Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the official technical plans showing the required setbacks.

Interestingly, the 3-ft. set-back is not required from array-to-edge, so long as there is a 3-ft. set-back on the adjacent roof plane from ridge-to-eave.
Annotation 2020-07-16 161903.jpg

I don't think Tesla will do this. You would probably need to hire a contractor to do this. The vents can be a myriad of different things (sewer, radon, attic vent, exhaust fan vent, etc.).

I will concur with this. My husband asked about removing our Solar Attic Fan to make room for more panels when we were going over layout with Tesla and were told that was something we would have to go through with a roofing company prior to them coming out to install solar. They were able to revise the plans to rearrange the panels we had to make it work better for us (2 roof sections instead of 3) and so we didn't pursue hiring a roofer.

• Helpful
Reactions: droidment
I ordered July 9th and received my layout just now. I sent an email asking a few questions about the details but the layout looks like what I expected since I asked them to avoid the front of the house. The production estimate is a bit lower than what PVWatts predicts but it may be closer to reality since other installers have told me that PVWatts doesn't do a great job of modeling the morning marine cloud layer we get.

Tesla Solar Layout.jpg

Reactions: willow_hiller
upload_2020-7-18_14-15-21.png

Near Houston, Texas. Most of the panels are South-facing and a few on the west side. I went full-research mode and had a Aurora model (Thanks, Fiverr) . Turns out the south-east panels are a bit less than optimal than the full-on south. Was hoping to move some panels from West side to the South side. But looks like there are some vents, etc. Please post any ideas

upload_2020-7-18_14-19-21.png

View attachment 566034
Near Houston, Texas. Most of the panels are South-facing and a few on the west side. I went full-research mode and had a Aurora model (Thanks, Fiverr) . Turns out the south-east panels are a bit less than optimal than the full-on south. Was hoping to move some panels from West side to the South side. But looks like there are some vents, etc. Please post any ideas

This is my current Tesla design. 4kw system + one powerwall, which I'm on the fence about. I have a seperate thread going...

Interesting that I could get a medium system and scale down costs as needed for panels i don't use. I'll have to ask during the on-site survey next week. Feels like I'm learning something new every day :(. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy yet...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200717-194858_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200717-194858_Drive.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
Here is my proposed system with the picture oriented north. We could actually use something larger, but have lots of trees around us and I am concerned about shading. During the summer, we get lots of sun, though the southeast five panels don't get sun until around 10 am. I am more concerned for the winter when the sun will be low on the horizon. Comparing the two solstices, the sun is at about 70 deg at its peak during the summer and just shy of 22 deg in the winter. Granted, the trees will lose their leaves in the winter, but there will still be shadows from branches. We are in Maryland.

Attachments

• 36 Panel design.png
    36 Panel design.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: willow_hiller
Here is my layout that they provided in March 2020 (14.85kw system). I just went and put in my address and average bill and the price for the same system is $7k cheaper. Yet when I log in my Tesla account, the original price is still showing.

Has Solar Roof gone done in price?

Also, they now are aggressive in adding PowerWalls to their "estimate of what you need."
Tesla Roof Updated.jpg

Here is my layout that they provided in March 2020 (14.85kw system). I just went and put in my address and average bill and the price for the same system is $7k cheaper. Yet when I log in my Tesla account, the original price is still showing.

Has Solar Roof gone done in price?

Also, they now are aggressive in adding PowerWalls to their "estimate of what you need." View attachment 567249

If there has been a price reduction, you should be entitled to the reduced price. I would reach out to your representative to share what you found.

I most definitely will. With Covid, I just sort of put it on the back burner. I need a new roof, but not leaking or anything and was not rushing to buy a premium roof at this point.
Definitely do it it soon. Some portion of that roof + Powerwalls is eligible for the 26% fed tax credit this year. Which goes to 22% in 2021, 10% in 2022(?).

But to get the credit you must be "installed" in the calendar year. Your interpretation on what "installed" means.

PS. I would add at least one additional powerwall. 2 more would be even better given the size of your system. Each powerwall add stroage, but more importanly adds 5 Kw of power you can draw at any one time. So if you want to cover A/C in addition to lights you want at least two. The cost for an additional PWs is about $6,500 per PW. And a lot of the costs of installing PWs is built into the costs of installing the first one.

Last edited:
I think it's actually 22% in 2021, and then in 2022 the 10% is only for commercial solar installations. After 22% in 2021 residential solar will have no tax credit.

Thanks! Corrected 22 in 2021. I have not heard it was 0% for us regular people in 2022. I guess they want us to burn more coal.:(

I definitely need to decide on 3rd PW soon.:eek:

Definitely do it it soon. Some portion of that roof + Powerwalls is eligible for the 26% fed tax credit this year. Which goes to 22% in 2021, 10% in 2022(?).

But to get the credit you must be "installed" in the calendar year. Your interpretation on what "installed" means.

PS. I would add at least one additional powerwall. 2 more would be even better given the size of your system. Each powerwall add stroage, but more importanly adds 5 Kw of power you can draw at any one time. So if you want to cover A/C in addition to lights you want at least two. The cost for an additional PWs is about $6,500 per PW. And a lot of the costs of installing PWs is built into the costs of installing the first one.
I would agree that adding more PWs makes sense with this system, and it might even be less than $6.5k depending on whether Tesla is still adding increasing discounts for adding more PWs with solar roof (I've heard different things about that.) In any case, that is a good justification to have Tesla re-price everything, and they seem to be very willing to provide updated, lower pricing, when it is available.

As far as the 26% vs 22% ITC goes, I agree that it probably makes sense to secure the larger discount if you can, though I expect there is a very good chance that once they start scheduling installs for 2021, the price of the portion subject to ITC credits will also drop by 4%, but it is not a guarantee. (Of course, there is also a chance that the whole ITC scheme will change or be extended.) The biggest thing will be ensuring that if you get an install for late 2020 that Tesla will agree to reimburse you that 4% in the event they cause delays that push your install date into 2021.

Reactions: jboy210
Thanks! Corrected 22 in 2021. I have not heard it was 0% for us regular people in 2022. I guess they want us to burn more coal.:(

I definitely need to decide on 3rd PW soon.:eek:

I think there is a decent chance the residential ITC will be extended. And to be fair, it probably is set to drop to 0% because it makes sense at some point to sunset these credits as the technology the ITC supports hopefully matures to the point it can stand on its own (and, for budget planning, the math works better.) It has actually been around since 2005 and has been extended multiple times as it got near expiration. And, I think it has been very successful in its purpose.

As to what that extension will look like, who knows. Maybe they will go back to 30%, or maybe they will just add more step-down years (like 18%, 14%, 10%.) Given how successfully companies like Tesla seem to have been at driving down prices, it seems like stepping it down makes the most sense.