Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 911 out - Tesla Model S in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All good advice. I appreciate it. I'm hoping the MX is so badass, that I lose interest in driving anything else. After driving the MS for a few hours yesterday, I think the autopilot is incredible, electronics very cool, and acceleration is amazing. But, it still feels big and wide and a bit disconnected. I think reading this forum for the last couple of months raised my expectations to a level that was impossible to achieve.

All good advice. I appreciate it. I'm hoping the MX is so badass, that I lose interest in driving anything else. After driving the MS for a few hours yesterday, I think the autopilot is incredible, electronics very cool, and acceleration is amazing. But, it still feels big and wide and a bit disconnected. I think reading this forum for the last couple of months raised my expectations to a level that was impossible to achieve.

You will find the Model X badass. I have had my Model X for just over a month, and the only other car I'd prefer to drive is a Model S.

Get the Model S for your wife and drive the Model X. That is my vote.

I can't speak towards how you'll feel about your 911 cab; however, if you had said 928S then I have the answer: go for the Model S. I had a 928S years ago and the Model S reminds me a lot of it - big yet able to get out of it's own way surprisingly quickly, the ability to carve into corners, and then an adrenaline rush when powering out of them (I have a RWD P85+). I hope your decision leaves you happy and with no regrets.

Ex Porsche guy here. I do miss the "cab" part, but not the Porsche part. The P(85,90)D has plenty to offer for spirited driving. It's not a track car, so if that's a priority you may want to keep both, otherwise sell the 911.

Same situation here, ordered a 70D.. but going to sell a 2007 911 to make room... after 5 test drives, i must say i enjoy the balance of the Tesla...

If i ever step back to a 911, it will be a GTS.

I have a similar dilemma - I've been thinking about selling the 996GT3 to finance a P90D for a while, but I fear I'll regret the decision later.

I bought the GT3 as a track car, but I haven't been to the track in 4 years, and I think I'm over that phase. Everything that makes it a great track car makes it a not-so-good street car (stiff suspension, heavy clutch, lack of "nanny systems", etc).

Nice to have such problems, I suppose. :wink:

996 GT3 is a rare bird that will go up in value, particularly with the turbo engines now.
It's probably the worse GT care for the street!!

996 GT3 is a rare bird that will go up in value, particularly with the turbo engines now.
It's probably the worse GT care for the street!!
Yes, that's a factor, too. I bought it as a CPO just before prices bottomed, and they are selling for more than I paid now. Selling an appreciating asset to buy a depreciating one is probably not the best move...

also in the same boat (almost). currently drive a 991 Carrera S coupe (bought it used, second owner here)....have owned other Porsche 911s and luxe sedans so i can relate to and appreciate both. not to become too long winded, have visited our local TSLA store a few times now over the last 24hrs and test drove both the 90D and P90D(L) just this morning. the 991 and MS are both in a league of their own, and so very, very different than one another. i like what one of the other posters said and that is, if you can wait to sell the Porsche that might be the way to go, but owning two cars for myself i don't want to do at this moment (we have 4 cars, 3 drivers as it is right now). purchasing the MS and paying tax up front would make for a very expensive exercise should the MS be the one to be sold, leasing it might be more friendly up front but getting out of one in the short-run will be less easy. if you want the small car and sports call feel (and everything that comes with it, noise, cockpit coziness, handling, precision) then the MS won't suffice as it is a big car albeit one with a low center of gravity. if you're tired of getting in and out of the Porsche, would like a little more room and flexibility while obtaining a whole 'nuther level of technology (and what comes with it, control car from iPhone, quiet, gadgetry, space, comfy ride) then the MS is the way to go i think.

decisions, decisions....... ;)

Ok. So I need some real impartial advice here. Have too many cars. Model X coming home next week. Need to make a final decision on a P85D by this Monday! The big question - will I miss my 911 S cab if I replace it with a model s. Currently have the MS for a weekend test drive and I am very mixed in my opinion. So, it really is an amazing car. However, it's very different from a 911. It feels way bigger and doesn't have that amazing connection to the road that a much smaller Porsche has. I feel like both along with the MX is overkill and a waste of money. Opinions? Would I be making a mistake by selling the 911?
Is the 911 your "every day driver"? If you and you have a commute that involves any traffic I doubt you'd want to drive any car that doesn't have the autopilot features. Same feeling if you plan to take road trips. The question really is how do you use the 911 now?

You may want to find a 2014 P85D that has the +!• suspension. That helps with the road feel. Sadly, Tesla doesn't offer it anymore.

