Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Who bought or will buy Model S/X 60 kwh instead of waiting?

Instead of waiting for Model 3, who have bought or will buy Model S/X 60 kwh?

• Yes, definitely will order/already received Model S/X 60 (first time owning Tesla)

Votes: 36 18.6%
  • Yes, definitely will order/already received Model S/X 60 (previously own Tesla/ own multiple Tesla)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Yes, I am getting BOTH Model S/X 60 and Model 3

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Yes, seriously considering Model S/X 60

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Not sure/ Neutral

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • No, I can only afford Model 3 financially, and I will wait

Votes: 77 39.7%
  • No, I will use that money to buy TWO or more Model 3 instead.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • No, Model S/X is too big for me, or I don't like it. I will wait for Model 3

Votes: 17 8.8%
  • No, my current Tesla is just fine

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • No, I don't currently own Tesla and don't plan to buy any Tesla in the future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks like calling the store directly would solve all these issues. Don't need to drive there first.

Yeah probably. I'll give it a shot when I get a chance. I wonder if Tesla is aware that they are not answering their website requests. It appears to be an Austin Domain problem? I found a few other posts about this on other forums so it appears to be an issue.

Yeah probably. I'll give it a shot when I get a chance. I wonder if Tesla is aware that they are not answering their website requests. It appears to be an Austin Domain problem? I found a few other posts about this on other forums so it appears to be an issue.
You should shoot an email to the sales department at Tesla HQ, and let them know about the issue.

The poll result so far suggested that Tesla is successful in launching the new 60 kwh option to lure customers from the Model 3 line.

17.4% of people said they are definitely ordering or already received the 60 cars. Another 4.9% said they are buying both Model S/X and Model 3. And another 9.7% is seriously considering, I am thinking 1/3 of these people will eventually buy the 60. Overall, very good result.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
It's not a hard sell if you want to pick up a 60 now, hold it for a couple years, and then figure out if you really want a M3 a couple years from now. Hopefully by that time, the M3's will be cranking out at a good pace, especially if you're willing to take an inventory car that MIGHT be available.

Yes, that's true. I will have to see. If Tesla makes the Model 3 fully autonomous in a few years, I'd consider getting rid of my S60 to get a fully optioned one. I still don't want a performance one Model 3, but it all depends on where everything is with its features and specs.

Regardless of this poll, which will be deeply skewed anyway because it is on TMC, the apparent boom in sales of 60/75 models during the heavy promotions this month suggest that many EV owners and non-EV-owning Model 3 depositors are buying these new models. The apparent drop in CPO inventory seems to have similar character.

Obviously we do not have firm information. My own inadequate sample shows that almost all the non-Tesla-EV owners I personally know have either traded into a new or used Tesla, mostly within the last month. I do not give too much weight to that because these people have been receiving a barrage of motivation from others just like me. How can they resist our blandishments:rolleyes:

For what it's worth... I looked at used S85's online today. The ones with 40-50k miles are interesting as they approach the $50k mark. It's still more than I would want to spend (no tax credit is an issue) and most don't seem to have autopilot. I'm okay waiting for the next version of AP, because I expect it to be later this year, but it is awfully tempting to get an electric car sooner!

For what it's worth... I looked at used S85's online today. The ones with 40-50k miles are interesting as they approach the $50k mark. It's still more than I would want to spend (no tax credit is an issue) and most don't seem to have autopilot. I'm okay waiting for the next version of AP, because I expect it to be later this year, but it is awfully tempting to get an electric car sooner!
Only the new 60, 75, 90 and 100 kwh battery have the increased supercharging speed capability implemented this year. If you do a lot of long road trip, that could make a difference.

Regardless of this poll, which will be deeply skewed anyway because it is on TMC, the apparent boom in sales of 60/75 models during the heavy promotions this month suggest that many EV owners and non-EV-owning Model 3 depositors are buying these new models. The apparent drop in CPO inventory seems to have similar character.

Obviously we do not have firm information. My own inadequate sample shows that almost all the non-Tesla-EV owners I personally know have either traded into a new or used Tesla, mostly within the last month. I do not give too much weight to that because these people have been receiving a barrage of motivation from others just like me. How can they resist our blandishments:rolleyes:
that's good to know. The recent promotion have definitely lure in the people who are on the fence about getting into the Tesla family now, rather than later.

The price quote for NEMA installation is nuts. There are a few videos on Youtube that show people how to install in-home EV charging. The cost of buying the materials for NEMA 14-50 installation is literally less than 30 bucks.
The cost of a 14-50 plug alone ranges from $12-$60 depending on brand and quality. My electrician charged $1600 for 75 feet of conduit, breakers and roof penetration. And I have a licensed electrician doing the work (that is within my abilities, but not credentials). If something should go wrong, I have an alibi .

The poll result so far suggested that Tesla is successful in launching the new 60 kwh option to lure customers from the Model 3 line.

