Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are NO abrasives in the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. http://www.wired.com/2015/09/whats-inside-mr-clean-magic-eraser/

I don't know, this excerpt from the Wired article sounds like abrasive to me:

Melamine
On its own, melamine is just an organic base in the form of white crystals. But when combined with other compounds, it can transform into a plush foam—the Magic Eraser—with a sandpaper-like microscopic texture. You can use it to scrub off sticky dirt and scum from all kinds of surfaces; just avoid using it on delicate or glossy exteriors.

I lightly wiped the damp Magic Eraser across the leather then rinse the eraser in running warm water to remove the dirt in the eraser. Squeezed all the water out of the eraser before beginning again and continued until the dirt is removed. Used a clean damp cloth to rinse and then another dry towel to dry the leather.

While detailers use these as well, it was only used on my Model X because the seats looked like they had been used for a year. The Service Center saw them in the dirty condition with all the crease marks and remarked that they looked used as well. Since there are so many other things that are being done to the vehicle, I only want things replaced that are defective. It was my detailer who said that dye transfer and creases are normal with this type of leather, no replacement needed. I just wanted to remove the dirt that occurred from the time the vehicle was built until ready to be shipped. My DS did say it had plastic wrap, but IMHO, there was no way the seats would be that dirty in one day at the Service Center!

The Magic Eraser had to be rinsed three times for the seat bottom. That is about as much as three years of my Model S seat back, since I use a towel on the seat bottom. One more thing... there was no blue color on the Magic Eraser, looked like gray or black color. I post this to assist others who may have a similar experience. My vehicle was completed in November, and it was in the first 30 vehicles. Maybe some of the employees were allowed to sit in it? That would be an honor.

I look forward to not using the Magic Eraser on that seat bottom for many months. I want the seat to look new, and protection rather than cleaning will help.

I just noticed this thread and I'm on the side that finds it helpful, both in terms of awareness upon delivery as well as not feeling so much like I drew the short straw. In response to the title my issues so far; mirror problem, glove box won't open, 2nd row seat post inoperable, 2 glass panels on the roof bowed, one falcon door won't close properly, other falcon door won't open properly. I believe these are all related to pushing inspections to the service centers near year end and I'm hopeful that policy will be reconsidered.

I just noticed this thread and I'm on the side that finds it helpful, both in terms of awareness upon delivery as well as not feeling so much like I drew the short straw. In response to the title my issues so far; mirror problem, glove box won't open, 2nd row seat post inoperable, 2 glass panels on the roof bowed, one falcon door won't close properly, other falcon door won't open properly. I believe these are all related to pushing inspections to the service centers near year end and I'm hopeful that policy will be reconsidered.

As I recall from another thread you haven't taken delivery yet, so your problems don't actually fall in the category asked for in this thread.

Peter+

As I recall from another thread you haven't taken delivery yet, so your problems don't actually fall in the category asked for in this thread.

Peter+

I disagree. It meets the spirit, imho. Do we really need a thread titled "issues that delayed your delivery for two weeks or more?"

I'd rather change the title of this thread to be more general then to nitpick this one.

The frustration that everyone is having with this is partially answered when you remember that Tesla Motors is not a dealership company. Since all the service centers are company owned and those service technicians are actually receive additional training on the assembly line (my DS said that). So in every service center you have individuals that know how these cars are assembled at the factory and have experienced it.

Because no dealers are involved, the service centers are the factory extension of delivery. The only problem I see with that are the longer lines for service for everyone at the present time. However, on the brighter side, the local service centers get to solve Model X problems and that helps with future repairs. The other benefit occurs as the factory learning curve improves, the quality goes up. There will be fewer and fewer problems and less repairs. That will improve service and we can get back to normal.

Anyway, the above is my opinion as I see it and i look forward to reading what others may think about this new way of making vehicles.

Thnaks for the feedback. This will help when I pick up mine. The bowed glass panels are things that I would not have thought to look at.

The frustration that everyone is having with this is partially answered when you remember that Tesla Motors is not a dealership company. Since all the service centers are company owned and those service technicians are actually receive additional training on the assembly line (my DS said that). So in every service center you have individuals that know how these cars are assembled at the factory and have experienced it.

