Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the last Tesla update I will install voluntarily without reading about it first. My bad, I know.

I'm also pretty sure my next car will not be a Tesla. The car drives fairly well and is efficient, but interacting with it has just been a dog's breakfast during my period of ownership. They are not the only game in town anymore and I don't need to pay to be abused again. We don't need no stinkin' PR dept!

There's just too much pressure from Elon to get the FSD swindle working for them to spend the necessary effort to even approach a minimum usability status. Frankly, it's just a fail that keeps getting more painful with each new release. Who really needs this mess time after time?

Time to give the legacy automakers a chance now that they're catching up on the tech, since Tesla has not been able to achieve any meaningful quality or usability benchmarks during its period of dominance, and really doesn't seem that interested in persuing them either...
I’m in the exact same position, owning two Teslas currently, one of them since March 2013. I have been a big supporter of Tesla since the early days, evangelizing the cars to everyone around me with such fervor, they thought Tesla paid commissions. 😀

I cannot believe what is happening to that company now. These UX people really are something else. They think they are designing for a smart phone or tablet!

I have hope that Tesla (Elon, mainly) will see the light and hire some ergonomic experts. Before they start to lose customers in a significant number.

Also, it isn't clear to me how to automatically save the last 10 minutes of video. Any clarification would be appreciated.
There's a voice command ("save dash cam", maybe?) and you can get to it through the menus. Sorry I'm not in the car now and don't remember the specifics, just that I was able to do it eventually.

(Both of those options are terrible compared to just being able to push a button on the screen before.)
This is the last Tesla update I will install voluntarily without reading about it first. My bad, I know.

I'm also pretty sure my next car will not be a Tesla. The car drives fairly well and is efficient, but interacting with it has just been a dog's breakfast during my period of ownership. They are not the only game in town anymore and I don't need to pay to be abused again. We don't need no stinkin' PR dept!

There's just too much pressure from Elon to get the FSD swindle working for them to spend the necessary effort to even approach a minimum usability status. Frankly, it's just a fail that keeps getting more painful with each new release. Who really needs this mess time after time?

Time to give the legacy automakers a chance now that they're catching up on the tech, since Tesla has not been able to achieve any meaningful quality or usability benchmarks during its period of dominance, and really doesn't seem that interested in persuing them either...
Same same same. I used to read about the updates before installing but had gotten complacent. Now I'm paying for it.

As someone who isn't particularly interested in FSD I really don't love pulling all the useful functions since they "won't be needed" with FSD. I'd like to actually drive my car.

I will definitely be considering other carmakers for my next car. A month ago I was recommending Tesla to everyone. :(
I have hope that Tesla (Elon, mainly) will see the light and hire some ergonomic experts. Before they start to lose customers in a significant number.
As an owner and a stockholder I couldn't agree more.

As I’ve said. No V11. No cars even. But I remember the uproar the last major UI change a few years back. Much of it justified. Much if it corrected.

Am I not getting a Tesla because of V11? Ya, right. Still love them. Still fix what needs to be. Rest will be forgotten or part of the new paradigm.

Does Tesla stil give me the best EV for my money. Yup.

Bottom line. If it is truly safety related, it will probably be rectified. If it is user convenience or nuisance and somewhat subjective, maybe not.

I suspect this is true. In fact, for a major update like this no doubt they had their very best artists and designers working on this for a very long time.

I think it's safe to say that, like it or not, what we are seeing in this new OS release is the culmination of many months of work by huge teams of highly skilled and experienced developers and represents the sum total of their very best efforts. Some may love it and some may hate it, but it is no accident, and not something some inexperienced kid who never drove a car put together in his spare time.

Hopefully, with the help of feedback from users, they will continue to evolve this into something great. I think it has potential.
I think pretty much all of us can agree that adding new features such as dark mode or blind spot camera (both with a choice to enable or not) is a no-brainer and welcome by all. What I'm struggling with is that when you and a few others say "Some may love it...". Are you actually referring to the changes to existing features, such as burying operational items (dashcam status, seat heater controls, wiper controls, defrost controls, tire pressures, and odometer), as well as deleting most of the street names from the map (even with the pin enabled)? Are there people that actually love those changes? The feedback I've heard is that 'it's just something we need to adjust to" or "it's not that bad". Does anyone actually think it's BETTER by burying these items (each of which require some degree of additional attention away from the road to operate)?