17.4% of people said they are definitely ordering or already received the 60 cars. Another 4.9% said they are buying both Model S/X and Model 3. And another 9.7% is seriously considering, I am thinking 1/3 of these people will eventually buy the 60. Overall, very good result.
Don't know when the Tesla hook got set, but I was an early M3 order placer. Then that hook got set a bit deeper and I turned in wifey SUV for a 3-yr leased Red Honda - shaped somewhat like a M3 sedan. Then I started to look at what a M3 would look like with various options and then that damn Tesla offered a deal on M60's at about the M3 fully optioned price. Lets see - the reason for a M3 was based on it being like the Legend MS - so why not buy the legend now? So I configured the MS with minimum options, then added first one then another then a whole bunch of options. Now my Ms60D is way more than the M3 - but it is what I want. Why do I want it? Because I played on this very site and got hooked and hooked deeper. I pick up my Tesla tomorrow!!
So I next get to decide if I will cancel my M3, now that I have a MS...or to turn in my Honda when its lease is ripe and buy a Tesla..which was the original plan. No reason to cancel the plan - cost nothing to hold on to that plan. Collect driving experience and let M3 mature for a few more years before a decision is needed.
I was indeed pulled from the M3 pile into the MS pile, but I still have hooks into M3. Not exactly the poll question, but my story.

Well, I picked up my S75 last Friday around noon, while I wait for my M3. Drove it home - no problem. Ran some errands with it on Saturday, about 12 miles - no problem. Early this morning, I decided to drive it to my high desert home and got alarms and alerts on the dash indicating that “Driver Assistance Features Unavailable” about every couple seconds. Worked with Tech Support over the phone this morning (Sunday) troubleshooting the problem to no avail. A flat bed was called to pick up the car. Before the flat bed arrived, I went back out to the car, opened the driver's door and the messages and alarms had stopped. Long story short, the flat bed truck guy, Tesla tech and I agreed the car could be driven.

I drove the car 30 miles to my closest Supercharger. Took the batteries up 90% and drove up the Cajon Pass (Elev. over 4,000') to the high desert - no problem. Made four stops in town and drove to my other home - no problems. Brother came over to see the car. I opened the driver's door and the alerts and alarms came back on. My brother laughed and said; "Great car!"

If this is an example of the QC for a mainstream S, what the hell will the first deliveries of the M3 be like? This is not good. I worried and commented earlier about my concerns for QC. I'm on the west coast and will be configuring my M3 with most options, including "PXXDL". I presume I would be an early delivery. Hehe, not now I won't. I'll be certainly deferring my one time and let others be the guinea pig. Terrible experience so far and still need to determine how my S75 will get to the nearest service depot 100 miles away. Nobody to talk to on a Sunday. More to come........

Last edited:
Well, I picked up my S75 last Friday around noon, while I wait for my M3. Drove it home - no problem. Ran some errands with it on Saturday, about 12 miles - no problem. Early this morning, I decided to drive it to my high desert home and got alarms and alerts on the dash indicating that “Driver Assistance Features Unavailable” about every couple seconds. Worked with Tech Support over the phone this morning (Sunday) troubleshooting the problem to no avail. A flat bed was called to pick up the car. Before the flat bed arrived, I went back out to the car, opened the driver's door and the messages and alarms had stopped. Long story short, the flat bed truck guy, Tesla tech and I agreed the car could be driven.

I drove the car 30 miles to my closest Supercharger. Took the batteries up 90% and drove up the Cajon Pass (Elev. over 4,000') to the high desert - no problem. Made four stops in town and drove to my other home - no problems. Brother came over to see the car. I opened the driver's door and the alerts and alarms came back on. My brother laughed and said; "Great car!"

If this is an example of the QC for a mainstream S, what the hell will the first deliveries of the M3 be like? This is not good. I worried and commented earlier about my concerns for QC. I'm on the west and will be configuring my M3 with most options, including "PXXDL". I presume I would be an early delivery. Hehe, not now I won't. I'll be certainly deferring my one time and let others be the guinea pig. Terrible experience so far and still need to determine how my S75 will get to the nearest service depot 100 miles away. Nobody to talk to on a Sunday. More to come........
you cannot drive the car while the “Driver Assistance Features Unavailable” message is on?

you cannot drive the car while the “Driver Assistance Features Unavailable” message is on?

Indeed, you can. But the audio alarms are coming across the speakers every couple seconds. How long could you drive before this "noise" would drive you crazy. I could not turn the sound down on the audio alert like you can on the radio, etc.

Yes, the car is drivable. However, the tech I spoke to earlier this morning did NOT want me to drive it. I think he was a rookie and wasn't taking any chances. He even said he could see the alarms I was getting on my dash screen.

Indeed, you can. But the audio alarms are coming across the speakers every couple seconds. How long could you drive before this "noise" would drive you crazy. I could not turn the sound down on the audio alert like you can on the radio, etc.

Yes, the car is drivable. However, the tech I spoke to earlier this morning did NOT want me to drive it. I think he was a rookie and wasn't taking any chances. He even said he could see the alarms I was getting on my dash screen.
i see. Hopefully the service center can resolve this quick.

Further, the Tesla 24/7 tech that took my call this morning said there was no history of the problem. Really? Well, if you use the little search box at the top of the page, inserting the string "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable”, it has been reported on TMC in the "S" forum. I only report it here because it goes hand-in-hand with ordering a "S" while waiting for the M3.

Hopefully the service center can resolve this quick.

Ya, if they send up the flat bed, I'll be asking Tesla Service to have the flat bed guy to stop by their center and bring me up a P100DL as a loaner. They can have the 75 for as long as they want to MAKE SURE THEY FIX THE PROBLEM, as long as I have the P100DL for a couple months :) After all, do they want a repeat buyer or not?

• Funny
Reactions: ggnykk