Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Straight from Tesla.com. I guess the Bolt wins!

Attachments

• IMG_0311.PNG
    IMG_0311.PNG
    342.9 KB · Views: 109
Straight from Tesla.com. I guess the Bolt wins!
That is the minimum number that Elon promised at the unveiling last year. It would probably be more then that, but no one knows how much more. The guesses varies from 218 to 270... My guess is that it will be somewhere between 225 and 245. Yes, the Bolt may win, or it may not. I'm not sure enough to bet one way or the other.

Yes clearly, stronger is better. You can't appreciate it until you try it. Model S needs stronger regen for true one pedal driving. Once you try it you can never go back.

It would be nice if I could make the regen stronger, but I drive one foot about 90% of the time and only hit the brake when under 1 mph or the rare occasion I need to stop harder than expected.

• Informative
Reactions: landis
If the EPA stays at 215. What can you realistic get if you drive efficiently?
Are you "driving efficiently" on hilly terrain, using A/C and heat, in a cold climate, stopping and starting a lot, driving over 50mph? What's realistic depends on your driving requirements, style and regional conditions. The longest range will be obtained on a flat highway at around minimum legal highway speeds which is impractical.

So if regen can be invoked via gentle brake pedal pressure, why not invoke brake pads at very low speed on removal of go pedal pressure?

PM in motor/generator clearly isn't the only solution for one pedal driving.

edit: fixed typo

You don't invoke regen by hitting the brake pedal. Hitting the brake pedal engages the mechanical brakes. One foot driving is driving just using the accelerator pedal. Reducing pressure on the accelerator kicks in regen, taking your foot off entirely kicks in max regen, though what is max can vary depending on conditions. If the battery is cold, regen is limited until the battery warms up. It usually takes about 1 1/2 miles for that to happen with my car in winter weather.

Are you "driving efficiently" on hilly terrain, using A/C and heat, in a cold climate, stopping and starting a lot, driving over 50mph? What's realistic depends on your driving requirements, style and regional conditions. The longest range will be obtained on a flat highway at around minimum legal highway speeds which is impractical.

I live on a hill and go up and down a hill both coming and going (I have to go up to a crest on the hill from my house and then down). I usually drive 65-70 on the freeway and I usually get close to rated range. It starts dropping at higher speeds. Parking for any length of time (an hour or more) without charging is the only thing that prevents me from getting rated range on a regular basis. It did take some practice to get the range consistently close to rated. The upside is that it actually gets rated range getting up over 25 mph fairly quickly, so doing a little bit of vroom going up the hill is actually better than poking along.

You don't invoke regen by hitting the brake pedal. Hitting the brake pedal engages the mechanical brakes.

Where did I mention that Tesla vehicles invoke regen via brake pedal? ;-)

Other vehicles (specifically Prius) do exactly that.
I should know as I drive a PriusC to hold me over until my M3 arrives...

So my point stands.

If Toyota Prius can invoke regen via 'gentle' brake pedal, why can't Tesla invoke brake pads at very low speed on removal of go pedal pressure?

Therefore, PM (permanent magnets) in motor/generator clearly isn't the only solution for one pedal driving.

Where did I mention that Tesla vehicles invoke regen via brake pedal? ;-)

Other vehicles (specifically Prius) do exactly that.
I should know as I drive a PriusC to hold me over until my M3 arrives...

So my point stands.

If Toyota Prius can invoke regen via 'gentle' brake pedal, why can't Tesla invoke brake pads at very low speed on removal of go pedal pressure?

Therefore, PM (permanent magnets) in motor/generator clearly isn't the only solution for one pedal driving.

I responded to @alevek who was talking about the Model S and you responded to me.

I'm not sure it's true, but I've seen BMW i3 owners claim that it sometimes can apparently use friction brakes to implement one-pedal driving under conditions such as a cold winter battery when regen is insufficient or unavailable. I don't think the Bolt EV ever uses friction brakes for one-pedal except if you are stopped for a "long" period of time when it will engage the electric parking brake and then release it automatically when press the accelerator.

• Informative
Reactions: landis
@insaneoctane, thanks for the heads up. I will give it a few more hours and then copy the usernames.

In case others are wondering what this is about, this poll is part of the Tesla Predictions Competition. You can read the opening message there for more information. Technically, this poll closes a day after tonight's reveal event but I will copy the votes in a few hours and votes after that won't count towards the Predictions Competition. Look at the opening message there to find out how much time is left.

Reactions: ikjadoon
We should know soon enough.... But for now, let's get everyone on the record with a simple YES or NO. No changing your mind either!

I personally can't imagine Elon being "ok" with the base model M3's EPA rating being inferior to the Chevy Bolt's...
There are definitely two camps of tesla folks. One camp seems to be the "tesla as an electric car" camp and creates posts of tesla vs car x. I fall into camp 2: I'm a car guy and bought the tesla for its style speed and luxury. Comparing a tesla to a bolt, volt, prius, murai leaf or other converted ICE cars is ridiculous. May as well compare a Honda Fit to a Ferrari.