Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd. It makes more financial sense to collect the AP2 fees since they don't actually affect immediate profits.
This is probably more of a benefit to employees... They can always opt for FSD or EAP at any time but if the premium features aren't being manufactured then there's nothing you can do to get them.

Probably better to have profits from premium features AND ap2 stuff instead of just one.

• Informative
Reactions: McRat
This is probably more of a benefit to employees... They can always opt for FSD or EAP at any time but if the premium features aren't being manufactured then there's nothing you can do to get them.

Probably better to have profits from premium feature AND ap2 stuff instead of just one.
Plus it allows them to test the amenities package sooner and make any necessary changes before mass production. I didn't think about that.

Reactions: JeffK
I was wrong. I think this tells me that Tesla simply doesn't consider the Bolt competition. At least they figure the $35K buyer might want to consider the real world value of the supercharger infrastructure vs the extra 18 miles....

When you have over 500,000 reservations, you probably don't consider a car that is cluttering dealership lots with unsold cars to be competition.

Oddly, both sides are right, and both sides are wrong.

I'm pretty happy with how Tesla planned it at this point.

It's initial base price is $49,000 + $1200 dest, so I'm assuming it gets AP2 to pay for the hardware?

Color and amenities add $6000 to that, so nice RWD EV with AP2 for $56,200, if California re-ups their rebate and the SCE rebate is still in force, and they allow referrals(?), $44,750 before state sales tax. Not bad.
Obviously, logic is not your strong point.

Obviously, logic is not your strong point.

The Model 3 specs on Release Day are both over that of the Bolt, and under that of Bolt.

The initial cars will have over 238, but there will also be a model with under 238, both announced the same day.

The only flaw in my logic, is simply cost analysis. To maximize income, it should ship with AP2, but to optimize QC issue resolution, it should ship with the amenities package.

But I doubt too many folk who are going to get the long range model are going to leave the AP2 off the order sheet. It's also the TACC system. Spending $50k for a car without ACC is sort of silly today.

The poll was whether or not the base model three would have greater range than the bolt. The people who voted that it would not were correct. The others, obviously, were incorrect.

Also, sorry for my tone in the previous post.

The poll was whether or not the base model three would have greater range than the bolt. The people who voted that it would not were correct. The others, obviously, were incorrect.

Also, sorry for my tone in the previous post.

Like I said, you could score a win for the 220mi notification, but ... you can only buy a 310mi model for now. The 'base' 2017 Model 3 has 310 miles of range. The 2018 will be available with 220mi of range.

I'm going to guess 225 (No). I will also guess that PR will try to only compare a larger battery option against the Bolt. Either way, realistically, Model 3 will still hold a huge advantage due to the Supercharger network.

I'm also going to guess that, in part due to demand, and less so because of how press will report it, the first batch of Model 3s will all be a larger than base battery option, even though they won't have AWD as an option yet.
BTW, called it! I did miss on my estimate by 5 miles. So close!

Does it really matter when you can take a base Model 3 from here to Florida without worrying about range whereas with a very slightly longer range Bolt, while you can lead it to a nice bank of maintained and fast superchargers, no matter what you do, you can't make it drink.
(And here I was thinking the horse analogies only applied in relation to ICE vehicles. I hate to bash the Bolt because I like it but come on GM -- get off your butt and build a network of fast chargers -- it's the future -- even the old horse and buggy people knew you needed a certain amount of watering holes!)

giphy.gif
Just saying....please close this thread.

• Funny
I agree with you topher completely, but bolt is such a weak ally it's sad - almost cry worthy.

Disingenuous.

While the Bolt is lacking in certain areas, calling it sad is not accurate.
In some characteristics, the Bolt is superior to all other EV choices, regardless of price. It's not a kludge. You might not agree with their engineering innovations, decisions, and trade-offs, but it is no doubt a well-engineered system. Compared to the EV class of 2017 to which it was born, it is one of the best engineered. I was surprised it did better than the Model S in frontal crash testing (IIHS) considering it's basic design.

Some things about the Bolt that other EV's should emulate:
  • The access and egress is great. Even with poor overhead/side clearance.
  • Visibility is excellent+ due to the high seating, cabin design, short sloped hood, windowed pillars, 360° camera and wide view digital rearview.
  • Highest kW, most flexible regen.
  • Tardis tech - very small parking envelope but still roomy inside.
  • OnStar. Nobody as a concierge service that is better.
  • The infotainment system works better than most cars, and all EV's I've seen.
I'm buying a Model 3, but I will certainly miss OnStar and great visibility (we have another car with 360°/VideoRearview). If for some reason the Model 3 stalls, I will most likely be in a Bolt.