Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: When will FSD V12 be in wide release?

When will FSD V12 be in wide release?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there are fewer supercharger stops than driving slower can make you reach your destination sooner.
I would suspect that FSD would keep it at the proper speed if this is the case. It would be odd to warn you to stay under a certain speed while driving above it but maybe it does. 🤣 On the road trips I make now I have plenty of SC around so kinda have forgotten those days and haven't seen this waning in a couple of years.:)

Um. It's been known since the early times that the Tesla NAV software (never mind FSD, EAP, or what-all) attempts to get one to one's destination as Quickly As Possible. To that end, the software in the car and the Mothership (which knows which SC locations are crowded, which have 250 kW chargers, which have 120 kW chargers, and so on) play Major Software Games in order to minimize that time.

It's not just speed limits: At last gasp, the car software takes into account what speed one is driving at, whether there's a headwind (from weather information), whether one is going up and/or down hills, traffic information (like, traffic jams) and all that jazz.

In terms of range prognostication, as I'm sure most of you all know, from least accurate to most, it's:
  • The range number/SOC (State Of Charge) meter at the top of the screen, leftish. My understanding is that this takes the SOC/amount of energy stored in the battery from the BMS and multiples it by the Manroney sticker value. This gives a range that only works if one is sitting in an EPA test facility. (No worries, sometimes one may as well be in something clearly like an EPA test facility.)
  • On the Energy app, there's the Consumption Chart. Left axis has W-hr/mile; X axis has the last bunch of miles (range is selectable); and a little label on the right that has the instant or averaged range. In between there's a plot of energy usage over time. Go up a hill? Bigger usage per mile. Go down a hill? Less. Since it's an actual measure, it's more accurate.
  • Also on the Energy app, there's a nifty plot that, under it, has other things. How one's driving (fast or slow) is affecting the calculated range. Same for weather, up and down hills, and a half dozen other things. There's even a bit in there for preheating before supercharging. There's also estimates of how much range one is going to get with all these factors taken into account, which makes the data here a bit hard to read, but more accurate than the above two.
  • Finally, there's the Triple Number. Put in one's destination into the NAV and, in that square box at the bottom of the screen (or the one that has one's final destination in a multi-SC trip, gotten by hitting that "whole trip" button on the map screen) what time; with what charge; and how many miles it will be until one gets to one's intermediate or final stop. This little box has the whole kaboozie: Trips off the road to a SC, weather, driving habits, hills, etc., etc. It even includes battery degradation since new. It's ALL in there.
This beast hasn't really changed, except for additional parameters that Tesla puts in from time to time, since Teslas were launched. FSD isn't really involved: Drive without any of that, then you get what you get.

There's another tool out there, ABRP (A Better Route Planner) whose main claim to fame is that one can put down what charge one wants when one reaches one's final destination. Rather than some minimal value (like 10%) that the NAV tends to use.

FWIW, over the eclipse weekend, the SO an I took her MY from NJ to Dallas and back. It was interesting. In some cases, the NAV wanted us to hang out at a SC for 50 minutes until we got to +90% charge or so; in other cases, it was fifteen minutes to 70% charge and we were out of there. On the long charges, it's presumed that by doing so, we didn't have to foray off our direct route and got to skip an SC stop. In other cases, it's clear that, because the car charges the fastest when it's near empty, short stops with large amounts of energy dumped into the battery call for low SOC when one leaves for the next stop. So, yeah, I've seen the NAV and energy management in action.

Our main changes were involved in finding decent places to eat and/or sleep on the way. Still works.

Um. It's been known since the early times that the Tesla NAV software (never mind FSD, EAP, or what-all) attempts to get one to one's destination as Quickly As Possible. To that end, the software in the car and the Mothership (which knows which SC locations are crowded, which have 250 kW chargers, which have 120 kW chargers, and so on) play Major Software Games in order to minimize that time.

It's not just speed limits: At last gasp, the car software takes into account what speed one is driving at, whether there's a headwind (from weather information), whether one is going up and/or down hills, traffic information (like, traffic jams) and all that jazz.

