Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on 40KW battery actual rated range vs age(miles) of car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seeing a dramatic drop-off in range on my 40KW battery so I'd like to see what others are experiencing.

So this is only for the few of us with 40kw models.

What is your current "rated" (not ideal) range at 100% (not 85%) range?:
What is your current mileage?:

My answers are:
Rated Range = 106 miles (that is a 25% drop from original 140 miles)
Miles = 34,000

That seems like too much degradation, but I have nothing to compare to.

Thanks,
Dave

There aren't that many 40's out there, so you may not get too many comparable results.

You can look through some of the other degradation threads perhaps for 60 kWh batteries and draw conclusions.

Have you asked Tesla to look at your battery pack? What do they say?

This may be a problem in their range calculation algorithm when the battery pack is artificially limited via software.

Can someone post a picture of the battery label for an S40--don't think we've ever seen one. My guess is that it will have 'S1' in the top line description. S2 is 60 and S3 is 85?

I'm guessing it'll be just another S60 pack. The configuration on the car provides the software limiting.

I'm not aware of any label or description posted for a 40 kWh. I'd be interested in seeing if my theory is correct (or yours is, for that matter).

Sorry for the slightly off-topic...

@toolmanca1 - I'd love to test drive your car for a little while (< 5 miles) sometime when I'm in CA if you're willing (perhaps in July?). If so, PM me for follow-up. Thanks in advance for considering the request.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone post a picture of the battery label for an S40--don't think we've ever seen one. My guess is that it will have 'S1' in the top line description. S2 is 60 and S3 is 85?
I'm guessing it'll be just another S60 pack. The configuration on the car provides the software limiting.

I'm not aware of any label or description posted for a 40 kWh. I'd be interested in seeing if my theory is correct (or yours is, for that matter).
My recollection is that [1] I've seen S2 labels on 60 kWh crates and S3 labels on 85 kWh crates at service centers and [2] S1 labelled crates/packs never went in customer vehicles (if they even existed as full packs).

65,800 miles @ 130.

Originally 140 for the first 6 months. Dropped briefly to 117 then we got the firmware fix. Rated range hovered at 134 for a over year. Now it's consistent at 130 for the last 8 months.

If you're at 106, unless you're driving up mountains... I would make an appointment with your SC.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have no mountains to climb in my daily commute so something is definitely wrong. Your input has been invaluable!

I'll let you know how this ends up being resolved.

Thanks,
Dave

- - - Updated - - -

My "40" car has a "60" battery pack, they all do. Tesla wrote us a letter and said they decided to never make a 40 pack since almost no one wanted them. Dave

We still would like to see a picture of the battery pack label from a 40--one has never been posted.

Is the pack voltage the same as a 60 and the controller just limits the available current draw? If so then maybe you get a true and full 40kWh without any reserve margin withheld, whereas a 60 doesn't get to use the full 60kWh nor an 85 gets the full 85kWh?

IMG_0938.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Had a max rated range of 146 miles when I received it in 2013.
Dropped to 140 miles in 2014 after a software update.
Dropped to 133 miles in 2015 after a software update.
Dropped to 130 miles last week for an unknown reason.

That's not very encouraging. I do everything I can to keep the battery as good as possible, but it keeps dropping. I do not feel like it's battery degradation, but some software updates that create artificial degradation. I'm very disappointed ...