Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Would you buy an early production Model 3?

Would you want an early production Model 3 if you could get one?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not stand in line for 3 hours in late March so that I can get a car 6 months after production starts.

I did stand in line for a bit over 3 hours in late March, and expected to get my car >= a year after production starts.... Hope to get it sooner, but do not expect - and did not expect that at the time - to happen.

Hey, is this a mine is bigger than yours thing ... ? My cold and rainy hour and half beats your three hours :D

I expected to not get my car for 9 - 12 months after production started. With the new schedule I'm hoping for within 6 months, and I'll happily wait until some of the kinks are worked out.

• Funny
Reactions: MassModel3
If Tesla informed you that you could be the first one on your block with the newest Tesla and would likely qualify for all of the tax credits, would you be willing to take on the risks of having to deal with early design and production defects?

Before you answer, think about this:

Even the most experienced auto manufactures run into design and manufacturing problems when they introduce major new platforms…and production lines. Many experienced buyers “wait until the second year” so that early design bugs can be discovered and hopefully fixed. And they wait until there are multiple product reviews available.

Tesla is not a well seasoned manufacturer. And their track record for new platforms may be impressive for a new manufacturer, but is not exactly stellar. However, they do roll design fixes into production much faster than traditional manufacturers and have had an excellent record for fixing design and manufacturing flaws (when possible) in customer vehicles.

Further issues to consider:

1. Challenging financial circumstances may force the Model 3 into production before it’s fully baked.
2. Initial orders may require a long list of expensive options.
3. Due to supplier or certification issues, some desirable options (and features) may not be available on early orders.

So, would you really want an early production Model 3 if you could get one?

***tapping the glass of the mirror taking up half of the room to see if it's one-way glass***

Are we suddenly in a focus group?

Asking for a friend....

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
I did stand in line for a bit over 3 hours in late March, and expected to get my car >= a year after production starts.... Hope to get it sooner, but do not expect - and did not expect that at the time - to happen.

At 1:17 AM, I arrived at the Tesla showroom in Springdale. I was third in line. The two guys in front of me brought folding chairs. In my sleepy stupor, I forgot mine.

The weather was not good. It was 15 degrees and snowing. I forgot to bring my gloves.

At about 6 AM, the weather turned really bad. The wind kicked up and it started hailing. The showroom had no awning. There were about a dozen people behind me. Several of them left.

Around 7:30, a lightning storm started. The guy in front of me actually got struck! Actually, his metal chair did. He was shaken but OK. His chair was toast and he had some burn marks on his coat.

My hair, what little I still have, was standing straight up. My ears were ringing and I had some “snow blindness” from the flash. His comment before staggering off, “No car is worth this!” And he left. So did many of the people behind us. So now, I was number two. And I had a semi-usable chair to sit on.

Only two hours to go.

The weather improved. The sun was out. I could see several Tesla employees in the store getting ready to take orders. Five minutes before 10. I’m off my chair and ready for the doors to open. (I really had to pee). The line of people waiting to get in was now around the block. I couldn’t see the end.

Then I notice something in the corner of my eye. The traffic light on the corner was dark. And so were the stores across the street. And so was the Tesla showroom. The lightning must have taken out a transformer and over-stressed the local grid.

The store opened. It was dark inside. Their computers were dark. The two display Model S’s and an employee’s cell phone were the only spots of light.

After getting off of the phone, the store manager addressed the line of customers, “The power will be out for at least 5 hours. We can’t take any orders until then. You can wait here, come back later, or order online after 7 tonight.”

The customers were not happy. I used their restroom, kicked a tire, and left. No early Model 3 for me.

• Informative
Reactions: eisbock
At 1:17 AM, I arrived at the Tesla showroom in Springdale. I was third in line. The two guys in front of me brought folding chairs. In my sleepy stupor, I forgot mine.

The weather was not good. It was 15 degrees and snowing. I forgot to bring my gloves.

At about 6 AM, the weather turned really bad. The wind kicked up and it started hailing. The showroom had no awning. There were about a dozen people behind me. Several of them left.

Around 7:30, a lightning storm started. The guy in front of me actually got struck! Actually, his metal chair did. He was shaken but OK. His chair was toast and he had some burn marks on his coat.

My hair, what little I still have, was standing straight up. My ears were ringing and I had some “snow blindness” from the flash. His comment before staggering off, “No car is worth this!” And he left. So did many of the people behind us. So now, I was number two. And I had a semi-usable chair to sit on.

Only two hours to go.

The weather improved. The sun was out. I could see several Tesla employees in the store getting ready to take orders. Five minutes before 10. I’m off my chair and ready for the doors to open. (I really had to pee). The line of people waiting to get in was now around the block. I couldn’t see the end.

Then I notice something in the corner of my eye. The traffic light on the corner was dark. And so were the stores across the street. And so was the Tesla showroom. The lightning must have taken out a transformer and over-stressed the local grid.

The store opened. It was dark inside. Their computers were dark. The two display Model S’s and an employee’s cell phone were the only spots of light.

After getting off of the phone, the store manager addressed the line of customers, “The power will be out for at least 5 hours. We can’t take any orders until then. You can wait here, come back later, or order online after 7 tonight.”

The customers were not happy. I used their restroom, kicked a tire, and left. No early Model 3 for me.
But at least you get to sell the movie rights to this experience, right?

