Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan is MUCH better looking than the Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to know about their OTA updates if any, actual range vs claimed, how the interior controls feel vs tesla. E.g. HVAC controls, radio, internet, if there is any free connectivity stuff like slacker.

I assume home charging will feel just like your old tesla. I guess if I'm serious about possibly changing I should be concerned about away from home charging. I only use the superchargers a few times a month. Not really needed (I have plenty of range) but convenient. I would have to get used to paying for it and having to set up something with charge america oor someone else. Even if it's just for piece of mind.

Oh yea is the 3 years free charging from Electrify America unlimited or a monthly quota thing?

Last edited:
the free charging is from EA is for 30 minute sessions, I do not know if they can be stacked by switching units but on the 350kw units 30 minutes will get you close to 90% charged from under 20%. I do not think that the porsche tech side of things is close to being as robust as tesla's is and porsche unlike tesla doesn't beta test then tweak things via updates. slacker would be via apple car place, apple music is native. range reports far exceed what porsche is reporting, 270 mile+ is doable but is lower than tesla's ranges. the climate controls are via a haptic touch screen, 1 for porsche.
the major difference is that the model S is a big and fast sedan while the taycan is a big fast sports car. driving a taycan is much different from a model S. but everyone has different needs.

the free charging is from EA is for 30 minute sessions, I do not know if they can be stacked by switching units but on the 350kw units 30 minutes will get you close to 90% charged from under 20%. I do not think that the porsche tech side of things is close to being as robust as tesla's is and porsche unlike tesla doesn't beta test then tweak things via updates. slacker would be via apple car place, apple music is native. range reports far exceed what porsche is reporting, 270 mile+ is doable but is lower than tesla's ranges. the climate controls are via a haptic touch screen, 1 for porsche.
the major difference is that the model S is a big and fast sedan while the taycan is a big fast sports car. driving a taycan is much different from a model S. but everyone has different needs.
FWIW: new article on taycan and EA charging
Porsche Taycan Cold Weather DC Fast Charge Test

So if you only used 20 min you just screwed yourself out of the last 10 min? Seems like a total charge time for the three years would be better but then they would need a way to monitor how much you've used. Hard when you don't own the charging system. Probably multiple sessions with a max of 30 min/session This is not a game changer for me as I don't travel and rely on my home charge level for daily trips.

the is no doubt that tesla leads the way with their supercharging network and that the EA network porsche is leaning on has many issues. but while the EA network is wonky I haven't heard of any of their stations being overcrowded like many tesla superchargers are.

Well...when you have so few users, why would they be crowded? Each location often has fewer stalls than Tesla.

Tesla keeps adding locations and stalls. Just check the map at supercharge.info.

Tesla does have a Chademo adapter. I wouldn’t mind a CCS adapter like Europe has.

I tested the Taycan today for about 30 minutes, and left unimpressed. I have an X and a LR Model 3. Power felt equal to or even less than my Model 3, and handling might have felt marginally better. The interior was a bit nicer than a Tesla, but I’m one of those that never minded the minimalist interiors. Build quality was far better than a Tesla, and the exterior design is leaps and bounds better. But the worst part was the fisheye backup camera which is completely unusable. I couldn’t even back into a mall parking spot because of this and the fact that there is virtually zero visibility through the rear window.

I really want to try something different than Tesla but I was expecting more. Anyone here disagree?

I tested the Taycan today for about 30 minutes, and left unimpressed. I have an X and a LR Model 3. Power felt equal to or even less than my Model 3, and handling might have felt marginally better. The interior was a bit nicer than a Tesla, but I’m one of those that never minded the minimalist interiors. Build quality was far better than a Tesla, and the exterior design is leaps and bounds better. But the worst part was the fisheye backup camera which is completely unusable. I couldn’t even back into a mall parking spot because of this and the fact that there is virtually zero visibility through the rear window.

I really want to try something different than Tesla but I was expecting more. Anyone here disagree?
You can actually switch the rear camera between panorama (fish eye) and normal view.

Reactions: mk677
When I drove the Taycan, the rear camera was one of my pet peeves also. Not that it was bad when it was on (reversing) but I have gotten used to having my MS rear on all the time to increase rear vision. On the Taycan, it seemed that it was only an option to have it on when backing. The Taycan has horrible rear visibility through the normal rear view mirror. It definitely needs an always on view on the camera.

When I drove the Taycan, the rear camera was one of my pet peeves also. Not that it was bad when it was on (reversing) but I have gotten used to having my MS rear on all the time to increase rear vision. On the Taycan, it seemed that it was only an option to have it on when backing. The Taycan has horrible rear visibility through the normal rear view mirror. It definitely needs an always on view on the camera.
Surround view option. Fantastic.

I agree with the OP. The wise car buying decision would be the Tesla model 3 Plaid over the Taycan. But just sitting there in a parking lot. Porsche is just next level when it comes to that.
telsa model 3 plaid is vaporware at this point in time.
the model 3 is a great car, it is a fast sedan while the taycan is a true sports car.
if you are happy with the limitations in performance in the model 3, great, however if you want a true EV sports car at this moment the taycan is the king

Reactions: XLR82XS