Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first go round with the design had 10 panels facing Northeast because my HOA requires rectangular mounts. However, they do list an exception for a loss of 10% of generated. Will a SW exposure have more than 10% generation compared to a NE? The only other HOA rule is 8" from roof edge. So I have request a complete SW exposure. I took the NE 10 and placed them in red facing SW. Hopefully Tesla can do the same.

The cost difference between Small and Medium on a per watts basis is pretty significant. Downsizing will be a last resort.

Attachments

• solar.png
    solar.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 127
Will a SW exposure have more than 10% generation compared to a NE?

You can go to PVWatts Calculator and enter details about your location, system size, and panel orientation and it will tell you the estimated annual production numbers. If you run it once for SW and once for NE you should be able to see how much of a difference it will make. If you do need to go to your HOA to request an exception that data should help you present your case too.

You can go to PVWatts Calculator and enter details about your location, system size, and panel orientation and it will tell you the estimated annual production numbers. If you run it once for SW and once for NE you should be able to see how much of a difference it will make. If you do need to go to your HOA to request an exception that data should help you present your case too.

Good advice.

Also, it would be worth mentioning to your HOA that Tesla solar panels installs look way better than most, with the all black panels and black perimeter skirt/trim.

First post, just ordered and went into permitting yesterday. I'm unsure where to put the powerwall. My preference is to leave it on the side of the house (west side), but hear the direct sun / heat can affect the longevity. I don't mind putting them inside the garage (West side), but it's a pretty long run. Would love your opinions.

Attachments

• Powerwall Location Notes.png
    Powerwall Location Notes.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: willow_hiller
First post, just ordered and went into permitting yesterday. I'm unsure where to put the powerwall. My preference is to leave it on the side of the house (west side), but hear the direct sun / heat can affect the longevity. I don't mind putting them inside the garage (West side), but it's a pretty long run. Would love your opinions.

Longevity isn’t really a concern with direct sun and heat. The powerwalls will actively cool and heat themselves to keep the batteries at an optimal temp and the white paint helps to reflect a lot of radiation from the sun. (The technician who installed mine said that it’s the same paint that they use on the cars, so the paint should do fine outside). The potential concern is that actively cooling the batteries does use some power, so by putting the powerwall in a garage or somewhere with less temperature extremes then you could save a bit of energy because it wouldn’t use as much power to cool itself. That said though, I don’t think it’s a really significant savings and it can get hot in garages too, so I probably wouldn’t worry about it too much.

I was asking @willow_hiller, but the same question applies for you, I guess.

I'm guessing it depends on the jurisdiction as to what is legal within code. Wouldn't hurt to ask, however, shading may become more of an issue depending on trees since patio covers are usually lower to the ground that the roof.

I did, yes. The structure is a small shed (satellite image attached).

Screenshot from 2020-06-25 18-09-10.png

It's possible 2-3 panels would fit on the South-facing side, but I think Tesla prioritizes keeping panels grouped together (they didn't suggest any panels for the shed in any case). Plus the shed is not physically attached to the house, so it would need a small span of conduit between the two.

Longevity isn’t really a concern with direct sun and heat. The powerwalls will actively cool and heat themselves to keep the batteries at an optimal temp and the white paint helps to reflect a lot of radiation from the sun. (The technician who installed mine said that it’s the same paint that they use on the cars, so the paint should do fine outside). The potential concern is that actively cooling the batteries does use some power, so by putting the powerwall in a garage or somewhere with less temperature extremes then you could save a bit of energy because it wouldn’t use as much power to cool itself. That said though, I don’t think it’s a really significant savings and it can get hot in garages too, so I probably wouldn’t worry about it too much.
Would it be better the to have them install just the Powerwalls in the garage? It’s a pretty long run, maybe 60 feet? What are the disadvantages?

Would it be better the to have them install just the Powerwalls in the garage? It’s a pretty long run, maybe 60 feet? What are the disadvantages?

Well, I had my powerwalls installed on Monday of this week and I decided to put them in the garage, so I guess that tells you how I feel about it;). Although in my case if I had installed them outside they would have just been put on the other side of the same wall, so there wasn’t any extra cable run or anything to worry about for me.

I think there is a distance limitation between the powerwalls and the panels, but as I recall that’s something like 150 feet, so 60 feet should be fine. When the installers arrive you can talk to them about location options. In my case, at least, they were willing to put them inside or outside.

If possible, it's always ideal to have less temperature variability with electronics and batteries. I would opt to have them in a more temperature-stable environment (e.g. garage) if it were me.

I'm having my solar inverter installed in the garage for this very reason.

I did, yes. The structure is a small shed (satellite image attached).

View attachment 556333

It's possible 2-3 panels would fit on the South-facing side, but I think Tesla prioritizes keeping panels grouped together (they didn't suggest any panels for the shed in any case). Plus the shed is not physically attached to the house, so it would need a small span of conduit between the two.
According to the consultant it must have an attic. I didn’t dive much deeper but may decide to go with 4 less panels as the eastern face is less efficient. Wish I had though about this while doing my roof last year I would’ve moved some vents to make more room.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
According to the consultant it must have an attic. I didn’t dive much deeper but may decide to go with 4 less panels as the eastern face is less efficient. Wish I had though about this while doing my roof last year I would’ve moved some vents to make more room.

PVWatts is really handy for checking the effect of facing: PVWatts Calculator

I was disappointed my layout had to fit the final 4 panels on a Northeast facing roof, but when I ran the numbers I realized it only translated to a loss of about 500 kWh per year on a system that's otherwise producing 14 MWh.