Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Will hands free driving be a big win for Tesla?

Will hands free driving be a big win for Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
Omar: Users with more than 10,000 miles on FSD Beta should be given the option to turn off the steering wheel nag.
Elon: Coming this month.

Missy says no way Jose:

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2023.01.07-17_37_19.png

Last edited:
I honestly believe Tesla's value is in it's driver assist technology and it's battery and power train technology.

Tesla also has the supercharger network which is the best when it comes to public DC fast charging.

I would like to see their build quality improve for the price point. I think Tesla is now at the stage where they have to improve build quality, service, and customer satisfaction. Mainstream buyers are not going to accept the current way of doing business.

I voted "maybe".

It will probably depend on how safe the system is. Certainly, if the camera driver monitoring works well enough and we don't see an increase in accidents using hands-free FSD, then I think it will be a big win. Tesla will be able to say that they have released hands-free FSD with supervision to a lot of vehicles, to a large ODD, that is safe enough. That would be huge. It would certain put Tesla way ahead of other L2 hands-free systems like Super Cruise or Blue Cruise. But if we do see an increase in accidents, I think we will see regulators come down hard on Tesla. In that scenario, it won't be a win for Tesla since the public will view Tesla as releasing a bad and unsafe hands-free FSD system. I think the condition that hands-free will only be an option for users with more than 10k FSD Beta miles is an attempt to mitigate risk by limiting hands-free to the most experienced users. And by the time, most users get to 10k miles, FSD Beta may be on a newer and safer version. So it might be fine.

It will be interesting to see how good V11 is. On the current FSD Beta, I've had a few instances where if I had not intervened, it might have caused an accident. But most of my interventions are from bad driving that was not necessarily safety critical. For example, jerky turns, waiting too long to make a turn, not moving over to the turn-only lane quick enough. The instances where I intervened and it was safety critical was when FSD Beta made a turn too tight and almost went into incoming traffic, or creeping forward into cross traffic. Overall, I would rate the current FSD Beta as below an average human driver.

Also, based on Elon's tweet about an update coming in Jan, I wonder if the hands-free option will come with the V11 release. If so, that would make the V11 release a really big deal, arguably the biggest FSD update ever. It would not just be single stack with the car finally handling all driving, highway and non-highway, with the same FSD stack but it would allow hands-free for the first time. So from a PR point of view, it could be a big win for Tesla. And it could result in an increase in FSD sales. So it could be a big win financially.

Last edited:
Not sure how it could be anything but bad policy for an ADAS designed system that's arguably at best as safe as a 15 year old first-time driver. One could see California passing a law to circumvent it.

And gawd knows Omar will push the limits with an attempted handsfree cross country trip for online feathers and clicks.

Speaking of which there's a youtube San Diego taxi guy that regularly overstates FSDb capabilities while attempting intervention free drives complete with people honking at him when he stops in the middle of traffic. He blames it on rude drivers on the road and moments later follows up with 6 or 7 indecisive FSDb slow lane changes within a 1/10 mile stretch. Later he says how proud he is of FSDb's performance.

Society needs protection from this self centered social media driven garbage.

Disabling the steering wheel nags for experienced users is the first step towards eliminating them for all cars with cabin cameras. Tesla likely already has this on their radar and just needs a safe way to ease into it. Nobody likes the wheel nags, so eliminating them would be very welcome.

I honestly doubt there's consistency but how often do y'all get a nag with suburban, 4-lane 40 MPH traffic, no planned turns, few intersections while on FSDb? I'm running about every 15 to 30 seconds.

My preference in style is to have both hands on the wheel at 9/3 just letting the wheel slide through my hands to allow for immediate intervention. But that technique performs no torque. I am not a fan of the "hang one hand on the wheel" approaches - while Elon's AI considers this safe, I do not. Heck, hands off while paying attention is much safer than these kinds of one-hand oversight hacks.

Especially with such buggy software.

Yeah man, this ain’t happening anytime soon. How’s that horn on the model S yoke coming? How about the 1 million robotaxis? How about steam on the 2021 model s and x? The thing with Tesla is don’t believe anything is coming until you see the software downloading on your car.
Do you think difficulty in implementing the things you mentioned is a relevant factor? Or do you believe that EVERYTHING that Elon says will happen is a lie?

I understand your general pessimism, but this seems as if it is something that Tesla can do with relative ease - from an implementation standpoint - if it so chooses to.

Of course, if this rumor gets legs it will not apply to legacy vehicles without a camera.

"... All of the hardware needed for FSD...". Sometimes I think he seeks out law suits, which maybe is a side effect of his style to hoard more $'s and damn the consumer. Still waiting for the FSD promised and paid for some 5 years ago. Try again, Elon.
What's the rumor?

And I do agree with the possibility of only cars with cameras will be nag free.

Not sure how it could be anything but bad policy for an ADAS designed system that's arguably at best as safe as a 15 year old first-time driver. One could see California passing a law to circumvent it.

And gawd knows Omar will push the limits with an attempted handsfree cross country trip for online feathers and clicks.

Speaking of which there's a youtube San Diego taxi guy that regularly overstates FSDb capabilities while attempting intervention free drives complete with people honking at him when he stops in the middle of traffic. He blames it on rude drivers on the road and moments later follows up with 6 or 7 indecisive FSDb slow lane changes within a 1/10 mile stretch. Later he says how proud he is of FSDb's performance.

Society needs protection from this self centered social media driven garbage.
I think your concerns are valid, but not sure how practical with respect to California legislation. That's a very slippery slope that would seemingly make it difficult to pass a law of this nature that only applies to Tesla without impacting other manufacturers.

What's the rumor?

And I do agree with the possibility of only cars with cameras will be nag free.

There is no way Tesla would allow "no nags" on cars without internal cameras as that would mean no driver monitoring at all. And there is no way Tesla will allow FSD without any driver monitoring at all. So yeah, if Tesla removes the nags, it will only be on cars with internal cameras so that they can still do driver monitoring.