Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Will hands free driving be a big win for Tesla?

Will hands free driving be a big win for Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live on Ohio and have had FSD Beta since the first week of Novembr 2021... I used it to drive 95% or more of all my driving. It drives roundabouts better than the vast majority of adults that I know. My biggest issue is that it at times misses a turn a must reroute...

Yes but roundabouts is just one of millions of driving cases that FSD Beta has to be able to handle reliably. Just because it handles your roundabout well, does not mean that it can handle other roundabouts or all the other millions of driving cases as well. You cannot use your limited experience as proof of general behavior. We've actually seen that FSD Beta performance varies a lot based on geographical location with some users saying it works great and others saying it is terrible. FSD Beta does not perform the same everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesomega
Here's a scenario that FSD has never handled. If I am coming west on COnstellation road and wish to make a left here's what usually happens certain times of the day. Jerusalem Ave runs north and south 2 lanes and there are left and right turn lanes to either Heather Ln or the unnamed road. Also cars do come
out of the unnamed road north of Father Flanagans. So if the light turns green at Heather Ln cars will still queue up at the light and cars can come out of the unnamed road north of Father Flanagans (a bar). As cars come from the north they queue up at the red light. IF there are cars in the right lane queueing up i the rightmost lane the car will not insert itself into the clear left southward lane. If it DOES go,it inches up and usually lands in the left turn lane from Jerusalem south into the unnamed road. Too hard to understand? Maybe I can make arrows. This beats Chuck Cook's unprotected left lane. His solution was easy if he drove himself. Floor it into traffic gaps. Too much info??
1673278141276.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tesomega
American history is based on free enterprise and not regulatory approval.
Understood, but that does not mean you put people at risk for the sake of 1 company trying to do something innovative. Yes, they should be allowed to test their system in public roads with their skilled drivers to validate the system. Not the general public. I bought a system that will be tested and approved by the Authorities not some half-baked solution that is available only for the brave-hearted.

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar and 2101Guy
Understood, but that does not mean you put people at risk for the sake of 1 company trying to do something innovative. Yes, they should be allowed to test their system in public roads with their skilled drivers to validate the system. Not the general public. I bought a system that will be tested and approved by the Authorities not some half-baked solution that is available only for the brave-hearted.
Well said. The poster was almost saying that why does government have the right to put up traffic lights. Same with computer code. There are priorities, flags, semaphores, code locking (we call them ENQUEUES in IBM land) otherwise no computer would work. You write code and test every possible scenario that might occur. Sort of short story. A former consulting client of mine that owned department store chains (won't reveal) wondered why certain times of day their online system got backed up and they had to restart it. Turns out the code that checked the credit card number never realized that the number entered at the station was not validity checked for being a correct number. So every time the bad data came in the online code searched the entire massive DB2 database looking for the credit card number.

Last edited:
Understood, but that does not mean you put people at risk for the sake of 1 company trying to do something innovative. Yes, they should be allowed to test their system in public roads with their skilled drivers to validate the system. Not the general public.
Is anything going to be learned from that? The biggest risk is someone not paying attention. What is going to be learned from people payed to pay attention?
I bought a system that will be tested and approved by the Authorities not some half-baked solution that is available only for the brave-hearted.
Odd, which authorities? California? Arizona and other states don't require regulatory approval. I prefer it that way. The potential for very large lawsuits limits the liability most are willing to take. Also the reputation risk might cost millions if something serious were to happen.

They'll shut that down before it even gets started, plus who besides whole earth drives in FSDb that much? Does Tesla just pay him to drive back and forth between LA and SF all week?

Reactions: DanCar
No nonsense. 60mph = 88 feet per second. Let's say you got 10 seconds to avoid a crash or bad FSD move. You'll have travelled 15 feet. And then there's the amount of distance to come to a stop
Am I reading this wrong? Wouldn't you have traveled 880 feet in 10 seconds (which is about the range of the forward camera). Or did you mean to say "you got 0.17 seconds to avoid a crash", which would be 15 feet traveled?

Tesla knows full well that any severe accident caused by FSD beta will be all over the media. That's why they are extra careful, and we don't have to expect many accidents.

Perhaps for the sake of progress we should accept the residual risk, rather than having regulators throttling everything. I can sing a song about this, because I'm in Germany.

Also, when you estimate traffic accident victims, you have to extrapolate into the future. The question to ask is not, how many accident victims will we have this month or this year? The real question is, how many accident victims will we have over the next 10 or 20 years? Accelerating progress could save many lives.

They'll shut that down before it even gets started, plus who besides whole earth drives in FSDb that much? Does Tesla just pay him to drive back and forth between LA and SF all week?
Tesla could partner with Ride-hailing services, and provide their cars/systems for a fee (with Drivers being paid to operate this system). They could get lot more information about these drives than one of FSDb drivers, showcasing their talents in Youtube.