Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Who bought or will buy Model S/X 60 kwh instead of waiting?

Instead of waiting for Model 3, who have bought or will buy Model S/X 60 kwh?

• Yes, definitely will order/already received Model S/X 60 (first time owning Tesla)

Votes: 36 18.6%
  • Yes, definitely will order/already received Model S/X 60 (previously own Tesla/ own multiple Tesla)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Yes, I am getting BOTH Model S/X 60 and Model 3

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Yes, seriously considering Model S/X 60

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Not sure/ Neutral

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • No, I can only afford Model 3 financially, and I will wait

Votes: 77 39.7%
  • No, I will use that money to buy TWO or more Model 3 instead.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • No, Model S/X is too big for me, or I don't like it. I will wait for Model 3

Votes: 17 8.8%
  • No, my current Tesla is just fine

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • No, I don't currently own Tesla and don't plan to buy any Tesla in the future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm holding out for the 3 right now. I can't personally justify the high sticker price when I option the MS to my preference. I've been tempted with the CPO and discounted inventory but I'm trying to stay strong. I fear we may be in for a long wait. Patience is a virtue I suppose...

At this point, I will most likely place my order for a Model S60 with Autopilot and Premium Upgrades either next week or the week after but before the referral runs out. I'm up in the air about optioning Smart Air Suspension. In the end, and with the federal tax credit, the car will only cost me a few more thousand than my budget for a 'nicely configured' M3, heavily optioned with the performance enhancements.

Meanwhile, I'll get to drive around in a 60 for at least 15-18 months. I'll keep the reservation deposit for the M3 with Tesla for as long as possible until I can determine if I want or really need to do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less. My MS test drive a few days ago was nice. The S doesn't feel as big as I thought it would be. Meanwhile, I'll get to use AP and Supercharging, take the tax credit and rid myself of the 1997 ICE Toyota Camry. We're keeping the Lexus and the Prius, at least for the foreseeable future, slowly ridding ourselves of ICE. Insurance for the 60 will run less than $600 for six month policy, a total of $1,390 for all three cars with high coverages and low relatively low deductibles.

I couldn't wait any longer, so I just got my S60 delivered a few weeks ago. I actually had a VW e-Golf lease, but I couldn't wait through the three-year lease until November 2018, especially after test driving a MS. I transferred the lease and got my S. I still have a Model 3 reservation. Depending on what options the Model 3 has, especially if the car ends up being a fully autonomous, I may still get a Model 3.

We'll see.

Everything depends on how the timeline looks in July of next year when my current lease is up. If the 3 looks to be close, I'll figure out a way to hold out. If not, I'll pick up an S to hold me over.

The main concern is fitting a Model S and my wife's F-150 in the same garage. It's tight enough with my LEAF, I doubt the S is going to give me enough room to get in and out without knocking down some shelves and stuff.

I couldn't wait any longer, so I just got my S60 delivered a few weeks ago. I actually had a VW e-Golf lease, but I couldn't wait through the three-year lease until November 2018, especially after test driving a MS. I transferred the lease and got my S. I still have a Model 3 reservation. Depending on what options the Model 3 has, especially if the car ends up being a fully autonomous, I may still get a Model 3.

We'll see.
congrats on the S60! Happy with the purchase so far?

Everything depends on how the timeline looks in July of next year when my current lease is up. If the 3 looks to be close, I'll figure out a way to hold out. If not, I'll pick up an S to hold me over.

The main concern is fitting a Model S and my wife's F-150 in the same garage. It's tight enough with my LEAF, I doubt the S is going to give me enough room to get in and out without knocking down some shelves and stuff.
mass delivery of M3 probably won't start until the very end of 2017.

At this point, I will most likely place my order for a Model S60 with Autopilot and Premium Upgrades either next week or the week after but before the referral runs out. I'm up in the air about optioning Smart Air Suspension. In the end, and with the federal tax credit, the car will only cost me a few more thousand than my budget for a 'nicely configured' M3, heavily optioned with the performance enhancements.

