TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Post your VIN if you rejected your car.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Fusion, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Fusion

Fusion Member

Please post your VIN number for the members here if you rejected your car and the reason. I have a feeling Tesla might refurbish those cars and pass it on to the next guy. This might help us keep a eye out for rejects and known problems since it was rejected.

• Like x 1
  2. drawfour

drawfour Member

I was told recently by a friend whose friend works at Tesla that rejected cars go to a pool that employees can purchase at a discount. As-is. Bad panel alignment? Scratches on the fenders? Too bad. They'll fix things like cracked windows, leaks, etc... but things that don't affect the function of the car are as-is. Dunno all the details - just what my friend told me that he was told. So... take this with a grain of salt. :)

• Informative x 1
  3. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

Now that would be an utterly catastrophic policy that encourages employees to insert visible but superficial flaws. Tesla please stop inventing bullshit incentives like this.

• Disagree x 3
  4. Adm

Adm Active Member

I rejected a Model 3 with VIN 666. The car was perfect, but I just didn't even dare to touch it!! :eek:

• Funny x 6
  5. skitown

skitown Member

So the theory is that employees are risking their jobs in order to allow their fellow employees to buy cars at a discount? Color me skeptical that this is a strong incentive. Let alone 'utterly catastrophic'.

• Like x 5
  6. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

Was it red ?

• Funny x 8
  7. drawfour

drawfour Member

I'm assuming you're joking. I get that some people are superstitious, but you would have known the VIN long before the car was set for delivery, and you should have told them "nope, not taking a 666 VIN, please assign me another one" at that time instead of waiting for delivery.

Personally, I'd love to have a red M3 with 666 VIN. :)

• Like x 1
  8. Adm

Adm Active Member

I'd take it if it were yellow with pink polka dots!!!

Edit: I shouldn't have put that out there. I feel a prank coming my way on delivery... o_O

• Funny x 1
  9. drawfour

drawfour Member

Yeah. There would be no guarantee the person would reject it, so they'd have to do it a LOT to get the car they want. If they found people intentionally making flaws, they'd be fired and charged with intentional destruction of property, and who knows what other criminal charges. It would be risking a lot. I don't think it's too much of an incentive.

• Like x 1
  10. rosh

rosh Member

I'm actually really interested in some responses here. I received my VIN last week and am scheduled for delivery this Friday. Its Solid Black Aero with a VIN in 10xxx, which seems pretty low given where they are at. I have some concern that it was a rejected delivery.

• Like x 1
  11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

If a car was rejected because of a misaligned body panel, and Tesla realighned that body panel, why not put it back up for sale.

If a seat had wrinkled leather, and they replaced the seat...

• Like x 2
  12. Fusion

Fusion Member

Absolutely! That's why it's good to know why it was rejected so the next person getting that VIN could get a heads up and inspect for those fixes.

• Like x 1
  13. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

Given the choice of a new car or a "reworked" car, people will choose the new car every time - even if there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with the reworked car.

If you don't notice an issue, unless someone else points it out, it usually means that it's insignificant enough to not matter. There are flaws in everything and it is unreasonable to turn down every car until you get a perfect one.

There are certain exceptions such as if there was major damage like the car falling off the carrier. For something like wrinkled leather or a near indiscernible panel gap, it doesn't make sense to reject the car as long as it is fixed before delivery.

• Like x 2
  14. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

Thomas Edison You know you are currently at 666 posted messages as of now..

• Funny x 2
  15. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

What if it is a re-worked car at the factory itself, during QA ?

16. Fusion

Fusion Member

Point is, IF it was indeed rejected. It must of been something pretty bad for someone to reject the car and them allowing the car to be rejected.

• Disagree x 1
  17. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Not considering the comments from some people on TMC...just sayin'....

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. sperkin

sperkin Member

Just reject the next 2 cars you see if you are worried. The 3rd car will most likely be fresh out of the factory. Just to be safe, I recommend you always reject the first car.

• Funny x 2
  19. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

^You're kidding, right?

20. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

Notice that on this entire thread not one person has actually reported rejecting their car. Says a little something about improved quality I think.

Dan

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1