Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Useless with the small sampling not to mention a lot of user learning curve is still going on. FDA would never make a decision with a new drug that has been tested on only 5 people with procedures not following the correct protocol. All you're going to get is noise but unfortunately many who do not have a scientific background would interpret the noise whatever way they want to. Let's wait for a few months with at least a few thousand cars that have collected many miles instead of trying to find a problem that does not exist (yet).

It hurts my brain to think that the solution to fuddy people is to not speak amongst ourselves....... Life gets rather limiting if you take that to its extremes.
mine too. There will always be critics and even people who present any event in a false light or even tell outright lies. Anybody who's ever watched politicians speak should know about that. Why should an enthusiast forum be different? That goes double when the subject relates to a public company with substantial short interest.

We should be prepared to describe the object of our affection warts and all. If our cars are as good as we claim they are they can withstand criticism. I do not have an X but I do know my S is not perfect, even though it is better than any other car I know. Should not the X be allowing a little bit of "teething pain"? Please, name any product ever that has not had such.

Do you have a source on this? Over half of the Model 3 target market? If that's the case, I must live in another universe. I've never met a single person who mentioned EV fires when we discuss the benefits of an EV. And you can probably tell by my participation here, I talk a lot about EVs.

Scientific surveys conducted with people regarding their acceptance of EVs and the possibility of them buying one, even hypothetical ones like the Model 3.

It's a proven fact that Tesla will make any and every imperfection proper and corrected again. There's no reason they're going to suddenly stop this with the Model X. If your concern about the MX is that it will need some initial post-factory corrections, you may as well cancel now and buy a tried-and-true Toyota SUV. I fully expect my Model 3 to have issues and I don't care in the slightest.

This thread, this early on, only provides fodder for TSLA shorts and those who would seek to destroy or undo the company that is Tesla.

People are welcome to post what they feel as owners. Still waiting to hear a delivery story of someone regretting their X, and I don't think we'll hear one for a very, very long time.

You know there will be some guy in China who will take a bat or ax to his spanking new Model X for some perceived slight. And someone will video it and get a million views on YouTube.

Just a quick comment to mention that my original post is now locked from edits, so updates will not appear there. Everything is on schedule for anything that needs work. Because of more concern to get protective wrap on the paint (declared yesterday to be of higher quality than what is normal) and nano protection on the windshield, updates will not appear on a daily basis. Do not make assumptions, the vehicle is NOT at Tesla being worked on but rather being driven, enjoyed, and soon to be detailed with a small fraction of to-do items.

ALL doors are working flawlessly. The precision fit of the rubber seals is amazing and tolerances are tight. I checked interior fit and finish and all those extremely unique custom parts have no alignment gaps but rather fit precisely. In short, the car is perfect except for that small list of work to be done.

For those who may be upset at my frankness, I do apologize. But my goal is for future manufacturing improvements and sharing the experience so other Model X owners will enjoy their delivery and vehicle knowing that Tesla Motors is doing their best at all levels to ensure your satisfaction, over time. The owners have waited a long time. The wait was worth it. Model X is "The Drive Into The Future". Please remember one thing, the Model X being delivered for display at the Tesla Store near you will get a heavy workout as everyone falls in love with the features. Those newer vehicles are the ones to examine and admire. Just as Model S got better over time with software and new part versions, the same legacy will continue with every Model X made. I look forward to the amazing reports we will share throughout 2016. Enjoy Model X!

Last edited:
[/I]Scientific surveys conducted with people regarding their acceptance of EVs and the possibility of them buying one, even hypothetical ones like the Model 3.

That's a sentence. Do you have the sources for those? I did find a 4 year old CR study shortly after Volt fire publicity which has 35% of respondents reporting concern with after-crash fires and 42% reporting fire risk during charging. However, I am unsure what these percentages represent. I cannot find the questionnaire, so I don't know how the questions were phrased. 39% have issue with crash protection, for instance. Is this something like "if you have concerns with electric vehicles, please tell us which ones?" I have looked for the actual results but can only find the summaries that CR provides.

Any other actual sources you can provide would be interesting. I continue to feel pretty confident that you are overstating your concern, but I'd definitely like to get more evidence for or against my position.

For the life of me I can not understand these shiny black seat backs. What was wrong with the mat pebble finish seat backs on the MS? Hopefully they change this soon or I guess I will have to have the seat backs wrapped.

As a father of little boys, those shiny black seat backs are families with small children. My kids have a tendency to want to kick their legs around, and the other end of their short little legs is the back of someone's seat. Depending on whether I have cloth or leather seats, the seat back is either scuffed or stained. Hard plastic or metal is much easier to maintain.

As a father of little boys, those shiny black seat backs are families with small children. My kids have a tendency to want to kick their legs around, and the other end of their short little legs is the back of someone's seat. Depending on whether I have cloth or leather seats, the seat back is either scuffed or stained. Hard plastic or metal is much easier to maintain.
For those who want ease of maintenance knowing they will get scuffed, my detailer suggested clear bra wrap on the seats. Professionally installed, it would look great. The wrap could be removed for the next owner.

Just a quick comment to mention that my original post is now locked from edits, so updates will not appear there. Everything is on schedule for anything that needs work. Because of more concern to get protective wrap on the paint (declared yesterday to be of higher quality than what is normal) and nano protection on the windshield, updates will not appear on a daily basis. Do not make assumptions, the vehicle is NOT at Tesla being worked on but rather being driven, enjoyed, and soon to be detailed with a small fraction of to-do items.

ALL doors are working flawlessly. The precision fit of the rubber seals is amazing and tolerances are tight. I checked interior fit and finish and all those extremely unique custom parts have no alignment gaps but rather fit precisely. In short, the car is perfect except for that small list of work to be done.

For those who may be upset at my frankness, I do apologize. But my goal is for future manufacturing improvements and sharing the experience so other Model X owners will enjoy their delivery and vehicle knowing that Tesla Motors is doing their best at all levels to ensure your satisfaction, over time. The owners have waited a long time. The wait was worth it. Model X is "The Drive Into The Future". Please remember one thing, the Model X being delivered for display at the Tesla Store near you will get a heavy workout as everyone falls in love with the features. Those newer vehicles are the ones to examine and admire. Just as Model S got better over time with software and new part versions, the same legacy will continue with every Model X made. I look forward to the amazing reports we will share throughout 2016. Enjoy Model X!

Mark--your reports have been terrific and very much appreciated. It's important for future owners (97xx and in design phase) to have an understanding of this new product.

Please keep updating.

I think you totally missed my point, lola. I could have just said something about 'manufactured outrage' and perhaps should have. But honestly, do you not see that these posts about 'by golly, I'm going to post about problems if I want to and you're not going to stop me!!!' is just pure drama?? NO ONE IS STOPPING ANYONE AND NO ONE IS TRYING TO DO SO. That was my point. Look back through the thread. My comments from the beginning have been 'post if you want to do so'. I just saw no need yet for a database, since so few cars were delivered.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. As many know, I've qualified for a discounted Founders, fully loaded, through the referral program. I was also made an offer that would have been impossible to refuse in any case (meaning, even if I wasn't getting a Founders) from someone who wanted an early Sig X and could afford to twist my arm hard. Between the premium I'll be receiving and the discount, I've made out like a bandit (stevezzz has graciously pointed out 'you SUCK' over learning the details - old friends who keep you grounded are priceless.) Hard not to grin like a fool when I think about it. :)

As sad as I am to let it go, it is now parked and waiting for final paperwork before making its way to the new owner. Beautiful vehicle and I'm very very sad to see it go. I was lucky enough to have it in my possession for a few weeks and I'm grateful to the new owner for allowing me to lightly drive it. Can't wait for the permanent addition to my household now.

Now I really wish I had kept my very early production order in addition to the founder's. It wouldn't get the same as Sig X 2, but ... Darn.

Congrats on your good fortune.

Mark--your reports have been terrific and very much appreciated. It's important for future owners (97xx and in design phase) to have an understanding of this new product.

Please keep updating.
I appreciate your response!

Of course there will be updates. But I want to assure the readers of the thread that when there is silence over the next week or so it is due to finishing tasks to attend the most amazing display of electrified technology in the world. I won't be there on day one, but rather getting Model X protected with protective wrap and will check on the weather to see if S or X should be driven. I wish to avoid high winds with any new car due to blowing sand. My dates are flexible, the weather usually isn't. Enjoy the other threads and I will update you all later.

I know I'm an old fart and kids are treated different today. Isn't it possible to say "don't kick the back of my seat"? My grandson kicked mine and was told never to do that again and he hasn't.

I know I'm an old fart and kids are treated different today. Isn't it possible to say "don't kick the back of my seat"? My grandson kicked mine and was told never to do that again and he hasn't.

When I was a kid there was not enough leg room in the rear bench of the family car to kick the seat in front :frown: We never owned a minivan so I don't know what other kids were told.

For those who want ease of maintenance knowing they will get scuffed, my detailer suggested clear bra wrap on the seats. Professionally installed, it would look great. The wrap could be removed for the next owner.
Are you planning on having that done? I would enjoy seeing a picture if you do. I would also suspect getting it in a mat finish would help too.

teething pain

mine too. There will always be critics and even people who present any event in a false light or even tell outright lies. Anybody who's ever watched politicians speak should know about that. Why should an enthusiast forum be different? That goes double when the subject relates to a public company with substantial short interest.

We should be prepared to describe the object of our affection warts and all. If our cars are as good as we claim they are they can withstand criticism. I do not have an X but I do know my S is not perfect, even though it is better than any other car I know. Should not the X be allowing a little bit of "teething pain"? Please, name any product ever that has not had such.

Any new product launch is difficult and needs special attention to the early adopters. fortunately it was my understanding that Jerome Guillen should be back after his leave tomorrow. Can someone with good contacts in TM, ie Bonnie, confirm that the next couple of weeks will be going more smoothly with someone very customer centric and experienced back at work?

I was going to suggest hog tying them a time or two (because that would be more fun), but your suggestion always worked when I was a kid (but then we had a healthy fear of our parents 'back in the day'. I've usually just used the 'death star' when I've had (as an example) a kid sitting behind me in arena seats kicking the back of my seat.

I was going to suggest hog tying them a time or two (because that would be more fun), but your suggestion always worked when I was a kid (but then we had a healthy fear of our parents 'back in the day'. I've usually just used the 'death star' when I've had (as an example) a kid sitting behind me in arena seats kicking the back of my seat.

I've found, when someone's cherub has been kicking the back of my airline seat, that one quick Stare of Death will quickly stop all future seat vibrations.

Kids can learn fast. I know I did, when I was a kid.

Any new product launch is difficult and needs special attention to the early adopters. fortunately it was my understanding that Jerome Guillen should be back after his leave tomorrow. Can someone with good contacts in TM, ie Bonnie, confirm that the next couple of weeks will be going more smoothly with someone very customer centric and experienced back at work?

I don't expect Jerome back. Hasn't a replacement already been hired?
My expectation is that Tesla will continue to try hard to meet expectations but will continue to struggle with lacking communications and random changes in direction and no consistency - just what we saw before the new year. Sigs delivered I'm mostly random order after #1&2 were taken care of and terrible communication with the owners.

Not trying to keep this off-topic (though, not trying to put it back on) but yes, it's possible. Sometimes it's really easy, especially if you're not the parent. The parent has many roles in the child's eyes, while a grandparent, a stranger on a plane, a teacher, etc., typically have one, which is that of an elder's authority.

I'm fortunate to have two kids who are completely different. If I had two like my first, I'd think as you do, that you can just ask. I'd also think that my parenting methods were near ideal. However, I learned quickly that we're born with a lot of who we are. Kids (people, really) respond differently to guidance. My first can be asked to do something, told why, and that's it. Maybe a firm voice if it's not sinking in immediately. My second isn't the same.

That said, I did find something that works with regard to seat back kicking (see, I'm coming back around). I gave the car a personality. Sparky has a deep voice and is very friendly. And Sparky does NOT like to be kicked. It doesn't make him mad, it just makes him really, really sad. So my seat backs are actually in pretty great shape most of the time.

TL;DR - we're all different. I don't judge parents or kids based on my personal experience, nor do I assume the same tactics will work with them. But.. there's almost always some way to get through.