Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable refrigerators for Model Y

austinY

Mar 5, 2020
Austin
Has anyone done the legwork on coolers that would fit in the sub trunk area- seems you could keep some stuff cool and still have the area available for sleeping on some overnight trips or grocery runs.
I can start digging into the Dometic site and report back, but curious if anyone had already done the legwork.

According to a youtube video I watched, an average cooler would consumer 1mi/hr of range - which I think you could improve by priming it (cooling off of AC power while home) and loading it up before departure.

rxlawdude

Jul 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Has anyone done the legwork on coolers that would fit in the sub trunk area- seems you could keep some stuff cool and still have the area available for sleeping on some overnight trips or grocery runs.
I can start digging into the Dometic site and report back, but curious if anyone had already done the legwork.

According to a youtube video I watched, an average cooler would consumer 1mi/hr of range - which I think you could improve by priming it (cooling off of AC power while home) and loading it up before departure.
Or, there's always ice packs. :cool:

austinY

Mar 5, 2020
Austin
Also realized anything with a compressor would need more ventilation than in the subtrunk so that's out. Anyway, curious if anyone has used an electric cooler in it yet and if they've measured consumption- range impact.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
Also realized anything with a compressor would need more ventilation than in the subtrunk so that's out. Anyway, curious if anyone has used an electric cooler in it yet and if they've measured consumption- range impact.

Compressor driven coolers are much more efficient, use far less power, and require less ventilation than electric coolers.

They just cost five times as much and weigh a little more.

I’m not sure I’d really recommend putting either in the sub trunk with the lid fully closed, though. Maybe you could make an alternate lid with vent grills or something.

Reactions: austinY

CyberB

Nov 25, 2019
Phoenix
Ice Frunk
That area gets superhot in the South in the Summer. Not sure if it's the proximity to the HVAC unit or just Sun heating up the hood. I definitely would not put my grocery there. Great food warmer though down, especially down here in the Arizona Summer.

rxlawdude

Jul 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
That area gets superhot in the South in the Summer. Not sure if it's the proximity to the HVAC unit or just Sun heating up the hood. I definitely would not put my grocery there. Great food warmer though down, especially down here in the Arizona Summer.
Kept our 30lb cooked Thanksgiving turkey nice and warm.

Reactions: CyberB

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
What about smoking a brisket in the frunk? Do you think we could turn the frunk into a smoker? Maybe line it with aluminum foil and throw some hot coals in there?

Plastic lining.

You could absolutely make a Frunk smoker, but you’d have to work quite a bit harder, and make a metal insulated structure for it.

It’d be great for parties, though, if we ever get back to the point that having parties is a good idea.

• Funny
Reactions: db93

Zeke5

'20 MY DM LR Boost 20" EcoHitch - solar
Jul 2, 2020
SoCal
I wonder if anyone installed a drain tube for rear trunk? Probably could be done as it would be nice to just throw ice back there ...

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Subscribed.

I'm looking in this as well. So far, anything from Dometic (35L), ARB, and SnoMaster appears too large for the Y's subtrunk. No anchors for tie-downs in the trunk so there are some issues to overcome. I'm currently thinking about using the passenger foot well.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC