Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable refrigerators for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done the legwork on coolers that would fit in the sub trunk area- seems you could keep some stuff cool and still have the area available for sleeping on some overnight trips or grocery runs.
I can start digging into the Dometic site and report back, but curious if anyone had already done the legwork.

According to a youtube video I watched, an average cooler would consumer 1mi/hr of range - which I think you could improve by priming it (cooling off of AC power while home) and loading it up before departure.

Reactions: kingzorb
Has anyone done the legwork on coolers that would fit in the sub trunk area- seems you could keep some stuff cool and still have the area available for sleeping on some overnight trips or grocery runs.
I can start digging into the Dometic site and report back, but curious if anyone had already done the legwork.

According to a youtube video I watched, an average cooler would consumer 1mi/hr of range - which I think you could improve by priming it (cooling off of AC power while home) and loading it up before departure.
Or, there's always ice packs. :cool:

Reactions: Catbiscuits
Also realized anything with a compressor would need more ventilation than in the subtrunk so that's out. Anyway, curious if anyone has used an electric cooler in it yet and if they've measured consumption- range impact.

Also realized anything with a compressor would need more ventilation than in the subtrunk so that's out. Anyway, curious if anyone has used an electric cooler in it yet and if they've measured consumption- range impact.

Compressor driven coolers are much more efficient, use far less power, and require less ventilation than electric coolers.

They just cost five times as much and weigh a little more.

I’m not sure I’d really recommend putting either in the sub trunk with the lid fully closed, though. Maybe you could make an alternate lid with vent grills or something.

Reactions: austinY
What about smoking a brisket in the frunk? Do you think we could turn the frunk into a smoker? Maybe line it with aluminum foil and throw some hot coals in there?

Plastic lining.

You could absolutely make a Frunk smoker, but you’d have to work quite a bit harder, and make a metal insulated structure for it.

It’d be great for parties, though, if we ever get back to the point that having parties is a good idea.

• Funny
Reactions: db93
Subscribed.

I'm looking in this as well. So far, anything from Dometic (35L), ARB, and SnoMaster appears too large for the Y's subtrunk. No anchors for tie-downs in the trunk so there are some issues to overcome. I'm currently thinking about using the passenger foot well.

I know this thread is about refrigerators, but for anyone interested in coolers that might fit, or even if you just want the dimensions for the trunk well for finding the right fridge, this might be helpful.

I'm going to throw this info out there and see who comes up with the best fit given these two sources...

Cooler dimensions and capacity "database": Cooler Dimensions and Capacity - TheCoolerZone.com

Model Y trunk well dimensions: Tesla Model Y Interior, Trunk, Trunk Well, Frunk and Other Measurements
A : 35 cm or 13.8 inches
B: 60 cm or 23.6 inches
C: 80 cm or 31.5 inches
D: 47 cm or 18.5 inches
E: 35 cm or 13.8 inches

trunkwell_large.jpg

Reactions: chadol
Thanks! I found it here:

I will say pin in the 12v plug that you put into the car can be too strong that it pushes the plug out of the socket over time. If that happens, you can unscrew the pin, remove it--with the fuse, and trim the spring down in small sections until you get your desired results. It's good to have the "Car Fridge" App for your phone so you can check that the fridge is still on when you park and walk away or otherwise leave the fridge. And finally, if you'd like you can also easily get a 200 or 500 Watt-Hour portable battery so that you can take it away from the vehicle.

The cooler itself works great, mine came with the zip up cover which is nice to protect it since I take it camping, etc. Also, it's nice having the 12v in the trunk of the MY. Originally I had to snake the plug up to the center console in my M3. It has begun to feel like a necessity to have the cooler in the car for any time of road trip in anything but the coldest months.

This is my post from another thread: How and when does the 12v battery get charged?

I use the ICECO GO20 extensively and now consider bringing it on every outdoor outing. I thought about a Dometic but just couldn't beat the ICECO price for the amount that I thought I would use it.

Last edited:
This is my post from another thread: How and when does the 12v battery get charged?

I use the ICECO GO extensively and now consider brining it on every outdoor outing. I thought about a Dometic but just couldn't beat the ICECO price for the amount that I thought I would use it.

It looks like that is the ICECO 21QT GO20, which according to their website, holds 28 cans. They also sell a model called the ICECO 32QT JP30, which says it holds 44 cans. That one (JP30) looks like it is just about the exact dimensions of the trunk well.
Trunk well at the base is 23.6" across. The JP30 is 23" across.
Trunk well front to back is 13.8". The JP30 is 13.8" front to back.
Trunk well height is listed at 13.8", but it looks like the lid for the trunk well is actually about 2-3" taller than that, and the JP30 is 15" tall. If I'm right that the trunk well is actually between 15-16" high, then the JP30 fridge might be the best fitting fridge out there.

JP30
GO20

JP30.jpg

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
It looks like that is the ICECO 21QT GO20, which according to their website, holds 28 cans. They also sell a model called the ICECO 32QT JP30, which says it holds 44 cans. That one (JP30) looks like it is just about the exact dimensions of the trunk well.
Trunk well at the base is 23.6" across. The JP30 is 23" across.
Trunk well front to back is 13.8". The JP30 is 13.8" front to back.
Trunk well height is listed at 13.8", but it looks like the lid for the trunk well is actually about 2-3" taller than that, and the JP30 is 15" tall. If I'm right that the trunk well is actually between 15-16" high, then the JP30 fridge might be the best fitting fridge out there.

JP30
GO20

I wouldn't do that; looks too tight front to back. There's no room for the air to escape from the condenser vents, based on where they're shown on the image and the measurements showing it fits with no gap. At best it'll be seriously lacking in cooling power; at worst you'll burn out the compressor in short order.

Unless you take it out of the sub-trunk to run it, and leave it unplugged, acting like an unpowered cooler, while it's in there.