Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible new feature: Autopilot responding to turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@strangecosmos I am of the generation that finds honor in taking someone for their word — and insult in the opposite. This may be a generational thing. I find your reasons for doubting my messages in this thread wanting.

Your knowledge/experience-base is not sufficient to assess premium car ADAS hence you doubt the simplest things and that indeed is insulting — not so much the first question but your subsequent download of an unrelated manual and making it sound like I didn’t know what I was talking about... You were out of your depth and you should have realized it.

A couple of things I have noticed that might give the false impression of turn signal awareness (although that's not to say that it doesn't exist)

1) I have noticed that AP2+ seems to be aware of on-ramps (versus just adjacent lanes) and it will seemingly slow to match speeds when it sees vehicles approaching a merge situation. I thought it was phantom braking at first but the behavior is consistent.

2) If a leading vehicle in an adjacent lane gets close to the lane lines, AP2+ will slow to maintain a gap. Since people often communicate their intent to change lanes by using a signal and crowding the lane line, folks might be making an erroneous correlation. I will say that the car in the video that started this thread does not appear to crowd the lane line but it did have an aggressive right to left movement and was on an intersecting course with the Tesla so maybe some path planning on the part of AP2 there?

Just some food for thought.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
2) If a leading vehicle in an adjacent lane gets close to the lane lines, AP2+ will slow to maintain a gap. Since people often communicate their intent to change lanes by using a signal and crowding the lane line, folks might be making an erroneous correlation. I will say that the car in the video that started this thread does not appear to crowd the lane line but it did have an aggressive right to left movement and was on an intersecting course with the Tesla so maybe some path planning on the part of AP2 there?

Yep, have noticed this behaviour since 2019.4.3 and think it depends more on the predicted path of intruders, maybe not on indicators at all. If everyone uses their blinkers it can be hard to tell.

Yep, have noticed this behaviour since 2019.4.3 and think it depends more on the predicted path of intruders, maybe not on indicators at all. If everyone uses their blinkers it can be hard to tell.

Yeah, I would also bet more on the predicted path rather than the blinkers alone. On my drive yesterday a car to my right was signaling to merge but not taking any action to cross into my lane yet, it was just barely ahead of me, and AP kept happily going at the same pace without slowing down to accommodate. On the other hand, I had a very similar situation to the original video, where I was distracted with something in traffic until my car braked and I noticed that someone was starting to edge into my lane with the blinkers on.

Though, I guess one could argue that maybe the blinker detection needs a bit of tuning to recognize blinkers of more vehicles :confused:

Reactions: OPRCE
Yeah, I would also bet more on the predicted path rather than the blinkers alone. On my drive yesterday a car to my right was signaling to merge but not taking any action to cross into my lane yet, it was just barely ahead of me, and AP kept happily going at the same pace without slowing down to accommodate. On the other hand, I had a very similar situation to the original video, where I was distracted with something in traffic until my car braked and I noticed that someone was starting to edge into my lane with the blinkers on.

Though, I guess one could argue that maybe the blinker detection needs a bit of tuning to recognize blinkers of more vehicles :confused:

I'll test it out (and not change lanes) on Teslas I see on the highway. ;)
It will make up for the constant brake checking I used to endure.

• Funny
Reactions: thewishmaster