Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] P3 Free Lifetime Unlimited Supercharging vs. $5,000 Refund

FUSC vs. $5,000 refund

• I am P3 owner, and I would choose PUP $5,000 refund over FUSC.

Votes: 161 44.1%
  • I am P3 owner, and I would choose FUSC over PUP $5,000 refund

Votes: 32 8.8%
  • I am not P3 owner, but if I were given a choice, I would choose PUP $5,000 refund over FUSC

Votes: 142 38.9%
  • I am not P3 owner, but if I were given a choice, I would choose FUSC over PUP $5000 refund

Votes: 30 8.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a fundamental flaw in this thread: I don't think anybody at Tesla ever suggested that free lifetime supercharging was worth $5,000 or that Tesla ever offered to sell it for $5,000 or ever offered a deal where your choices were free lifetime supercharging vs. something they charge $5,000 for.

Free lifetime supercharging is a nice perk for people who travel a lot or have no charger at home. But for most Tesla owners it's probably worth a few hundred dollars in cash, not five thousand.

Reactions: PA ZU
Looking at it from an economic sense only is not human like but just mechanical.
Fact is if someone wanted to save money they would buy an ICE vehicle.
1/2 the reason some of us buy a Tesla is to tell the neighbor: I have one and you don’t.
Because I value the environment more than you. Or because you want electric and more torque. Or whatever other reason. But not because you save money.

So why do we want the supercharger: because I have it and the others don’t have it.

I would have bought a Tesla S if I did not have the supercharger.

Yes. It is pretentious. But at least I am honest about myself and don’t pretend to be this PC whanabe.

You save the money. I will keep the SC and have something unique.

$5k is not going to change my life in any way that would lower my standard to be like every one else.

I have no desire to drive the people’s car. I would have bought a VW if I did.

Free lifetime supercharging is a nice perk for people who travel a lot or have no charger at home. But for most Tesla owners it's probably worth a few hundred dollars in cash, not five thousand.

Agree with that but it could be a money maker for Tesla. I have it (though not according to my account page) and I've used it less than the fingers on 1 hand (for the Performance 3) - but it's a huge psychological thing, I irrationally like to know I have it.. though as time goes on I'm considering that refund...

Reactions: Maximilien
Agree with that but it could be a money maker for Tesla. I have it (though not according to my account page) and I've used it less than the fingers on 1 hand (for the Performance 3) - but it's a huge psychological thing, I irrationally like to know I have it.. though as time goes on I'm considering that refund...

Definitely, there is a psychological factor of FUSC that is hard to justify with $$. Some may value that over $5,000, and some won't.

Just like the Unlimited Data Plan for the cellphone monthly payment, most people don't really need it unless they watch Netflix 24/7. I guess it just give them peace of mind.

But then, $5,000 refund is not directly comparable because we are talking about thousands of dollars here.

Although I enjoy FUSC with my 2016 MX, I would give it up for 5k and put it into TSLA instead. That way I am less tempted to abuse the privilege of supercharging at other Tesla owners expense while sorta helping the company (of course not taking the 5k or abusing supercharging would help the Tesla the most.)

On the less logical side I remember when Elon Musk first revealed the supercharging and he said Tesla owners would get free charging for life. That was a truly feel good moment. I also love the looks on people's face when I tell them that I can drive across the country easily without spending a dime fueling the car. Despite all that, take the 5k, put it in TSLA for your kid, and maybe they will be able to buy their own Tesla with the earnings. That would be an even better feel good moment.

For 3P owners, 75 vs. 10
For non 3P owners, 75 vs. 11

For some reason, I get a funny feeling that people who vote are trying to make this very symmetric on purpose. :p

It has been like this since the beginning of the poll. But I think we can draw a conclusion that there are people who definitely value Free Supercharging more than immediate cash.

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155
For 3P owners, 75 vs. 10
For non 3P owners, 75 vs. 11

For some reason, I get a funny feeling that people who vote are trying to make this very symmetric on purpose. :p

It has been like this since the beginning of the poll. But I think we can draw a conclusion that there are people who definitely value Free Supercharging more than immediate cash.