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3

Damn, that really sucks! But at least you win the "my wait in line was worse than yours" contest. :D

At 1:17 AM, I arrived at the Tesla showroom in Springdale. I was third in line. The two guys in front of me brought folding chairs...

I forgot to add..."And then my wife woke me up and asked, "Didn't you want to go sign up for one of those new Tesla's?""

I'll admit, I am nervous about sinking all this money into a first gen Model 3.

Tesla doesn't have the greatest track record for first gen cars, and while I do realize this will be a simpler car and Tesla now has more experience, there will still be teething issues. I'm nervous because this will be my daily driver. If I'm still at the same job in a few years, it might not be a big deal because my company is extremely flexible and I can afford to show up late or not at all here and there when my Model 3 inevitably ends up in the shop.

I've typically been a no BS kinda guy and can't stand when my car breaks down and it all ends up being a gigantic inconvenience. And I'm driving an old Camry. Those things are nearly indestructible. I'm not sure how I'll handle the prospect of owning a significantly newer vehicle with significantly more problems, repairs, and time/money wasted. It's going to be downright infuriating. I'm hoping the car will be awesome enough to look the other way.

But I also want that tax credit. $7500 or even $4350 may be enough to accept and deal with the issues. Being on the east coast, I will also get my car much later after major problems have (hopefully) been figured out. And if I'm not able to get my car soon enough to qualify for the credit, there will be thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of Model 3s on the road already and those niggling issues may be discovered and fixed by then.

My worry then becomes long-term issues that rear their ugly head a few years down the road: things that can't be fixed before I get my car because they're not known. If I don't qualify for the full tax credit (half might not be enough to justify my decision), I might cancel my reservation and order a Model 3 in a couple years when the dust settles and it is a more robust and reliable vehicle.

Now the worry there is my current car situation. It needs a lot of work. More work than the damn thing is worth. But they are things I can deal with and ride out for a year or two. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it last without spending a ton of money for much longer than that, and I absolutely hate sinking cash into this damn thing because of how little it's worth and the fact that I just don't give a crap about it. Who wants to spend money on something they have no passion or desire for?

Another thing regarding inconvenience. When a car breaks down, it's whatever. I'll get a warranty and deal with it. But sometimes I do time-sensitive stuff or may miss out on opportunities because my car broke down on the way. I like beer, and I go get rare or exciting beer at releases that only happen unannounced once or twice a year maybe. I would be mega pissed if my car broke down on a spontaneous trip and I missed out.

I've no doubt the car will be awesome though (when it works), and for that, I'm gonna try to suck it up. We shall see.

I seem to have fallen into the "I want to see one, drive one, and check out a few reviews first" minority. I guess worse case I could most likely sell it for what I bought it for as I'm sure there will be a backlog for years. But given the choice I would definitely like to test drive it first.

I seem to have fallen into the "I want to see one, drive one, and check out a few reviews first" minority. I guess worse case I could most likely sell it for what I bought it for as I'm sure there will be a backlog for years. But given the choice I would definitely like to test drive it first.
I'm curious what factors you're nervous about that you'd like to check out in person. For me on the X we were concerned about third row access and leg room, and cargo space (with all seats occupied). For the three, I have no qualms. I could see possibly being nervous about the trunk opening, or different styles of roof. As far as driving dynamics, expect the best drive and ride of any car in its price class, if not that you've ever driven :). Maybe you're on the fence of how much acceleration you need (after driving an X 90D for a while, I think I've concluded I "need" a P for my personal fun car, but probably not an L).

Seeing as you're on the East Coast, you'll likely get to drive in one *(I'm doubting they let us drive them...could be wrong...) before you fully commit. There will probably be "meet the Model 3" events around this time next year...assuming they stay on schedule.

I want to check out how the weather seals are attached to the doors.

Tomorrow, Model X will have been in service for 6 weeks. One door seal replacement has not been easy, as alignment of the glass roof was affected as seen on the left. Model X seal repairs take time compared with Model S with its easier pin and hole installation.

At the center, excessive appliqué sealant flowed down the rubber seal and exited out the bottom of the falcon wing door seal. You can see that the excessive sealant caused the new appliqué in the center to bulge. It should appear flat. I have requested a re-do to solve these service issues.

August Repairs.jpg

I would want to carefully look at how Model 3 is constructed to avoid future repair delays. Waiting to examine the final production version will help to understand what to expect with Model 3 repairs and how other models compare at that time.

I want to check out how the weather seals are attached to the doors.

Tomorrow, Model X will have been in service for 6 weeks. One door seal replacement has not been easy, as alignment of the glass roof was affected as seen on the left. Model X seal repairs take time compared with Model S with its easier pin and hole installation.

At the center, excessive appliqué sealant flowed down the rubber seal and exited out the bottom of the falcon wing door seal. You can see that the excessive sealant caused the new appliqué in the center to bulge. It should appear flat. I have requested a re-do to solve these service issues.

View attachment 191117

I would want to carefully look at how Model 3 is constructed to avoid future repair delays. Waiting to examine the final production version will help to understand what to expect with Model 3 repairs and how other models compare at that time.
Sucks about your door seals. Unfortunately, a lot of repairs like that will get better only with trial and error by the service guys as they learn what works and what doesn't (aka: how to do it the right way). Downside of being on the bleeding edge, my friend.

Well, since EM said that they're not doing anything crazy on the 3, hopefully that means stuff like your gotta-do-it-a-few-times-to-get-the-hang-of-it door seal becomes a thing of the past for Tesla.