interchanges I routinely need to navigate.

6. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Obviously, NOA is not there yet. This is definitely a situation where NOA needs to improve in.

7. BinaryField

BinaryField Member

Using Navigate on Autopilot even in mild traffic will get me rear-ended where I am. I've disabled the "feature" on my car. I have very low expectations for the upcoming update, if it's even real.

• Like x 1
  8. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Just for FYI and more conversation to this thread. NOA with no confirmation is actually an EnhancedAutoPilot funtction and has nothing to do with FSD.

Screen shot from my car order February, 2017

90D52124-3187-476E-9DD8-40C36509854C.jpeg

9. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Not to nitpick semantics but NOA with no confirmation was EAP. Past tense. It is not anymore. Now, it is listed as a FSD feature.

10. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Indeed....watering down and nuetering FSD so Tesla can take revenue and claim they have FSD features. KNOWING that is was EAP previously

11. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

No Confirmation is already in build 19.8.1 , it has even release notes for No Confirmation ULC but feature config has to be pushed by tesla to activate it

• Informative x 3
  12. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

I always thought it was strange that Tesla even put NOA without confirmation under EAP in the first place. My guess is they did it so that they could charge more for EAP. I always thought it belonged better under FSD.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

It's still part of EAP.
    But new cars can't get EAP, they just have AP.

• Like x 2
  14. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

yes, that's what I meant. For new cars, NOA with no confirmation is a FSD feature now.

15. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Until no hands on the wheel is enabled it is still EAP not FSD. That’s why it was EAP before several weeks ago. If I have to keep my hands on the wheel constantly it is NOT FSD

Tesla is just doing as they did with AP1. Please don’t bend over and take it just because you want to believe so badly.

• Like x 1
  16. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Show of hands here please. Who honestly believes that a FSD feature requires your hands to be on the steering wheel 100% of the time?

• Like x 2
  17. iTech

iTech Member

I don't believe current Tesla's will ever remove that requirement.

18. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Exactly, that is why I am having a hard time upgrading my EAP to FSD for $2,600 even if everyone is shouting it is such a great deal.

19. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Then with your argument they should completely remove FSD from everywhere on their web site and sales and descriptions and revert back to EAP or drivers assistance as the label. By no means is “Keep you hands on the wheel” FSD.

• Like x 1
  20. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

No, a FSD feature does not require your hands be on the steering wheel 100% of the time. But EAP right now does not require your hands be on the wheel 100% of the time.