If it was $2000 or $2500, I'd probably do FUSC.

Reactions: Maximilien
So if people are mostly rational, the ones that use the Superchargers the most will keep free Supercharging and those that use it least will take the $5,000. That should have the overall effect of eroding Tesla's earnings, right?

BTW the first Twitter quote I read made it sound like those who paid $5,000 for PUP could choose free supercharging or $5,000 as compensation for Tesla changing the price.
"Not going up. We will just offer those who ordered bought 3P either $5k back or free lifetime Supercharging. "

There's a fundamental flaw in this thread: I don't think anybody at Tesla ever suggested that free lifetime supercharging was worth $5,000 or that Tesla ever offered to sell it for $5,000 or ever offered a deal where your choices were free lifetime supercharging vs. something they charge $5,000 for.

OP was referring to the change in price of the p3d+ as the 5k + part is now free and he was asking who would rather get the money back and give up the FUSC to do so as Elon had eluded to

Looking at the big thread of how P3 price changed, I was surprised some would choose for Free Lifetime(non transferable) over the PUP $5000(+tax??) refund. My guess is that majority would favor the refund based on sheer number of comments in that thread. If you choose Free unlimited (lifetime) supercharging, can you share why you would favor that?

I don't need the $5000. At this point in life....you can't pay me to concern myself over anything.

I supercharge every day....over the lifetime of FUSC...I will surpass $5000 of use....however more importantly.....I don't have to concern myself with costs pertaining to supercharging. I never fully charge at a supercharger anyway.

Kinda like when I pay a little extra for an all-you-can-eat buffet. My mind is at ease that I already paid for my food before I eat anything and I can take my time.

Its a peace of mind thing for me. I already committed to the price and I purchased ALL options on my P3D+ so now I'm:

1. Feature proof ( they can add anything they like - I get the upgrade )
2. I'm supercharging proof ( I can use it anytime I like ) - I also destination charge and Charge Point charge quite a bit.
3. I'm don't have to think about anything but washer fluid and tires.
4. I don't need the $5000. At this point in life....you can't pay me to concern myself over another thing.

Its a worry free vehicle for me right now and I will keep it that way.

Everyone can calculate for themselves just how much they drive every year and therefore how much free Superchargers is worth over the lifetime of their car. They can then decide for themselves if they would do better to keep free Superchargers or take their undeserving refund.

Que?

People can make their own choices, and it's great that we actually get to choose.

I initially thought I'd keep free supercharging but given home charging, destination charging and my historic mileage I think it would take 10 years for me to break even, so I'm considering the refund.

OP was referring to the change in price of the p3d+ as the 5k + part is now free and he was asking who would rather get the money back and give up the FUSC to do so as Elon had eluded to

So this is a real thing? People who paid $5,000 for a feature that's now included free, can get the $5,000 back but give up the free lifetime supercharging if they do so?

I still think very few people would use $5,000 worth of supercharging. But of course, people make irrational choices all the time. My situation is probably an outlier, though, since I would use well under $100 worth of supercharging a year.

This sounds like Tesla doing right by its customers. Any other company would have said, "Sure, the price went down, but you bought at the higher price. What's done is done." Tesla instead says "We'll refund your money, but of course if we do, you also give up the other feature that was included." I presume free supercharging went away when the price was dropped by $5,000.

I presume free supercharging went away when the price was dropped by $5,000.

I thought it went away at the start of October, but don't know... what did you base your presumption upon?

I configured my P3D+ (along with the $2500 additional payment) before I knew about free supercharging, I assume (as opposed to 'presume') that this was Tesla trying to boost sales of the top of the line Model 3 for the big Q3 numbers and they (rightly) included people who had already ordered, not just new customers.

Tesla seem to have found a way to keep margins high but lower costs to the customer (pretty much a perfect combination) but people are now understandably associating the 'free' supercharging with the $5,000 premium because the $5k refund is contingent upon that being given up. I can't imagine Tesla ever valued the free supercharging at $5k per customer.