In terms of range prognostication, as I'm sure most of you all know, from least accurate to most, it's:
  • The range number/SOC (State Of Charge) meter at the top of the screen, leftish. My understanding is that this takes the SOC/amount of energy stored in the battery from the BMS and multiples it by the Manroney sticker value. This gives a range that only works if one is sitting in an EPA test facility. (No worries, sometimes one may as well be in something clearly like an EPA test facility.)
  • On the Energy app, there's the Consumption Chart. Left axis has W-hr/mile; X axis has the last bunch of miles (range is selectable); and a little label on the right that has the instant or averaged range. In between there's a plot of energy usage over time. Go up a hill? Bigger usage per mile. Go down a hill? Less. Since it's an actual measure, it's more accurate.
  • Also on the Energy app, there's a nifty plot that, under it, has other things. How one's driving (fast or slow) is affecting the calculated range. Same for weather, up and down hills, and a half dozen other things. There's even a bit in there for preheating before supercharging. There's also estimates of how much range one is going to get with all these factors taken into account, which makes the data here a bit hard to read, but more accurate than the above two.
  • Finally, there's the Triple Number. Put in one's destination into the NAV and, in that square box at the bottom of the screen (or the one that has one's final destination in a multi-SC trip, gotten by hitting that "whole trip" button on the map screen) what time; with what charge; and how many miles it will be until one gets to one's intermediate or final stop. This little box has the whole kaboozie: Trips off the road to a SC, weather, driving habits, hills, etc., etc. It even includes battery degradation since new. It's ALL in there.
This beast hasn't really changed, except for additional parameters that Tesla puts in from time to time, since Teslas were launched. FSD isn't really involved: Drive without any of that, then you get what you get.

There's another tool out there, ABRP (A Better Route Planner) whose main claim to fame is that one can put down what charge one wants when one reaches one's final destination. Rather than some minimal value (like 10%) that the NAV tends to use.

FWIW, over the eclipse weekend, the SO an I took her MY from NJ to Dallas and back. It was interesting. In some cases, the NAV wanted us to hang out at a SC for 50 minutes until we got to +90% charge or so; in other cases, it was fifteen minutes to 70% charge and we were out of there. On the long charges, it's presumed that by doing so, we didn't have to foray off our direct route and got to skip an SC stop. In other cases, it's clear that, because the car charges the fastest when it's near empty, short stops with large amounts of energy dumped into the battery call for low SOC when one leaves for the next stop. So, yeah, I've seen the NAV and energy management in action.

Our main changes were involved in finding decent places to eat and/or sleep on the way. Still works.

ABRP is more accurate.

ABRP is more accurate.
Maybe, maybe not. Car internals, actual W-hr/mile, and a few other things that ABRP can't directly see make it closer.

Dunno. When did that trip out to Dallas, used ABRP to figure out, roughly, how long it would take and where to stay. But than used the NAV by simply plugging in the destinations from APRB and letting fly. Interestingly, NAV took a bit less time than ABRP by a half hour or so out of 10 hours per day on the road.

Any takers at $8K for Supervised FSD? Very interesting to have used it to traverse a city and letting FSD navigate the many freeway merges, splits late last night. A human driver in front shifted a lane to the right then came back when he realized that he was on the correct lane. FSD kept me on the left lane for the upcoming split. LOL One negative, though, a pickup truck had an empty low trailer and I had to intervene (brake) before the car possibly slammed into the empty trailer. Overall, though, I was definitely able to drive much longer distance (and safer) with Supervised FSD than without.

Not me. Not worth anywhere near $8k still unless it becomes tied to account or infinitely transferable. Even then not for me because I don’t plan to be a life long Tesla owner.

Subscription is the way to go the vast majority of people. Personally I would only consider subscribing if taking a trip somewhere because the highway usage is where it’s most helpful IMO.

It was a novelty to play with for the last 2-3 weeks but I’ve grown tired of using it in the city. I can make maneuvers and decisions much faster without frustrating or confusing other road users or anxiety that is going to curb my wheels.

Maybe Ford will license Supervised FSD and use Blue Cruise to supervise it. I told my friend that I no longer drive, I supervise (so a Supervisor). I guess then this would move me up to Management level. Maybe add GM Super Cruise to oversee both and that moves me up to the Executive level. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: rlsd

Definitely signs that Elon is convinced that Robotaxi is 'coming soon'.

But then this hits the news.