I've never understood the psychological function of message board questions like this. It is a question asking strangers to first compare apples to oranges, and then tell the OP what his own emotional state will be if he executes a transaction to which none of us is a party.

What are you really hoping to gain from the answers to this question, OP?

As far as I can tell what you are really experiencing is some kind of decision making anxiety. In that case the best anyone can tell you is the truth - cars are disposable toys and none of these choices actually matter. If you don't like your choice change it back later. In the mean time don't sweat it and be glad you're rich. Life is good.

Last edited:
I've never understood the psychological function of message board questions like this. It is a question asking strangers to first compare apples to oranges, and then tell the OP what his own emotional state will be if he executes a transaction to which none of us is a party.

In my experience, these kinds of questions are generally fishing for confirmation on a subconscious decision that's already been made. Nothing wrong with that.. there are emotions involved and if it makes the decision easier, so be it.

The rush is I have to make a decision on the MS by Monday and worry that if it isn't big enough for my wife, I then need to buy her another suv and the MS defaults back to me.

Seems like you should be asking your wife if the S is big enough for her needs? There's no way we can speak for her.

If the problem is that your order is confirming on Monday and she won't be able to assess before then, just ask Tesla to defer the confirmation date until you can get feedback from your wife. Tesla would much prefer to do that over you canceling the order altogether.

What are you really hoping to gain from the answers to this question, OP?

As far as I can tell what you are really experiencing is some kind of decision making anxiety. In that case the best anyone can tell you is the truth - cars are disposable toys and none of these choices actually matter. If you don't like your choice change it back later. In the mean time don't sweat it and be glad you're rich. Life is good.

lol. I think my question is very valid for me. I assume a bunch of owners are or have been 911 owners and thus understand the difference in driving feel. I want to find out about real life experiences from people that have already been thru it. In case you aren't aware of the obvious, success comes from learning from people that know more than you do. So therefore I ask questions. But only questions I truly want answers to. And, btw, correcting a mistake like this later gets very expensive!

Ok. So I need some real impartial advice here. Have too many cars. Model X coming home next week. Need to make a final decision on a P85D by this Monday! The big question - will I miss my 911 S cab if I replace it with a model s. Currently have the MS for a weekend test drive and I am very mixed in my opinion. So, it really is an amazing car. However, it's very different from a 911. It feels way bigger and doesn't have that amazing connection to the road that a much smaller Porsche has. I feel like both along with the MX is overkill and a waste of money. Opinions? Would I be making a mistake by selling the 911?

Just sold my Targa 4S and will sell my 16 year old Audi S4 to get the 90D. I've had the Targa 5 years and only put 16,000 miles on it -- that's the problem. Live in Colorado, never drive the Porsche in the winter. Such a shame. Now I'll have an MS to replace both. Since it hasn't been delivered yet, I can't tell you for sure that I made the right decision. But clearly, after a multiday test drive of the Tesla, I pulled the trigger on this whole process.

Sandy

Seems like you should be asking your wife if the S is big enough for her needs? There's no way we can speak for her.

If the problem is that your order is confirming on Monday and she won't be able to assess before then, just ask Tesla to defer the confirmation date until you can get feedback from your wife. Tesla would much prefer to do that over you canceling the order altogether.

We are in the middle of a two night test drive. I am buying slightly used at a monster discount. I need to confirm it by tomorrow. Wife loves the car.....today. But anybody that has been married for a while knows that women often change their minds and once they aren't happy, explaining to somebody that they are driving the best, safest, fastest, super expensive cars in the world doesn't change their mind. Thus, it then becomes my car. Oh, did I mention I originally purchased the 911 as a weekend car for us to share. I let her pick the color and she was into it. 20 min into our drive home from the dealership, after spending well over 100k, she informed me that she didn't feel comfortable driving it and wasn't interested. Lol. Now it's my car. She isn't allowed to drive it. I may need therapy soon!

For me I still miss my 911 Turbo Cab, but I would miss my P85D even more. I miss the convertible and the handling of my 911. Everything else is better in the MS, but those are two big things IMO.

One day if I have the space and money for two expensive cars I'll likely get another 911.

The best car to own is the one you will drive the most.

Being a Volt owner for the past four years while also having a 991 Cab at the same time (and an SL55 AMG before that) I found myself driving the Volt the majority of the time. I do live in the bay area which has a lot of congestion so maybe that had something to so with it but the simplicity, fast start and quietness of the Volt is hard to ignore. I imagine the Model S/X is similar but many, many degrees better.

You can always pick up another 911 in the future - the 991's are rapidly depreciating and I'd agree on getting the GTS if you go that route.

Good luck.

PS - I do miss my white 996TT however ;-)