I unfortunately agree with you though regarding the fact that this wasn't created by a single "non-driver" at Tesla. There most certainly must have been a team that came up with this. That's what scares me and makes it even worse to the point that I can not in good conscience recommend this brand to anyone without a stern warning that you might have things you like taken away without any option of bringing them back. For two years in a row, the holiday updates have messed with basic UI functionality and made the car slightly less safe by requiring some degree of additional concentration off the road to get information. The speedometer has become worse two years in a row for example (by worse I mean harder to read for someone with better than 20/20 vision due to smaller and thinner fonts). When I bought the car in September 2020 the UI was significantly better. I love the fact that features have been added along the way, but when they take things away without giving you the option, that's not cool. When I'm ready to move to the next vehicle hopefully either Tesla will have cleaned up the dumpster fire in the UI programming department, or other manufacturers will have caught up to Tesla with compelling products.

As if removing most of the physical buttons is not enough, now they are remove virtual buttons. Maybe it's not our fault for not seeing that coming. I mean they even chopped off half of the steering wheel. Don't you see where they are headed...
I do. The car will drive itself. Someday. But Tesla often gets out ahead of where its customers are at, and ahead of the actual real life capabilities of the vehicle.

Still, after driving with V11 for a couple of days I’m okay with it. If I want wipers I lightly press the silver button at the end of the left side stalk and the wiper controls appear on the screen, just like they always have. So no additional actions compared to how it was before.

But if I want to see the odometer or the tire pressure display there is one more action required than there used to be, unless I use the voice command (which of course requires a cell connection).

And I do miss the icons that used to be at the top of the display showing current driver profile and cell/wifi status. There is no compelling reason for removing those, in my opinion. The UI team got carried away with making the display look “neat and clean”.

This could be resolved by giving the user the ability to add more icons to the bar at the bottom. Right now many of the customizable choices are things I don’t use at all.

Still, after driving with V11 for a couple of days I’m okay with it. If I want wipers I lightly press the silver button at the end of the left side stalk and the wiper controls appear on the screen, just like they always have. So no additional actions compared to how it was before.
The wipers will move if you press the button on the stalk. Not a good idea if the window is dry. If you want to check the status (to see if in auto mode or off) and don't want to move the wipers you need to hunt further than before. The new location requires you to extend your arm to the far side of the screen and while driving it's hard to not accidentally tap on something above or below. I can't possibly see how this could be considered an improvement.

But if I want to see the odometer or the tire pressure display there is one more action required than there used to be, unless I use the voice command (which of course requires a cell connection).
For the odometer or tire pressure display you're saying there is one more action required which is true, but do you actually think it is BETTER this way? I think the point most of us are trying to make is that change is welcome but only if it's better. Everyone in here drives an electric car and by that alone, we accept change more than most in society.

And I do miss the icons that used to be at the top of the display showing current driver profile and cell/wifi status. There is no compelling reason for removing those, in my opinion. The UI team got carried away with making the display look “neat and clean”.
Agreed 100%

Here's a suboptimal workaround that will provide you with one-touch access to the following:

Driver Profile
Glovebox
Wipers
Dashcam Recording
Headlights

The workaround is to tap the car icon and leave the Controls page up. This works only if you don't care to see the map or the navigation information. Also, you'll have to bring the screen again if you do something else like display music, etc.

Of course the only time I need to change the Driver Profile is when I get into the car and the seat takes me for a ride as it adjusts for my long-legged wife. In that situation it will take three taps to fix (and by then it will be too late).

As I said, it's suboptimal, but maybe it will be helpful for some until we get an update that fixes the UI. I might do this when it's raining, so I can adjust the wipers with one tap.

I'm also pretty sure my next car will not be a Tesla. The car drives fairly well and is efficient, but interacting with it has just been a dog's breakfast during my period of ownership.
Agree, but I am ACTUALLY sure my next EV will not be a Tesla. I'm keeping this one, and I love it, in large part as almost a souvenir of the massive change Tesla started in the industry, but even if they fix all the issues with the UI, including navigation and buried hvac, etc, this is my last Tesla.