Meanwhile, I'll get to drive around in a 60 for at least 15-18 months. I'll keep the reservation deposit for the M3 with Tesla for as long as possible until I can determine if I want or really need to do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less. My MS test drive a few days ago was nice. The S doesn't feel as big as I thought it would be. Meanwhile, I'll get to use AP and Supercharging, take the tax credit and rid myself of the 1997 ICE Toyota Camry. We're keeping the Lexus and the Prius, at least for the foreseeable future, slowly ridding ourselves of ICE. Insurance for the 60 will run less than $600 for six month policy, a total of $1,390 for all three cars with high coverages and low relatively low deductibles.
$1000 referal runs out in mid Oct. But I believe the 2 year leasing program for S60 is ending right now, you may want to check with Tesla.

Once you test drive one, you will definitely want to have one!

It's not a hard sell if you want to pick up a 60 now, hold it for a couple years, and then figure out if you really want a M3 a couple years from now. Hopefully by that time, the M3's will be cranking out at a good pace, especially if you're willing to take an inventory car that MIGHT be available.

Reactions: ssrajputev
Honestly I have considered a 60kwh model S. I don't think Tesla wants me to have one. I have filled out the website for a test drive twice and they never call me back as the website states.

I filled it out about 6 weeks ago and then again on Sunday. The website states someone will contact me the next day to schedule and no one ever does.

Frankly this concerns me. What happens if I buy a Model 3 are they this difficult to deal with?

Honestly I have considered a 60kwh model S. I don't think Tesla wants me to have one. I have filled out the website for a test drive twice and they never call me back as the website states.

I filled it out about 6 weeks ago and then again on Sunday. The website states someone will contact me the next day to schedule and no one ever does.

Frankly this concerns me. What happens if I buy a Model 3 are they this difficult to deal with?
Try just showing up in a Tesla store or calling a different store.

I had a test drive before, and the service was perfectly fine and beyond my expectation.

Try just showing up in a Tesla store or calling a different store.

I had a test drive before, and the service was perfectly fine and beyond my expectation.

Yeah my problem is the store is about 1 hour round trip away. With 3 kids and all that fun stuff I can't just burn an hour to see if maybe they'll give me a test drive. It would be nice if they actually responded to requests on their website. I filled that out and honestly I expect for them to call me back. I am not going to try a bunch of other things to get a test drive in a car. If they did call me back we could schedule a time that worked for both of us and get a test drive in. I just don't want to burn the extra time trying to get them to schedule me. I guess they don't want to sell cars that bad...

Compare to a traditional auto manufacturer. (not that this is a good thing). If I gave my info on a website I would be on every email and phone call they ever make. I like the no pressure model of Tesla but if I initiate contact (via website) I expect them to at least give me the courtesy to call.

That is unfortunate. I had the opposite experience. I was running around down in LA one weekend and wanted to check the online schedule on a lark to see if Burbank had any test drive slots. I filled in the first page, but then cancelled out once I could see they didn't have any openings that day. Didn't think anything of it until Monday morning when I got a call from Tesla in Fremont. Turns out just entering my info into the website without even completing the request was sufficient for them to peg me as "interested" (and to tie me to my Model 3 reservation). I was a little put off at first, but decided "why not" and I am booked for a test drive this Friday.

Kind of bummed that I can't actually buy until the November timeframe - looks like they are having fire sales on inventory cars right now to meet the Q3 goals.

I had a similar experience (Texas). I filled out the form online and no one ever contacted me. Then I went to the The Domain location and requested a test drive, and I still didn't get contacted. Part of it was likely because I was traveling and the ball got dropped because of the dates I was available. In the end, I ended up clicking "Buy" before getting a test drive ;)

//TB

Yeah my problem is the store is about 1 hour round trip away. With 3 kids and all that fun stuff I can't just burn an hour to see if maybe they'll give me a test drive. It would be nice if they actually responded to requests on their website. I filled that out and honestly I expect for them to call me back. I am not going to try a bunch of other things to get a test drive in a car. If they did call me back we could schedule a time that worked for both of us and get a test drive in. I just don't want to burn the extra time trying to get them to schedule me. I guess they don't want to sell cars that bad...

Compare to a traditional auto manufacturer. (not that this is a good thing). If I gave my info on a website I would be on every email and phone call they ever make. I like the no pressure model of Tesla but if I initiate contact (via website) I expect them to at least give me the courtesy to call.
looks like calling the store directly would solve all these issues. Don't need to drive there first.