Because no dealers are involved, the service centers are the factory extension of delivery. The only problem I see with that are the longer lines for service for everyone at the present time. However, on the brighter side, the local service centers get to solve Model X problems and that helps with future repairs. The other benefit occurs as the factory learning curve improves, the quality goes up. There will be fewer and fewer problems and less repairs. That will improve service and we can get back to normal.

Anyway, the above is my opinion as I see it and i look forward to reading what others may think about this new way of making vehicles.

As frustrating as my wait has been over the last 2 weeks I do agree with your viewpoint Mark. Regional Service Centers indeed appear to be evolving as extensions of the factory, at least in this phase of a new model's production ramp. This seems to be a natural progression of Tesla's manufacturing/delivery model evolved to satisfy specific financial/production/market-perception goals. This is somewhat masked with factory delivery/pickup as the SC is co-located with the factory. The frustration on the surface from a customer point of view is that they are literally making it up as they go! This is a necessary evil of the modern-day agile development process. As the process matures, guided and corrected by realtime data and difficult decision making of really bright individuals, the kinks will be worked out and communications should improve.

My X has been in "final prep" for 2 long and painful weeks now with no firm delivery date provided to date. There is definitely a punch list of items that the SC Techs are working though and the DSs are struggling to get an understanding of the timeline to completion/delivery in order to satisfy frustrating customer's inquiries - not an easy task! The DS is at the mercy of this process which in most cases is fluid and unique to each car, especially this early in a new production ramp, so they are just as blind/ignorant to it as most customers; hence the frustration!

As frustrating as my wait has been over the last 2 weeks I do agree with your viewpoint Mark. Regional Service Centers indeed appear to be evolving as extensions of the factory, at least in this phase of a new model's production ramp. This seems to be a natural progression of Tesla's manufacturing/delivery model evolved to satisfy specific financial/production/market-perception goals. This is somewhat masked with factory delivery/pickup as the SC is co-located with the factory. The frustration on the surface from a customer point of view is that they are literally making it up as they go! This is a necessary evil of the modern-day agile development process. As the process matures, guided and corrected by realtime data and difficult decision making of really bright individuals, the kinks will be worked out and communications should improve.

My X has been in "final prep" for 2 long and painful weeks now with no firm delivery date provided to date. There is definitely a punch list of items that the SC Techs are working though and the DSs are struggling to get an understanding of the timeline to completion/delivery in order to satisfy frustrating customer's inquiries - not an easy task! The DS is at the mercy of this process which in most cases is fluid and unique to each car, especially this early in a new production ramp, so they are just as blind/ignorant to it as most customers; hence the frustration!

I can understand your frustration. I think this is another reason why local SCs have been trying to keep the Model Xs in prep from being photographed and VIN numbers posted. It's frustrating to be waiting for a car but likely more frustrating knowing it's nearby at the SC - and that puts additional pressure on the local service staff.

To Mark's point about extensions of the factory, I spoke to a local SC service tech yesterday who had not only trained at the factory but had first-hand exposure to the hydraulic and pneumatic falcon wing door prototypes before Tesla went with electric motor driven, like the tailgates.

...As many know, I've qualified for a discounted Founders, fully loaded, through the referral program. I was also made an offer that would have been impossible to refuse in any case (meaning, even if I wasn't getting a Founders) from someone who wanted an early Sig X and could afford to twist my arm hard. Between the premium I'll be receiving and the discount, I've made out like a bandit (stevezzz has graciously pointed out 'you SUCK' over learning the details - old friends who keep you grounded are priceless.) Hard not to grin like a fool when I think about it. :)

As sad as I am to let it go, it is now parked and waiting for final paperwork before making its way to the new owner. Beautiful vehicle and I'm very very sad to see it go. I was lucky enough to have it in my possession for a few weeks and I'm grateful to the new owner for allowing me to lightly drive it. Can't wait for the permanent addition to my household now.

Well, now, wait just a minute there, Bonnie. I do not recall using those exact words...though the sentiment is pretty accurate. :wink::biggrin:

I should not complain, given that my Tesla ownership experience started with Colorado's monstrous, if short-lived, alternative fuel income tax credit on my Roadster, followed by Tesla's own "early R owners' early-adopter credit" on the purchase of my Sig S. I shouldn't complain, but my Sig X isn't here yet and I'm feeling whiny...

Last edited:
Well, now, wait just a minute there, Bonnie. I do not recall using those exact words...though the sentiment is pretty accurate. :wink:
:biggrin:

I should not complain, given that my Tesla ownership experience started with Colorado's monstrous, if short-lived, alternative fuel income tax credit on my Roadster, followed by Tesla's own "early R owners' early-adopter credit" on the purchase of my Sig S. I shouldn't complain, but my Sig X isn't here yet and I'm feeling whiny...

You did. But I kind of forced the words into your mouth on that phone call, iirc. Kind of a 'at some point you'll say' thing. And pretty soon your X will be there and you'll feel better. It will be okay. I promise.

SC extension of factory?

Not sure I see this as a benefit right now. Maybe if you're SC is in Ca. no big deal to get needed parts but for rest of us not so much. Wouldn't in make more sense to keep cars at factory to solve more issues rather than shipping and relying on SC's to independently figure out solutions to what are manufacturing issues? I'm sure there are good communications between SC's, service bulletins, etc. but still still seems like unfair burden since the SC's still have to deal with the day to day issues that come up after the car has been used for a while. imo

Not sure I see this as a benefit right now. Maybe if you're SC is in Ca. no big deal to get needed parts but for rest of us not so much. Wouldn't in make more sense to keep cars at factory to solve more issues rather than shipping and relying on SC's to independently figure out solutions to what are manufacturing issues? I'm sure there are good communications between SC's, service bulletins, etc. but still still seems like unfair burden since the SC's still have to deal with the day to day issues that come up after the car has been used for a while. imo
If its body count dependent and you have the trained people in the field, it makes sense to distribute it. IE if they only had 6 people at the factory available to do this work but hundreds in the field, and most of the repair work was not parts related, then distributing it makes sense to me.

Not sure I see this as a benefit right now...
It is a benefit for the factory. They can keep their production numbers up and not slow down.

I don't consider it a benefit to the customer who expects a near perfect vehicle as it arrives for delivery. My Model X was manufactured in November, so it sat there a month and could have been worked on for the few items they may have noticed.

On the other hand, it is a major benefit to know that the Service Center will be able to work on the IMHO, 13 major and 13 minor needs plus documenting the 6 issues that were/are solved through 3rd party work to get a better result than Tesla can offer at this time.

Last edited:
love your edit

It is a benefit for the factory. They can keep their production numbers up and not slow down.

I don't consider it a benefit to the customer who expects a near perfect vehicle as it arrives for delivery. My Model X was manufactured in November, so it sat there a month and could have been worked on for the few items they may have noticed.

On the other hand, it is a major benefit to know that the Service Center will be able to work on the IMHO, 13 major and 13 minor needs plus documenting the 6 issues that were/are solved through 3rd party work to get a better result than Tesla can offer at this time.

Man you are a patient guy. I hope Tesla knows how lucky they are to have you as a customer :smile:

Man you are a patient guy. I hope Tesla knows how lucky they are to have you as a customer :smile:
I appreciate the comment. The SC is probably wondering, what happened to that X?

They will get it soon enough. Wait until they see the photos of each location that needs work. The documentation and descriptions help everyone at the SC understand what is occurring and what needs to be done. Since the floor panel is warped, distant photos of the seat mechanism were easy to take. With one good side, it is easy to see what is wrong on the other side. No guess work at all, except to wonder how the carpeted panel slipped out of the side slot and traveled beyond the stop block (my terms, not theirs). There is no reason for me to post those photos, unless it ever becomes an epidemic.

Last edited:
@Mark Z "there was no blue color on the Magic Eraser, looked like gray or black color. I post this to assist others who may have a similar experience. My vehicle was completed in November, and it was in the first 30 vehicles."

After taking delivery of my X I saw a couple places (molding near fwd hinge and fwd "threshold" metal piece on the floor) that had a blue liquid discoloration. After thinking about it, I suspect it may be dried pneumatic fluid...From the pattern on the items, I suspect during the assembly, there was some leak and or spray of the fluid in the pneumatic system that was repaired during assembly. This is complete speculation and when I brought it to the attention of my DS...he said he would look into correcting the issue. I really appreciate the responsiveness of Tesla to make sure everything is perfect... I also noticed that unlike early deliveries, the carpet between the 2 seats in my 6 seat configuration was a single complete piece vs the dual piece (to accommodate a middle seat) that I saw in earlier post...continuous improvement...