Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential solution to supercharger status question- live video streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure others have considered this as a potential cheap and easy solution to providing the status of supercharger stations, but I've yet to see it discussed. Why not have real-time video streaming of each Tesla supercharger site integrated into the nav system? It would be inexpensive and very easy. It would allow drivers to look and see if the station is fully occupied or not and help decide to use it or carry on to another location. If the station is out of order for some reason, Tesla could easily replace the video feed with that information and ETA for a repair.

Personally I would rather see this keep-it-simple solution rather than some complex and glitchy means of routing traffic away from busy stations.

...real-time video streaming of each Tesla supercharger site integrated into the nav system?...

1) That sounds so expensive to me.
2) The law prohibits video for driver except backup camera.
3) Tesla already has electronic logging system and it's being used for billing to a correct owner right now.
The status/operation of each bay is live electronically but Tesla is not sharing the info to owners just yet.
The cost should be minimal to write a code so owners can see electronic reports of Supercharger in real time whether from the car or from a phone app.

Why not a system like Waze, where avatars of the active cars show up (optionally) on the Nav screen? Zoom in on the Supercharger and see how many cars are there.

Sounds good!

Tesla has real time Supercharger Status a long time ago and was covered 3 years ago.

As you can see, it shows you exactly which bays are occupied and which are not:

Tesla-supercharger-Hawthorne.jpg

All of what needed is to share that info to owners.

Forget live video and individual stall indications, just tell me how many stalls are occupied out of how many available, and maybe make some estimation of wait time (based on charge completion and how many other cars are waiting and how much charge they need). They system knows most all of this information, and I don't see a privacy concern.

Reactions: DriverOne