Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: No confirmation NoA this week?

Will the 3/15 release include full NoA (no confirmations required?)

• Yes

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • No

Votes: 45 80.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Urban highways are different from "city streets". He's talking about divided, access-controlled highways -- interstates in many cases in fact. If you can't use NOA on an interstate, what is the point?

Well, I was referring to his comment that he would not trust NOA on city streets right now.

In my experience, NOA works really well on roads that it was designed for, like major interstate highways outside of cities where there are no traffic lights or intersections. But sure, it it is an interstate that goes through a city and has an intersection with a traffic light, of course NOA, won't handle that since it does not handle traffic lights and intersections yet. We all know that. And if your point is that it should be able to handle intersections and traffic lights because otherwise what's the point of having NOA, that's what Tesla is working on, hence why FSD has features such as traffic light/stop sign recognition.

Well, I was referring to his comment that he would not trust NOA on city streets right now.

In my experience, NOA works really well on roads that it was designed for, like major interstate highways outside of cities where there are no traffic lights or intersections. But sure, it it is an interstate that goes through a city and has an intersection with a traffic light, of course NOA, won't handle that since it does not handle traffic lights and intersections yet. We all know that. And if your point is that it should be able to handle intersections and traffic lights because otherwise what's the point of having NOA, that's what Tesla is working on, hence why FSD has features such as traffic light/stop sign recognition.

I agree 100% with “In my experience, NOA works really well on roads that it was designed for, like major interstate highways”
As long as there is -0- zero traffic. Throw in rush hour traffic and throw our NOA

Reactions: croman

No intersections. I don't know of a single interstate highway with an intersection. I'm talking about highways with entrance and exit ramps as the only way to get on or off, and a concrete divider. Many of these go through urban areas, and in urban areas they tend to be more densely packed with traffic, turns are sometimes sharper, and you sometimes have much less distance to get into the lane you need to be in. This is 90% of my daily driving. I have interchanges where I merge with one highway on the right, and I have about 1/2 mile to cut across several lanes of traffic to the left in order to make the ramp for my next interchange. NOA is completely useless in this situation 100% of the time, though if I manually trigger auto lane changes (without NOA enabled) it can do it as long as traffic isn't too crazy at that time. But NOA lacks the contextual awareness to even know how many lanes it needs to cross on what schedule, so it barely manages to make one lane change.

No intersections. I don't know of a single interstate highway with an intersection. I'm talking about highways with entrance and exit ramps as the only way to get on or off, and a concrete divider. Many of these go through urban areas, and in urban areas they tend to be more densely packed with traffic, turns are sometimes sharper, and you sometimes have much less distance to get into the lane you need to be in. This is 90% of my daily driving. I have interchanges where I merge with one highway on the right, and I have about 1/2 mile to cut across several lanes of traffic to the left in order to make the ramp for my next interchange. NOA is completely useless in this situation 100% of the time, though if I manually trigger auto lane changes (without NOA enabled) it can do it as long as traffic isn't too crazy at that time. But NOA lacks the contextual awareness to even know how many lanes it needs to cross on what schedule, so it barely manages to make one lane change.

Obviously, NOA is not there yet. This is definitely a situation where NOA needs to improve in.

Just for FYI and more conversation to this thread. NOA with no confirmation is actually an EnhancedAutoPilot funtction and has nothing to do with FSD.

Screen shot from my car order February, 2017

90D52124-3187-476E-9DD8-40C36509854C.jpeg

Just for FYI and more conversation to this thread. NOA with no confirmation is actually an EnhancedAutoPilot funtction and has nothing to do with FSD.

Screen shot from my car order February, 2017

View attachment 386298

Not to nitpick semantics but NOA with no confirmation was EAP. Past tense. It is not anymore. Now, it is listed as a FSD feature.

Indeed....watering down and nuetering FSD so Tesla can take revenue and claim they have FSD features. KNOWING that is was EAP previously

I always thought it was strange that Tesla even put NOA without confirmation under EAP in the first place. My guess is they did it so that they could charge more for EAP. I always thought it belonged better under FSD.

I always thought it was strange that Tesla even put NOA without confirmation under EAP in the first place. My guess is they did it so that they could charge more for EAP. I always thought it belonged better under FSD.

Until no hands on the wheel is enabled it is still EAP not FSD. That’s why it was EAP before several weeks ago. If I have to keep my hands on the wheel constantly it is NOT FSD

Tesla is just doing as they did with AP1. Please don’t bend over and take it just because you want to believe so badly.

Reactions: croman
It happens a lot more in Elon Musk’s tweeting than in software development, so I don’t think the software development excuse is the one we should go to first. Elon is simply wrong a lot on Twitter and possibly on purpose.

After all, Elon Musk already said Advanced Summon would come in around six weeks... on November 1st, 2018.

Tesla's Advanced Summon will be ready in ~6 weeks, says Elon Musk

See how Musk even says in November that Advanced Summon will read parking lot signs and know where to park! Really!

This is why so many of us don’t really believe him anymore.

Exactly, that is why I am having a hard time upgrading my EAP to FSD for $2,600 even if everyone is shouting it is such a great deal.