Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Battery Day - Future of Tesla X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I had my hope too high but what do you guys think about future of tmx at this point?

Based on the numbers and it's decline in sales do you think the possibility of moving away and stop manufacturing it?

Car is too expensive and overengineered?

I was really hoping to see tmx with new battery from road runner. And what happened with palladium?

Thoughts on that topic?

Last edited:
Based on the numbers and it's decline in sales do you think the possibility of moving away and stop manufacturing it?
Zero chance of that in my opinion. The production line is in place and running smoothly. For now, the X has zero competition in it’s market segment; it defines the market segment.

With the introduction of the Model Y it was predictable that X sales would decline somewhat in the same way that the introduction of the 3 resulted in S sales declining; people who formerly would stretch to buy an S/X because there was simply no alternative would decide that the 3/Y met there needs for much less money. That doesn’t mean the S/X will be discontinued.

[QUOTE="dk74, post: I was really hoping to see tmx with new battery from road runner. And what happened with palladium?[/QUOTE]You can hope for Tesla to announce things you want, but that has no effect on Tesla’s plans or what they do announce.

At some point it seems very likely that the S/X will get the new 4680 cell and that the interior will be redesigned. But there is no way o accurately predict when that will occur.

Reactions: KerryOH
Imagine that Model X will just continue to get continous improvements, and perhaps a version of the Plaid sometime after the Plaid Model S is released. Newer batteries seem to be targeted for the Semi, New Coupe and CyberTruck.

Tesla has a lot of their plate right now and even a significant refresh of the X probably would not result in many more sales. Not sure why they would allocate a lot of $$$ and engineering time to change it a lot.

Imagine that Model X will just continue to get continous improvements, and perhaps a version of the Plaid sometime after the Plaid Model S
I’m not expecting a Plaid X, as the X chassis differs from the S due to the FW doors and it would require additional engineering above and beyond what has been done on the S to make a Plaid drivetrain work in an X. I don’t think that would be a wise investment in resources for Tesla.

Reactions: rjdoc74 and nobznss
X will still evolve, but the odds are it will be remade fully on top of the CT chassis eventually. Much better fit than the plaid S race toy.

No chassis in Cyberytruck. Exoskeleton, which structurally would be cool for a Model X. Add more rigidity. However, it would change the looks dramatically since the steel must be in simple shapes and curves.

Reactions: Superendo
There will be a refresh of S & X at some point.

While S & X are a shrinking % of overall sales, they are important luxury products for Tesla.

But... They are relatively expensive to manufacture. If Tesla does make changes to S & X, it would likely include simplification of the manufacturing, and moving to a single production line for S and X. Perhaps Tesla will refresh S & X when they're ready to shift to the new stamping technology - which integrates the battery pack into the frame - and modify the S & X design so they share enough components that they can be built on the same line. And then prove the new manufacturing out first on the lower volume S/X models before shifting to the higher 3/Y/2 models.

Or, Tesla could be waiting until FSD is close - and then introduce changes to S & X that lower emphasis on the driver and focus more on entertaining all of the passengers...

While it may be disappointing we didn't see anything out of Battery Day that will impact near term S & X - but that doesn't mean we won't see some major changes to S & X before Plaid is ready...

I have no predictions but I have been hoping that they would announce an affordable 3 row mid size suv or redesigned X that was cheaper to manufacture. (The Y is way too small even if they do add a 3rd row)

My wife wants a 3 row mid size SUV and I don’t think I can’t get her to delay much longer, but the current X is just too expensive to justify. Her car of choice is a loaded Telluride for $47k and it’s a beautiful and “luxurious” vehicle. I keep hoping that there will be an EV option similar to a Telluride type vehicle so that we don’t have to buy an ICE vehicle. Even if it was $5k-10k more I would be all over it. However, the X is about $40k more.

I have no predictions but I have been hoping that they would announce an affordable 3 row mid size suv or redesigned X that was cheaper to manufacture. (The Y is way too small even if they do add a 3rd row)

My wife wants a 3 row mid size SUV and I don’t think I can’t get her to delay much longer, but the current X is just too expensive to justify. Her car of choice is a loaded Telluride for $47k and it’s a beautiful and “luxurious” vehicle. I keep hoping that there will be an EV option similar to a Telluride type vehicle so that we don’t have to buy an ICE vehicle. Even if it was $5k-10k more I would be all over it. However, the X is about $40k more.

it is possible to get a used model X with a 4-year warranty from Tesla for not much different than your price point. Is that even an option for you?

Reactions: Olle and X-pilot
probably not. Can’t imagine there would be much of a used market around me for an X. Either way, not sure I would want to risk dealing with a bunch of issues with a used X.

I'm hardly unbiased. My model S has over 220,000 mi on it, and not that many problems. We've put all but 38,000 of those miles on, so I know all the service on it. I really do think you can trust Tesla vehicles a lot further than you can ice vehicles. And operating at a much lower cost.

I'm hardly unbiased. My model S has over 220,000 mi on it, and not that many problems. We've put all but 38,000 of those miles on, so I know all the service on it. I really do think you can trust Tesla vehicles a lot further than you can ice vehicles. And operating at a much lower cost.
Thanks for the reply. I will look into used Xs. Any idea where to find them? I have never seen one in my area before so I am assuming they would be tough to find.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into used Xs. Any idea where to find them? I have never seen one in my area before so I am assuming they would be tough to find.

If you go to the third party site ev-cpo.com, they show you all the vehicles Tesla has for sale, new and used, in inventory. Should be a good amount of used ones right now what with the end of quarter push that just happened. I'm pretty sure there's another site that tries to put together all of the used info from tesla. EV - CPO just happens to be the one that I am familiar with.