Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your VIN if you rejected your car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told recently by a friend whose friend works at Tesla that rejected cars go to a pool that employees can purchase at a discount. As-is. Bad panel alignment? Scratches on the fenders? Too bad. They'll fix things like cracked windows, leaks, etc... but things that don't affect the function of the car are as-is. Dunno all the details - just what my friend told me that he was told. So... take this with a grain of salt. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Amit519
I rejected a Model 3 with VIN 666. The car was perfect, but I just didn't even dare to touch it!! :eek:
I'm assuming you're joking. I get that some people are superstitious, but you would have known the VIN long before the car was set for delivery, and you should have told them "nope, not taking a 666 VIN, please assign me another one" at that time instead of waiting for delivery.

Personally, I'd love to have a red M3 with 666 VIN. :)

Reactions: Pentium2004
I'm assuming you're joking. I get that some people are superstitious, but you would have known the VIN long before the car was set for delivery, and you should have told them "nope, not taking a 666 VIN, please assign me another one" at that time instead of waiting for delivery.

Personally, I'd love to have a red M3 with 666 VIN. :)

I'd take it if it were yellow with pink polka dots!!!

Edit: I shouldn't have put that out there. I feel a prank coming my way on delivery... o_O

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
So the theory is that employees are risking their jobs in order to allow their fellow employees to buy cars at a discount? Color me skeptical that this is a strong incentive. Let alone 'utterly catastrophic'.
Yeah. There would be no guarantee the person would reject it, so they'd have to do it a LOT to get the car they want. If they found people intentionally making flaws, they'd be fired and charged with intentional destruction of property, and who knows what other criminal charges. It would be risking a lot. I don't think it's too much of an incentive.

Reactions: Amit519
I'm actually really interested in some responses here. I received my VIN last week and am scheduled for delivery this Friday. Its Solid Black Aero with a VIN in 10xxx, which seems pretty low given where they are at. I have some concern that it was a rejected delivery.

Reactions: Schowtyme
Absolutely! That's why it's good to know why it was rejected so the next person getting that VIN could get a heads up and inspect for those fixes.

Given the choice of a new car or a "reworked" car, people will choose the new car every time - even if there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with the reworked car.

If you don't notice an issue, unless someone else points it out, it usually means that it's insignificant enough to not matter. There are flaws in everything and it is unreasonable to turn down every car until you get a perfect one.

There are certain exceptions such as if there was major damage like the car falling off the carrier. For something like wrinkled leather or a near indiscernible panel gap, it doesn't make sense to reject the car as long as it is fixed before delivery.

Given the choice of a new car or a "reworked" car, people will choose the new car every time - even if there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with the reworked car.

If you don't notice an issue, unless someone else points it out, it usually means that it's insignificant enough to not matter. There are flaws in everything and it is unreasonable to turn down every car until you get a perfect one.

There are certain exceptions such as if there was major damage like the car falling off the carrier. For something like wrinkled leather or a near indiscernible panel gap, it doesn't make sense to reject the car as long as it is fixed before delivery.

Point is, IF it was indeed rejected. It must of been something pretty bad for someone to reject the car and them allowing the car to be rejected.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike