Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your Garage charging setup!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding Zero Emissions - doesn't Texas have a lot of coal generation? A Tesla in a place like Quebec is zero emissions, but Texas?
That’s a pointless statement. How do you know it’s not powered by solar or wind or both? Even if it’s charging on a coal fired grid, these cars make these grids more efficient. The car is a zero emission vehicle.

That’s a pointless statement. How do you know it’s not powered by solar or wind or both? Even if it’s charging on a coal fired grid, these cars make these grids more efficient. The car is a zero emission vehicle.
But the car charges every day or two and it likely takes emissions to charge the car.

IMHO the only EVs that have zero emissions would be in places where the grid has no hydrocarbons or if the vehicle is charged by someone off the grid who gets power from wind or solar. Even if the person has solar that has nothing to do with their EV. Having solar panels and driving an EV are two separate decisions that aren' really connected with each other.

I live in Ontario and I would not say that my car is zero emissions, despite the fact that I have solar panels that produce 13MWh per year and the Ontario grid has a very low carbon intensity - and the marginal CO2 emissions when I charge my car from 4-7 am are probably zero.

But the car charges every day or two and it likely takes emissions to charge the car.

IMHO the only EVs that have zero emissions would be in places where the grid has no hydrocarbons or if the vehicle is charged by someone off the grid who gets power from wind or solar. Even if the person has solar that has nothing to do with their EV. Having solar panels and driving an EV are two separate decisions that aren' really connected with each other.

I live in Ontario and I would not say that my car is zero emissions, despite the fact that I have solar panels that produce 13MWh per year and the Ontario grid has a very low carbon intensity - and the marginal CO2 emissions when I charge my car from 4-7 am are probably zero.
You can’t make a broad statement that because of your local grid, the vehicle is not zero emissions. That’s what trolls and shorts do. I live in Alberta where 80% of the grid is coal fired. My car will be as close to zero emission as you can get, powered only by solar. If the engineer working at the hydro plant drives an ice car to work, is hydro zero emissions? It’s pointless to talk about grid sources because these cars have the ability to be as close to zero emission as possible. These electric cars (not only Tesla), are the beginning of good things. As these cars become more commonplace, more and more people will power their vehicles with solar, and solar will get less and less expensive. In the meantime they make the grids more efficient, saving energy.

You can’t make a broad statement that because of your local grid, the vehicle is not zero emissions. That’s what trolls and shorts do. I live in Alberta where 80% of the grid is coal fired. My car will be as close to zero emission as you can get, powered only by solar. If the engineer working at the hydro plant drives an ice car to work, is hydro zero emissions? It’s pointless to talk about grid sources because these cars have the ability to be as close to zero emission as possible. These electric cars (not only Tesla), are the beginning of good things. As these cars become more commonplace, more and more people will power their vehicles with solar, and solar will get less and less expensive. In the meantime they make the grids more efficient, saving energy.

I completely disagree. You cannot separate the car from its power source. Is an EV powered by a coal source better than an ICE? Maybe, maybe not. You'd need to actually look at the numbers to determine it. But to say it's a step on the road... not really... until that coal plant disappears all you're doing is assuaging your guilt.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy and HarleyW
I completely disagree. You cannot separate the car from its power source. Is an EV powered by a coal source better than an ICE? Maybe, maybe not. You'd need to actually look at the numbers to determine it. But to say it's a step on the road... not really... until that coal plant disappears all you're doing is assuaging your guilt.

Who here feels guilt for their power source? lol

The guy from Alberta. :p

no but seriously, if you're driving an EV in a place powered by coal I don't think there's a point. Drive an ICE, will make no difference.
I mean...it does make a difference. With an ICE car you have to account for the refining process, the fuel consumed over time and the emissions the car produces.

With an EV, you basically produce no emissions and your power source is still less polluting when compared to the entire lifecycle for an ICE car. Am I wrong here?

I mean...it does make a difference. With an ICE car you have to account for the refining process, the fuel consumed over time and the emissions the car produces.

With an EV, you basically produce no emissions and your power source is still less polluting when compared to the entire lifecycle for an ICE car. Am I wrong here?

I'd say yes, since refining oil into the different components cost way more energy than it delivers and uses other petrochemicals as the energy source (Nat gas/propane). They don't tell you this at the pump ;)

How Clean is Your Electric Vehicle?

Closest is Buffalo = 54g of CO2 / mile

IMG_9323.jpg
IMG_7768.JPG

wow!? I can only assume you misread or misunderstood my comment. The car does not have to be charged by the local grid. Mine won't be.