I just don't agree with their strategic vision. Pushing for FSD and dangling the idea that the 2 will have no steering wheel are just absurd. Hell, AP disengages probably 50 times in the 2 mile drive from work to home on the snow, FSD is no where close to happening.

Just not going to own more than one car that can suffer downgrades in basic functionality due to the whims of Elon.

I'll seriously look at Toyota/Subaru EV next year to replace the 04 Forester, and maybe a used Kia EV as a bang around town 3rd car (currently an 83 Tercel, lol).

Last edited:
Just think about how eagerly we'll anticipate the update that will fix the worst of these issues. You thought you couldn't wait to get the update with the light show ...

Here are the trivial-to-implement fixes that I expect will arrive soon:

1. Ability to add up to eight icons at the bottom of the screen (number will be lower for the portrait mode X and S)
2. Added icons for glovebox, L&R seat heaters, wipers, defrost, etc.
3. Return of the driver profile, cell strength, wifi strength, sentry, notifications, and dashcam to the top right of the screen

Those would be so easy to implement, and the user response would be so great, that I'm sure it will happen soon.

First, you need to slow down on your posting frequency: two posts in 13 years?!?😜

I have a 2016 S...
Slumming it in the Model 3 forum? 🤣

...noticed the media controls are lacking the "slider" and time remaining/time elapsed info for songs and podcasts.
Are you referring to the progress bar/scrubbing tool? It is still there visually, but WAY too small (though it is a little more visible when it shifts to night mode). Haven't tested scrubbing capability yet (I get too frustrated with it's horrible response). Also, we never had time elapsed: only time remaining.

Also the +15s -15s icons are gone. How do I fast forward or rewind? It wouldn't be a huge issue if the car didn't constantly lose its place on my podcast every time I get in and out.
Those were never available on the 3 (at least as of when I got mine Aug. 2019) and is something I really miss. Sucks that they took it away on your S.

I have a 2016 S and noticed the media controls are lacking the "slider" and time remaining/time elapsed info for songs and podcasts. Just a big blank area where it used to be. Also the +15s -15s icons are gone. How do I fast forward or rewind? It wouldn't be a huge issue if the car didn't constantly lose its place on my podcast every time I get in and out.
Yes! This is a significant safety issue. I listen to audiobooks on USB, and I have devoted too much attention (while driving) to trying to go back 30 seconds or find my location when deciding to resume listening.

For USB, the interface is almost designed to make you crash. I still haven't figured out how to scrub reliably. So far, it seems I must pause the audio, then tap near the beginning(?) and slide my finger. It often doesn't work.

Fix: DIsplay elapsed time and time remaining, add +15 and -15 second buttons, make scrubbing work with coarse and fine control related to vertical finger position.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Also, we never had time elapsed: only time remaining.
RIght. That was weird and difficult enough. When I got out of the car, I'd note the time remaining, but when resuming, I only had elapsed time, so I'm subtracting 59:00 from 6:52 in my head while driving 65 MPH and dealing with the flakey scrubbing.

New version is worse. No non-destructive way to note where you left off.

Just think about how eagerly we'll anticipate the update that will fix the worst of these issues. You thought you couldn't wait to get the update with the light show ...

Here are the trivial-to-implement fixes that I expect will arrive soon:

1. Ability to add up to eight icons at the bottom of the screen (number will be lower for the portrait mode X and S)
2. Added icons for glovebox, L&R seat heaters, wipers, defrost, etc.
3. Return of the driver profile, cell strength, wifi strength, sentry, notifications, and dashcam to the top right of the screen

Those would be so easy to implement, and the user response would be so great, that I'm sure it will happen soon.

My suspicion is that all that stuff might have been in the works already, with the programmers plugging away and perhaps quite satisfied with their progress and optimistic that they might be ready to release a finished product in March or April or something. Then some idiot with a tremendous amount of leverage within Tesla walked into the room and told them all that they HAD to release a special software Xmas gift for the customers before Christmas...

Last edited: