Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan EPA range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, all I know is that Porsche makes some of The finest gasoline sports automobiles in the world. I myself have owned four (two 914s and two 911s, all new, in my younger days).

But in today’s Tesla-dominated EV world, Porsche is like the world’s finest cassette tape mfr. who, due to lagging sales against Tesla, must now learn to make CDs...while Tesla has already moved on to flash memory and cloud storage.

In fact my 2-year old MS75D (with two-year older/earlier battery technology) still gets about the same range (still) as Porsche’s newly developed ~93kwh battery in this recent article test...and my official EPA range (still) absolutely crushes Porsche’s official EPA range of 201 miles.

Last edited:
In fact my 2-year old MS75D (with two-year older/earlier battery technology) still gets about the same range (still) as Porsche’s newly developed ~93kwh battery in this recent article test...and my official EPA range (still) absolutely crushes Porsche’s official EPA range of 201 miles.
The 75D is also a much slower car. The most comparable Model S (the P90D) actually has a pretty similar range as the Taycan if you go by the real world results.

But what's its Nurburgring time? :p

The Toyota Prius has more range than a Porsche 918 Spyder, clearly Toyota's hybrid tech is superior.

Reactions: gowthamn

Yep, pretty amazing. Almost like the EPA results do not reflect reality...

It'll be interesting to see the updated CARB UDDS AER results from the Taycan Turbo S with the updated control software, which must, per executive order, be submitted to California before about March 15th, as everyone is aware. It'll cost Porsche $37,500 per Taycan, paid to the great State of California, if they don't get those result in on time (which I'm sure won't be an issue as it's pretty clear they already have them!).

Yep, pretty amazing. Almost like the EPA results do not reflect reality...

This leads to an interesting discussion. How close do other cars get to EPA results? My personal experience with i3 and Model 3 is that i3 can easily beat EPA range in typical So. Cal. driving, whereas as Model 3 cannot. I know my friend with Bolt is also exceeding EPA results by a fairly healthy margin. So why such a drastic difference?

More articles about Taycan range..........Man the EPA was off.

AMCI Calls Out MotorTrend's Real-World Porsche Taycan Range Test
With that said, the AMCI testing procedure, which appears to be much more extensive, shows an extra 24 miles of real-world range. MotorTrend's tests extrapolate some data and shows less range, but this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. In the end, both organizations are among the many that have found the first all-electric Porsche to offer more range than the EPA suggests.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Off by 10%, is that about right?

I used to be a believer in the EPA test cycle, the “gold standard” of testing regimens. It had such a reputation because NEDC was so wildly over-optimistic, and EPA seemed closer to reality. Then WLTP was introduced, which is more conservative than NEDC but still tends to be somewhat over-optimistic as compared with EPA.

However, the more I’ve dug into EPA and learned what a mess it is, the more I’ve lost faith in it. It seems like WLTP really is a newer and greatly improved standard for testing BEVs. Yes, WLTP is somewhat optimistic, but I can factor for that. I can multiply WLTP×85% and get fairly close to real driving range. The advantage is that WLTP is simply less quirky and eccentric than EPA. It’s a more reliable basis for comparing the efficiency of different vehicles, which is, after all, supposed to be the whole point of these standards.

And as for the Taycan… Well, it still has less range than a Model S, and for many of us range is still King. However, it seems like the Taycan is undeserving of the outright mockery that some have been piling on. It’s not that bad.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I used to be a believer in the EPA test cycle, the “gold standard” of testing regimens. It had such a reputation because NEDC was so wildly over-optimistic, and EPA seemed closer to reality. Then WLTP was introduced, which is more conservative than NEDC but still tends to be somewhat over-optimistic as compared with EPA.

However, the more I’ve dug into EPA and learned what a mess it is, the more I’ve lost faith in it. It seems like WLTP really is a newer and greatly improved standard for testing BEVs. Yes, WLTP is somewhat optimistic, but I can factor for that. I can multiply WLTP×85% and get fairly close to real driving range. The advantage is that WLTP is simply less quirky and eccentric than EPA. It’s a more reliable basis for comparing the efficiency of different vehicles, which is, after all, supposed to be the whole point of these standards.

And as for the Taycan… Well, it still has less range than a Model S, and for many of us range is still King. However, it seems like the Taycan is undeserving of the outright mockery that some have been piling on. It’s not that bad.
It seems like a biggest issue with the EPA test is that they allow the use of their old "2 cycle" testing regime for EVs instead the newer "5 cycle" test.

Thought this be a good alternative if you want a luxury car that has craftmanship in the interior. That is something Tesla is lacking if you really must have that swaggy interior from Mercedes / BMW / Porsche.

My parents currently drive a Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1 and Mercedes S-class, current gen. It has a nice interior, but even that GLC AMG feels slow when compared to something like a Tesla Model X or my Model 3. It makes alot of noise though, it's flashy looking, has a cool interior, but its slow, and no autopilot. And gas cars give me driving fatigue, electric doesn't. And I feel I can't live without autopilot anymore, its so great to have when you got an 1+ hour drive and its night time, roads are clear, and you're tired.

If I catch up with old high school friends maybe I'll ask my mom to borrow her car. But still, I think the Model X will still beat this car. Even if its not as flashy looking as the GLC 63 s AMG

maxresdefault.jpg