Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post-Delivery Alignment Check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a lot of FB and reddit posts about Y's with 10k miles (for example) with tires that need to be replaced due to poor factory alignment with tread completely gone on inside or outside edges. I realize there could be a lot of other factors influencing wear & alignment (rotation frequency, road conditions such as potholes, etc.), however i've just seen, what seems to be, an inordinate amount of these types of posts and has me concerned about factory alignment. I was wondering if anyone has taken their Y directly to get alignment checked after delivery. I get this might be seen as a driving dynamics questions, but IMO, it's really a delivery/post-delivery question considering how many posts I've seen on this issue.

Tesla charges a lot for alignment. If you have a 3rd party that can do alignment on Tesla it would hurt to have it checked. It isn't necessary in most cases. There have been some folks who have had their alignment be significantly off.

I had our MYLR alignment done after we had an Ohlins suspension upgrade installed. The difference driving down the highway was pretty remarkable. The owner of the shop that did the work used to work for Tesla. His comment that stuck with me was that Tesla’s alignment from the factory was generally “close enough”.

Reactions: jombolo
Tesla charges a lot for alignment. If you have a 3rd party that can do alignment on Tesla it would hurt to have it checked. It isn't necessary in most cases. There have been some folks who have had their alignment be significantly off.
100% aware of Tesla's prices. I've had my 3 aligned at a local shop twice and both times combined cost less than 1 time with Tesla.

Reactions: 240vPlug
I had our MYLR alignment done after we had an Ohlins suspension upgrade installed. The difference driving down the highway was pretty remarkable. The owner of the shop that did the work used to work for Tesla. His comment that stuck with me was that Tesla’s alignment from the factory was generally “close enough”.
Geez, is Tesla just eyeballing it?

I accepted delivery of my JUNE 22 built MYP. As I pulled away from the SC and continued home I noticed having my steering wheel positioned straight my car would track left. Immediately put a ticket in on the app and had it fixed the next morning. It was covered since the car was new but I believe the 4 wheel alignment cost was in the $300 range.

I accepted delivery of my JUNE 22 built MYP. As I pulled away from the SC and continued home I noticed having my steering wheel positioned straight my car would track left. Immediately put a ticket in on the app and had it fixed the next morning. It was covered since the car was new but I believe the 4 wheel alignment cost was in the $300 range.
Yeah, the price seems to vary from SC to SC, but its around that. Local shop is about $120 for me.

I was charged $280 but got a refund after they lost my hepa filter, left my frunk held in by one bolt, and left all their tools in there as well. 🙄

I had to take it to another SC to have a new HEPA filter housing/filter ordered and installed.

Took my MYLR to SC for minor service and they found 2 of my rears tires got off a bit, I ask them to do the alignment and thought it was free but then charge me for $275. The car is brand new only 1000 miles, can't believe I have to pay for that misalignment from factory. It's suppose to free right? must be something wrong at factory and it's not our fault.

Took my MYLR to SC for minor service and they found 2 of my rears tires got off a bit, I ask them to do the alignment and thought it was free but then charge me for $275. The car is brand new only 1000 miles, can't believe I have to pay for that misalignment from factory. It's suppose to free right? must be something wrong at factory and it's not our fault.
Yeah, that is really unfortunate. I understand why they can’t warranty it, same reason they don’t warranty a tire when you get a nail. But there are too many examples of poor alignment on low mileage new vehicles. I’m going to take mine shortly after delivery to get checked from an independent shop that I trust

I've seen a lot of FB and reddit posts about Y's with 10k miles (for example) with tires that need to be replaced due to poor factory alignment with tread completely gone on inside or outside edges. I realize there could be a lot of other factors influencing wear & alignment (rotation frequency, road conditions such as potholes, etc.), however i've just seen, what seems to be, an inordinate amount of these types of posts and has me concerned about factory alignment. I was wondering if anyone has taken their Y directly to get alignment checked after delivery. I get this might be seen as a driving dynamics questions, but IMO, it's really a delivery/post-delivery question considering how many posts I've seen on this issue.
My performance alignment guys tells me that many cars, especially Teslas come for the factory with alignment problems. They do just enough to get them out the door. Teslas are looked upon as a high performance automobile (rightfully so I think). Even though I had no uneven wear, I noticed my wheel was slightly off center. I took my Model Y to a performance race car shop. These shops service the needs of track and street, factory race cars. The alignment was perfect; perfectly centered wheel and NO pull right or left. Much better than factory setting. I paid $265.00. Take a look in your area and make sure the shop aligns high performance race cars. You with be blown away driving your Tesla with a precision alignment.