Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan Vs Tesla Model S: Review, Road Test, Race, Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better yet a slip time from a Dragway. That's actually the gold standard not vbox. And while two tenths of a second doesn't sound like much at that speed it's almost 40 feet. And to really rub it in the Porsche cost about ten thousand bucks less than the new Roadster will cost. And that's not even a contest.
The trap speed is 125mph which is basically the same as Top Gear's results (123mph). Trap speed is much more repeatable than ET and is correlated much more closely with horsepower and much less with traction. The track Top Gear used probably had less traction than a real drag strip.

The trap speed is 125mph which is basically the same as Top Gear's results (123mph). Trap speed is much more repeatable than ET and is correlated much more closely with horsepower and much less with traction. The track Top Gear used probably had less traction than a real drag strip.

Yes and as several people have discussed they didn't have it in the max ludicrous launch mode.

Yes and as several people have discussed they didn't have it in the max ludicrous launch mode.
They claim they did. I'm not sure why people are so confused. The Model S pulls crazy hard at low speeds so it needs lots of traction to get the best times.
Here's a plot that illustrates what's going on:

Tesla-Acceleration-Chart.jpg

Both the 911 Turbo S and the Model S have basically the same 1/4 mile time but the Tesla needs enough traction to pull 1.4G to achieve it. The 911 accelerates faster after 60mph so it has a higher trap speed but that's not enough to overcome the Model S advantage from 0-60. Now, on a road surface with a little bit less traction the 911 will be quicker in the 1/4 mile. There is no mystery or conspiracy!

I think Top Gear has hit their head a few too many times.

I can run 11.2s (the times they claim the Raven Model S ran) in my Pre-Raven P100D Model X.

I will be out tomorrow in my Raven Model S with Dragy device collecting my own times with video on surface roads.

BTW, the drag race shown against the Audi R8 V10+ in Dragtimes vid is my Model S with me as the driver. It ran 4 passes that night all in the 10.6 range.

Last edited:
I think Top Gear has hit their head a few too many times.

I can run 11.2s (the times they claim the Raven Model S ran) in my Pre-Raven P100D Model X.

I will be out tomorrow in my Raven Model S with Dragy device collecting my own times with video on surface roads.

BTW, the drag race shown against the Audi R8 V10+ in Dragtimes vid is my Model S with me as the driver. It ran 4 passes that night all in the 10.6 range.

Get a Taycan Turbo S and make the comparison on the same track at the same time at the same ambient temperature.

Get a Taycan Turbo S and make the comparison on the same track at the same time at the same ambient temperature.

Good point on the ambient temperature. Gotta make sure the DA is the same cause that can affect the turbo big time in the Porsche.

On a serious note, I can't imagine any relatively clean asphalt surface making the Model S drop to 11.2sec runs at 85% charge. They clearly are not doing something right.

Jason

Reactions: bhzmark
I absolutely care!! I take pride in owning the quickest mass produced EV in the world. If Porsche (or anyone) makes something quicker than congrats to them. But if they don't make something quicker and someone reports that it is quicker it needs to be called out. And if Tesla no longer is the quickest than so be it. I will keep my Tesla but no longer claim to be quickest.

BTW, I'm 46yrs old.

I care too. And I don't own a Model S or any Performance Tesla.

One reason I care is, I want Tesla to whip the company that brought us Diesel Gate.
Second reason is, just like "sex sells", so do drag races

I want Tesla to succeed and part of that success is being the "best of" a bunch of things.

The next generation of car owners, now in high school, know everything about Tesla's for a reason.

BTW, I'm way older than 46.

Good point on the ambient temperature. Gotta make sure the DA is the same cause that can affect the turbo big time in the Porsche.

On a serious note, I can't imagine any relatively clean asphalt surface making the Model S drop to 11.2sec runs at 85% charge. They clearly are not doing something right.

Jason

They may have missed the Ludicrous Easter egg mode.

They claim they did. I'm not sure why people are so confused. The Model S pulls crazy hard at low speeds so it needs lots of traction to get the best times.
Here's a plot that illustrates what's going on:

View attachment 471894
Both the 911 Turbo S and the Model S have basically the same 1/4 mile time but the Tesla needs enough traction to pull 1.4G to achieve it. The 911 accelerates faster after 60mph so it has a higher trap speed but that's not enough to overcome the Model S advantage from 0-60. Now, on a road surface with a little bit less traction the 911 will be quicker in the 1/4 mile. There is no mystery or conspiracy!

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I was joking about them getting paid. It's just sloppy work that's all. And whether it's sloppy work or worse (cooked work) which is unlikely , it loses confidence in readers and followers because they've created an non-level playing field. Whether that's intentional or not is probably not a productive subject. But the fact is that it's not a Level Playing Field in this test. In other words the conditions or the launch was not optimal and additionally, they report numbers that are actually identical to an earlier published result on the Tesla S. Not close but identical. That suggests that the numbers were tacked on after the result. More evidence of corner-cutting and again not professional and certainly not consistent with any kind of commitment to technical Excellence that someone in their position has to have.

Reactions: Racerx22b
Did my own testing on my 2019 Raven Model S Performance on surface street. Launch Mode used and full blown Ludicrous ++++ secret easter egg mode engaged.

96% SOC - 10.67 @ 124mph Max output 581.6kW

88% SOC - 10.7 @ 124mph Max Output 580.7kW

Thanks for your data.

I made an approximate distance calculation based on the acceleration numbers. I just used constant acceleration between the time points so it's not perfect, but it shows a difference in your and Top Gear's runs.

You appear to run a shorter distance, not 1/4 mile.
Just look at their Taycan time. They reach 1/4 mile in similar time than you, however their speed is a lot higher, over 130 mph and 0-60 is better than yours. That alone suggests you run a shorter distance.

1/4 mile is 402 meters.
For the Top Gear runs I estimated 397, 403 and 403 meters. For yours they are 383 and 382 meters.

Dragtime.PNG

One more question, are you on 21" rims?

Thanks for your data.

I made an approximate distance calculation based on the acceleration numbers. I just used constant acceleration between the time points so it's not perfect, but it shows a difference in your and Top Gear's runs.

You appear to run a shorter distance, not 1/4 mile.
Just look at their Taycan time. They reach 1/4 mile in similar time than you, however their speed is a lot higher, over 130 mph and 0-60 is better than yours. That alone suggests you run a shorter distance.

1/4 mile is 402 meters.
For the Top Gear runs I estimated 397, 403 and 403 meters. For yours they are 383 and 382 meters.

View attachment 472133

One more question, are you on 21" rims?

I left my math degree at home so I don't follow your chart but I respect the amount of work you put into it. It looks impressive.

I am on OEM 21" wheels. Not sure if the below numbers change your math at all but these are from a recent track day. The time at the bottom in the first pic is me (10.604 @124.xx mph) and then 10.612 @ 124.67 mph in the other slip.

IMG_0470.jpg
IMG_0471.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric