Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By that standard, Tesla has a low opinion of their customers and views them through the lens of customers being a problem.
I'm not sure how you can infer what TM's opinion of their customers is just because they don't do something. It sounds like you think that any company that doesn't do what you want thinks poorly of you.

Then we know what part we played in Tesla's most significant event, the transition to mass production EV for the masses.
Your part was one in 400,000. No one that reserved one is special or deserves anything from TM other than a great car.

No, they did not.

They hided it, then found out that it was not hidden good enough to hinder people to find it, then hided it somewhere else where no one yet has found it. So they have never "provided" it to anyone.

True but the fact that it was there and Tesla took the effort to remove it does speak to their motives. Hiding information from paying customers and hiding the only thing the customers really purchases, a place in line. The actions are patronizing and paternalistic, treating customers as children vs. equals.

True but the fact that it was there and Tesla took the effort to remove it does speak to their motives. Hiding information from paying customers and hiding the only thing the customers really purchases, a place in line. The actions are patronizing and paternalistic, treating customers as children vs. equals.
They hid the common reservation id to curb idle speculation.
I believe they did the same with the Model X.

They hid the common reservation id to curb idle speculation.

Yet "idle speculation" about placement and delivery rules the waves so if that was the reason, it was a spectacular failure.

There's no "speculation" on the order number, each was received at logged at a specific and unique time/date. Be fun for customers to know just as it was fun for Tesla to be so excited about it.

and Tesla took the effort to remove it does speak to their motives
Yes, their motive was not to confuse their paying customers with meaningless numbers that had little to noting to do with their configuration/delivery time. And remember - this is not the "Model 3 reservation number" it is "Tesla ReservationID" witch is a unique number that probably is shared with every car reservation/sale Tesla ever has made - and as we saw is not always a simple increment number.

A good motive...

Yes, their motive was not to confuse their paying customers with meaningless numbers that had little to noting to do with their configuration/delivery time.

That explains T3 buyers obsessing over their order number in every Tesla and tech forum. it was so "meaningless" Tesla hid it in the reservations email. So meaningless clever techies were reading the email source code to find it. So meaningless that Tesla removed it from the emails. So meaningless you put the order info in your signature. So meaningless that you participate in threads titled "
Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla. Ah let me recount the ways of thy meaninglessness.

Yes, their motive was not to confuse their paying customers with meaningless numbers that had little to noting to do with their configuration/delivery time. And remember - this is not the "Model 3 reservation number" it is "Tesla ReservationID" witch is a unique number that probably is shared with every car reservation/sale Tesla ever has made - and as we saw is not always a simple increment number.

A good motive...

Yes as it's of no benefit to Tesla or the customer and very likely of negative consequence for actual planning/expectation purposes. Tesla likely won't figure out the optimum, and thus the actual production ordering (to save time and money and possibly reduce risk) until after all build features are determined and sufficient number of build orders are submitted. I noticed that in the Tesla Motors forum, at least one person was threatening to call Tesla to voice their concern over an "incorrect number". Can you imagine how many other people would waste Tesla's time with these concerns and possibly create negative press situation for the company (all due to selfish speculation)? Many people simply don't have have the discipline to understand the limited context and actual value of such an ID number and all the the blanks would be filled in with their own impressions as suggested by uninformed imagination.

That explains T3 buyers obsessing over their order number in every Tesla and tech forum. it was so "meaningless" Tesla hid it in the reservations email. So meaningless clever techies were reading the email source code to find it. So meaningless that Tesla removed it from the emails.

First: It was not in the email. The email had a link to a page - "My Tesla" - on the Tesla Motors website where there was some information about the reservation(s) and current cars you may own (if you are a current owner), and ways to update contact informations or cancel the reservation. Here the ReservationID was as a hidden field in an web-form to uniquely identify the reservation in question. And when Tesla found out that we had found it and speculated that this may be an "Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla" they removed it to avoid possible misunderstandings etc. Tesla has no way to remove anything from their emails after you have received it.

So meaningless you put the order info in your signature. So meaningless that you participate in threads titled "Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla. Ah let me recount the ways of thy meaninglessness.

Yes, was - like you and many others - curious about this number and what significance it may have. And I did still hope it had at least some value when I put it in my signature. Later at least I concluded from what was figured out in the mentioned thread what I have mediated to you here in this thread. But yes, I still have it in my signature to show I made my reservation early - just a few thousand behind the first early morning birds in Australia, long before the first reservation was made in NA. But yet I do know and accept that I will probably get my car before this Australian morning birds, and maybe after a few hundred thousands that put in their reservation long after me. And I'm OK with that :)

That explains T3 buyers obsessing over their order number in every Tesla and tech forum. it was so "meaningless" Tesla hid it in the reservations email. So meaningless clever techies were reading the email source code to find it. So meaningless that Tesla removed it from the emails. So meaningless you put the order info in your signature. So meaningless that you participate in threads titled "
Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla. Ah let me recount the ways of thy meaninglessness.
The main reason this thread has stretched out this long is one person keeps posting here incorrect assertions as to what the meaning of the reservation number is, and people keep refuting them.

Reactions: N5329K and Model 3
He is curious about the number (just like most people here), but it is meaningless in terms of when you get to configure or take delivery of your car. It is very easy to get the wrong impression about the significance of the number. It is not an issue that rises to the point where there will be significant cancellations from not releasing the number.

Chuckle but they can stop including the line number in future emails and, in this case, remove it from the individuals page on "My Tesla" which is what they did.

Tesla should show more trust in customers who showed a lot of trust in Tesla.
You are talking about "customers" as if they are a uniform body. This is far from the case. Just our argument over here is a prime example. You think it is "bad customer relations" to not release the number, while most people disagree with you. There are definitely customers that do not deserve Tesla's trust that they will not take issue with the number (we had one prime example from one thread here already of someone who clearly said they will take issue if Tesla did not adhere strictly to the number and had taken issue from previous orders).

True but the fact that it was there and Tesla took the effort to remove it does speak to their motives.
The fact that Tesla removed it from the page means nothing. Since there was never any confirmation from TM that it meant anything there can't be any definitive reason that they removed it either.

Hiding information from paying customers and hiding the only thing the customers really purchases, a place in line. The actions are patronizing and paternalistic, treating customers as children vs. equals.
No, you didn't purchase a place in line, you didn't purchase anything. All any of us did is reserve the opportunity, when TM lets us, to convert out reservation into an order. The only line right now is based on the date you reserved, so there is no point in knowing a number anyway.

That explains T3 buyers obsessing over their order number in every Tesla and tech forum.
The only obsessing I see, aside from you thinking that TM has somehow insulted us, is people wondering when they'll get their vehicle. Which, when all is said and done, is only going to be loosely based on when exactly you reserved.

He is curious about the number (just like most people here), but it is meaningless in terms of when you get to configure or take delivery of your car.

Everybody knows the caveats that apply to one's position in the line up based on time/date of order. Those caveats won't even apply until production starts.

What Tesla can and should share with its customers is what their position is in the line. As we see from all the message here, including this thread, and on other Tesla forums and in the trade media, auto and tech, it is something everyone is talking about.

As we see from all the message here, including this thread, and on other Tesla forums and in the trade media, auto and tech, it is something everyone is talking about.
All of the talk in this thread is you saying that they should tell us and everyone else telling you that you're wrong. You seem to be the only one that has choosen to interpret that as "everyone is talking about" it.

It meant something to Tesla. It meant something to all the T3 buyers who wanted to know where they were in the line.
No, no it didn't. It couldn't have meant anything to them since no one knew for sure that it was any indication of their place in line. Many people assumed it did since there seemed to be some correlation, but it was never confirmed by Tesla. There were also enough outliers that, had they actually confirmed that it was your place in line they would have been inundated with phone calls, emails, letters, and forum posts about how it was all wrong.