Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Positive Experiences with Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome car. Can't stand driving anything else.

Two tiny flaws - condensation in the driver's side tail-light, and the magnet fell off the charging port door. Neither flaw affected the operation of the vehicle in any significant way. The Ranger came to my office, got my key card from my receptionist, fixed the issues, came back in to return my key card and ask me if there was anything else. I live and work 1 hour from a major city and 2.5 hours from the nearest Service Centre. Never had service like that before, never driven a car like this before (other than Tesla rentals on Turo!).

Much worse was written about the S than the 3 on this forum, when I was looking to buy a S in 2013, and these vehicles were really new then. But I knew enough to know people come to forums to complain (often legit too -- but mostly one-offs) and people come to try to manipulate stock price or just to vent because shorting can be costly so raining on parades takes off a tiny bit of the pain, but the shorts are still hurting and squealing --- you just need to learn to spot it and to ignore it -- or reply by ridiculing them which is also fun.

Here's my anecdotal evidence since you asked for it. Both my S and 3 have been much better quality builds than all other vehicles I have owned, including BMWs that people seem to rave about, but in my experience are nothing but expensive money pits. My S is out of warranty (bumper to bumper anyway) but when it came time to consider to extend it before expiry so little had gone wrong, I couldn't justify buying an expensive insurance policy for such a rock solid beast. The jury is still out on the 3 regarding extending the warranty, but Tessie Jr. looks to be following nicely in Tessie Sr.'s footsteps, so it's probably out for her too.

Last edited:
Awesome car. Can't stand driving anything else.

Two tiny flaws - condensation in the driver's side tail-light, and the magnet fell off the charging port door. Neither flaw affected the operation of the vehicle in any significant way. The Ranger came to my office, got my key card from my receptionist, fixed the issues, came back in to return my key card and ask me if there was anything else. I live and work 1 hour from a major city and 2.5 hours from the nearest Service Centre. Never had service like that before, never driven a car like this before (other than Tesla rentals on Turo!).

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Much worse was written about the S than the 3 on this forum, when I was looking to buy a S in 2013, and these vehicles were really new then. But I knew enough to know people come to forums to complain (often legit too -- but mostly one-offs) and people come to try to manipulate stock price or just to vent because shorting can be costly so raining on parades takes off a tiny bit of the pain, but the shorts are still hurting and squealing --- you just need to learn to spot it and to ignore it -- or reply by ridiculing them which is also fun.

Here's my anecdotal evidence since you asked for it. Both my S and 3 have been much better quality builds than all other vehicles I have owned, including BMWs that people seem to rave about, but in my experience are nothing but expensive money pits. My S is out of warranty (bumper to bumper anyway) but when it came time to consider to extend it before expiry so little had gone wrong, I couldn't justify buying an expensive insurance policy for such a rock solid beast. The jury is still out on the 3 regarding extending the warranty, but Tessie Jr. looks to be following nicely in Tessie Sr.'s footsteps, so it's probably out for her too.

You're welcome. I should add that both my vehicles had minor gap issues that Tesla fixed (and other minor issues fixed under warranty) -- or is about to be fixed with regard to a charging port door gap on the 3. The gaps don't really bother me (and BMW wins hands down when it comes to fit and finish issues) but my wife never notices thing like that and when I pointed out the charging door gap she rolled her eyes at me since she couldn't care less but I did mention it when our glove box was being fixed by a ranger in my parking lot and he agreed and will be fixing it. I also mentioned a sunroof gap on my S just before the warranty expired, and nearly 4 years after delivery, and they replaced the entire roof with the new version. That was sure nice.

So please don't expect perfection, and complain nicely about anything that bothers you, regardless of how minor it is. Tesla will (hopefully) make it right for you like they did for me. They're a toddler now barely out of diapers so you do need to cut them some slack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zythryn
I picked up my red model 3 last month. Even though I ran to some issues during delivery with regards to build quality, this thing is different than anything I've driven before. You will love the car and wouldn't want to ever drive an ICE again.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 42
Love my Model 3, had it about 6 months.
Delivery was great, quality has been good, service has been phenomenal.

After owning my 3 a week, my wife traded in her Model X for one :)
A neighbor of ours also bought one.

All of us have been thrilled with our Model 3s.

You are far more likely to hear complaints, than people that are happy.

You're welcome. I should add that both my vehicles had minor gap issues that Tesla fixed (and other minor issues fixed under warranty) -- or is about to be fixed with regard to a charging port door gap on the 3. The gaps don't really bother me (and BMW wins hands down when it comes to fit and finish issues) but my wife never notices thing like that and when I pointed out the charging door gap she rolled her eyes at me since she couldn't care less but I did mention it when our glove box was being fixed by a ranger in my parking lot and he agreed and will be fixing it. I also mentioned a sunroof gap on my S just before the warranty expired, and nearly 4 years after delivery, and they replaced the entire roof with the new version. That was sure nice.

So please don't expect perfection, and complain nicely about anything that bothers you, regardless of how minor it is. Tesla will (hopefully) make it right for you like they did for me. They're a toddler now barely out of diapers so you do need to cut them some slack.

Thanks again. Not sure if I asked you, what color is your M3?

Yes, there is a bit of selection bias. Tesla is overextended right now and you have to stay on your toes, but overall, everything turns out fine in the end. For example:

My Model 3 came with one paint defect, but minor and not even worth fixing. Immediately after delivery the airbag light went on. Didn't even go far enough to have to turn around, just stopped and brought the delivery guys out. They took the car back in, told us it would take an hour. Then it was fine. Weird.

In the first week of owership the blinkers randomly stopped working. Also weird. Somehow fixed via software overnight with a firmware push.

I don't think I even posted about any of these issues on TMC just because they weren't worth whining over. I'm super picky, too.

And since then (7 months) it's been perfect. It's a delight to drive and we're very happy with it.

Yes, there is a bit of selection bias. Tesla is overextended right now and you have to stay on your toes, but overall, everything turns out fine in the end. For example:

My Model 3 came with one paint defect, but minor and not even worth fixing. Immediately after delivery the airbag light went on. Didn't even go far enough to have to turn around, just stopped and brought the delivery guys out. They took the car back in, told us it would take an hour. Then it was fine. Weird.

In the first week of owership the blinkers randomly stopped working. Also weird. Somehow fixed via software overnight with a firmware push.

I don't think I even posted about any of these issues on TMC just because they weren't worth whining over. I'm super picky, too.

And since then (7 months) it's been perfect. It's a delight to drive and we're very happy with it.

Thanks for the helpful reply, what color is your Model 3?

Thanks again. Not sure if I asked you, what color is your M3?

White -- and I put this on it right when I got it...

Just like I did with my dolphin grey S when it was new -- and every six months since. They both shine like glass and people can't believe my S is coming up to 5 years old. I can't rave enough about that product. Water still beads for months after you apply it. Get it for your 3 -- it's easier to apply than wax -- more expensive but well worth it.

Here's where I bought it from. I have no affiliation with the product or this company. I'm just a very pleased consumer...

22ple | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

Hi Folks,
I have a M3D Red on order and have been reading a lot of negative reports here on this forum, on numerous issues, paint defects, panel alignment, etc, etc..

I would be interested in hearing some feedback from those with positive owner experiences.

Surely there have been some?

You can't be serious ... there are a ton of +ve reports, do some work and don't expect us to spoon feed you :rolleyes:

Reactions: dhrivnak