Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential new Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went up to the Heathrow branch of Tesla yesterday to test drive the MS, X and 3 and have come away with the decision to buy the LR MS, I was very impressed with all of the models and the customer service.
I can't order just yet as we will soon be moving house so will be ordering once we are there and plan to get an Andersen EV A2 charger installed.

I will be ordering the black with black interior version and the only question I have is to find out if it is at all possible based on anyones experience to be able to change the wood effect to carbon fibre?
I have had a bit of a google and did see that a customer in Australia was able to do this last year at a price of around £1k direct with Tesla, anyone in the UK been able to do this?

Welcome to the forum.

If you do go ahead and order a new Tesla, if you are not aware, you can use an official Tesla referral code to get some supercharging benefits (1000 free supercharger miles) and an entry into a prize draw to win a Tesla. The referrer also gets the same benefits.

I am sure by the time that check your inbox, you will have received many offers of the referral link from people.

Just be aware that Tesla do not build to order - they build what they want and then see if anybody has ordered that spec. True.
So if you order anything non-standard just be prepared to wait. We're talking months. During this period, you may think that you are on the dark side of the moon because you can rest assured that Tesla will not communicate with you at all during this time. I don't know what they told you when to expect delivery after you order but ... just read the threads on this forum... it will be a while. So if you are the slightest bit impatient or just a teensy bit excited about getting a new Tesla, I would keep the order simple. It's often said on this forum that the wait is worth it but there is a limit and I'm just concerned you are likely to reach it.

I asked about changing retrofitting a carbon fibre interior, Tesla UK said it was possible, at a cost of around £1000 I think. I didn't go ahead with it once I got the car, as I was happy enough in the end with the wood effect.

I will be ordering the black with black interior version and the only question I have is to find out if it is at all possible based on anyones experience to be able to change the wood effect to carbon fibre?

It used to be possible to have this done when placing the order as an “off menu” request. I asked exactly the same question a few weeks ago and the answer was no, it would have to be a retrofit. As I’m using PCH that would mean having to refit the standard trim before handing the car back so I won’t be taking it any further.

Just be aware that Tesla do not build to order - they build what they want and then see if anybody has ordered that spec.

I know that’s certainly true of the 3 but I thought the S/X were built to order, albeit in batches when destined for export markets.

It used to be possible to have this done when placing the order as an “off menu” request. I asked exactly the same question a few weeks ago and the answer was no, it would have to be a retrofit. As I’m using PCH that would mean having to refit the standard trim before handing the car back so I won’t be taking it any further.

I know that’s certainly true of the 3 but I thought the S/X were built to order, albeit in batches when destined for export markets.

When I was recently enquiring about a new Model S I was told that the car would be build to order - depending on the spec! I just laughed. Only Tesla! To be fair, I think he was trying to explain the likely delay from order to delivery and whether a car could be found from inventory.

When I was recently enquiring about a new Model S I was told that the car would be build to order - depending on the spec! I just laughed. Only Tesla! To be fair, I think he was trying to explain the likely delay from order to delivery and whether a car could be found from inventory.

Like it - a bit like available in every colour so long as you choose black (or words to that effect). I’m fascinated to see when my new one arrives. I ordered on 23/05 with delivery quoted as Aug, :eek: which is still is if you order today!

My current S took exactly 4 months from order to delivery, and I don’t think anything has changed in the routing since then. No hidden VIN showing yet.....

I placed the order for my current S on March 18th 2019 and got delivery June 22nd - just in time to get it into the Q2 sales figures! They had originally said June 29th but I had a holiday booked and couldn't collect until July 12th, so they brought it forward!

I was led to believe that it had been built to order.

I placed the order for my current S on March 18th 2019 and got delivery June 22nd - just in time to get it into the Q2 sales figures! They had originally said June 29th but I had a holiday booked and couldn't collect until July 12th, so they brought it forward!

I was led to believe that it had been built to order.

...yeah. but the poor guy who ordered it is still waiting...:D

• Funny
Reactions: Beady3647 and DJP31