Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to postpone delivery until I see / test drive the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same boat here - I received a "prepare for delivery" but we are waiting until the fall since we are moving from Seattle to Denver.
I assume I should just ignore the emails and wait to initiate delivery when we are ready.
That’s my plan. I ignored the prepare for delivery email. I love my 3 but if the Y is amazing I might be inclined to trade it in, but until I get to sit in/drive one I won’t pull the trigger.

In light of Tesla’s Roadrunner project to create a lighter, more energy dense battery cell, waiting until later in the year may be a better strategy if range is important to you. The Battery and Drivetrain Day is tentatively scheduled for April. We’ll know more then.

In light of Tesla’s Roadrunner project to create a lighter, more energy dense battery cell, waiting until later in the year may be a better strategy if range is important to you. The Battery and Drivetrain Day is tentatively scheduled for April. We’ll know more then.
It will probably be well over a year before they have any volumes and we don't even know which vehicles they will start with. Could be cybertruck, roadster, and plaid mode vehicles.

And that's fine, if Tesla can't do what I want then I will order something else.

Tesla need to remember that I am the customer and the "customer wants what the customer wants". They will find theirself self at a competitive disadvantage if they continue to offer very few colors, limited options and continue with the poor communication. A friend of mine just bought an Audi etron, and yes I know the range is not up to the Tesla, it is however a very very nice EV, it looks great and with a range that's more the adequate for his needs.
If you want chrome, go for the e-tron, assuming it meets your price point.

The "customer wants what he wants" is apsofuckinglutely hilarious. To get a great BEV, you're going to get to choose from what's offered for quite a long time. No matter how important you think you are.

What would be the pull factor of the Y over the 3?

I’m partial to the wagon form factor. The 3 trunk is large and the back seat area is nice it’s the tiny hole between the two that limits the functionality.
A slightly higher ride height and seating position without giving up a lot of performance is also appealing.

We'll see after I have a chance to sit in it and drive it. At this point I see to just like loaning Elon money I had a day1 3 reservation and didn’t pull the trigger until December of 2018.

As a quick follow up, I got an e-mail and text (then call) about filling in the forms. It mentioned my VIN wasn't ready yet. I responded to the text that I'd like to postpone until a test drive. They replied back to specify what month I want to push it back to. So, it looks like I'm set for a while.

Chances are, I'll just keep my Model 3...until I can put it to work as a robotaxi to pay for the Model Y. Hey, it could happen.

Is FSD $6 or 7K?
How much was FSD for Day 1 reservation holders?
I believe it was $5000 first day, which was when I originally put down a deposit. After my wife got her Niro-EV in August, the Y turned into my possible Model 3 replacement, and I reconfigured to a Performance, at which point FSD was $6000. Maybe I should have called to see if I could keep the original FSD price.

I believe it was $5000 first day, which was when I originally put down a deposit. After my wife got her Niro-EV in August, the Y turned into my possible Model 3 replacement, and I reconfigured to a Performance, at which point FSD was $6000. Maybe I should have called to see if I could keep the original FSD price.

Hmm, it's showing $7k for me.
I was a Day 1 Performance order!
I'll raise those issues at delivery time.