Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post A Picture Of Your Car Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 50' NEMA 14-50 (50 amp) extension cord. It's a beast! I also made up a 14-30 plug to 14-50 receptacle adapter to use if I even need to go the dryer plug route.

Don't forget the 10-30 and 10-50 plug adapters. I have had to use both in the wild. Just label them for EV Charging only! I made sure that ground was connected to neutral in the 14-50R side of the adapter, just in case.

Road trip through Denmark

I got my Model S on September 30th in Oslo. The next day (!) the whole family went on a road trip through Denmark from north to south. Ferry from Larvik, Norway to Hirtshals, Denmark. Anja and I got to test the new car on the motorway, while the kids got to see the original Legoland in Billund, and a drive-in zoo with lions all around the car. And then ferry back from Kiel, Germany to Oslo.

Picture is from a charge stop at the 22kW charger at a large shopping centre in Kolding, Denmark. Family friendly steakhouse right inside.

kolding.jpg

Lessons learned on my first EV road trip:
- don't be a afraid to range charge if you have a long leg in front of you
- never trust a hotel when they say there's an EV charging station outside the hotel
- always have a plan B, C and D for charging
- Danish electrical outlets are different from those of their neighbouring countries
- charging without proper grounding should be avoided
- security guards don't like you mucking with the 10kW industrial outlets in the ceiling of their parking garage without prior approval
- iPhone apps with maps of chargers will fail when you need them to work the most
- Tesla will not make a J1772 adapter for the European version of Model S
- A 32A type2-type2 cable is essential for a European Model S road trip

Sucked down 10 rated miles from the slow charger at Longwood Gardens today since I only got it for 45 minutes due to a Volt taking up a spot before heading down to the Newark SuperCharger to fill up for the way home.

Saw a white MS at Longwood Gardens with DE plates "Silence" and a UD parking tag. Lots of gawkers since the chargers are right near the exit so everyone passes by. Usually it is a Volt charging so I am sure Teslas are a treat :)

Saw a black P85 with NJ plates before I left the SuperCharger. The driver was a younger woman with an older passenger.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383452921.352702.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383452921.352702.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 615
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383452933.754154.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383452933.754154.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 643
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383452944.627383.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383452944.627383.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 609
Decided to try out the Liberty Place Parkway garage which is right under Liberty Place and quite convenient for Westin if you are staying there. Parking fee was a couple of bucks more expensive than others around at $15 5pm-5am but charging was free and spaces are properly signed with threat to tow. Two Blink chargers free if you have membership (which you should). Sort of on the slow side with only 24A or 15mi/hr. Spots are also pretty tight for Tesla-sized vehicles especially if another is parked in other spot. I had to make a real use of my parking sensors to get really close and then go some more to be sure the Volt owner wouldn't clip me going out.

u7u7egy9.jpg
8ydunu7a.jpg

Last edited:
@SamGarber

OK, is this on the 2nd floor of the garage (you can only get there from the 3rd floor?)...
Spent an hour+ trying to charge there a few months ago...multiple calls to Blink (up the elevator and back down).
Got to be the hottest basement garage on the planet.
Never got a single electron...

Transit center in Durango. 32-Amp, ChargePoint, J1772. Even though the charging is free, you have to have a ChargePoint card or account... :eek: A couple of block walk to Main Street, Durango.

OTOH, the nice thing about ChargePoint is that you get a text message when the car is disconnected.

Look at the parking sign. Fuel Efficient Vehicle seems to be a term subject to a lot of interpretation...

208 Volt charging seems such a waste. For a 32 Amp charger, a boost transformer to 240 Volts is only $250, and would put the electrons in 13% faster.... 20 mph charging is sloooow. Buck/Boost Transformer Prices - Transformer Online

Durango Charge.JPG

ChargePoint Message.JPG

Agreed - garage was almost 90 degrees when it was almost freezing out tonight.

I had to drive around for a bit to find it, you do have to go down to three before going up to two to find the chargers. Kind of a pain. But easy to plug in and get juice since I have a Blink account and card. I could have also used my phone to scan the barcode on the charger to start the charging instead of the card. Just set yourself up an account and don't worry about calling customer service!

OK, is this on the 2nd floor of the garage (you can only get there from the 3rd floor?)...
Spent an hour+ trying to charge there a few months ago...multiple calls to Blink (up the elevator and back down).
Got to be the hottest basement garage on the planet.
Never got a single electron...

I have the app now, they never suggested it then.
I applied for the card before my last trip and it still hasn't arrived.
That's what bankruptcy means I guess.

The charger I used at UPenn was a Blink charger and the app worked there...

Some folks might recognize the venue, but most probably won't. ;)

I don't, but it's a cool shot!

- - - Updated - - -

Here I am at a quaint country inn where my company had a business strategy session. All they had was a 120v outlet, but since I was there overnight and the next day, it did manage to top off. You can see the UMC and plug next to the door on the shed:

IMG_1530.JPG