Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Tesla and a local tire center tried to mount the Nokian R2s to the Tesla cyclone rims I had power coated and were unable to get them to seat properly. After putting two of them next to a space heater, Tesla says two of them popped into place. I called the powder coating place and they say they've never had problems before. They just did a single coat in the inner portion of the rim and no clear coat there. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks.

Here's my color, about the same as the dark 21's. $100 per wheel, no problem seating the tires.
IMG_0740.jpg

Anyone know the paint code used on the factory 21" turbines? Tesla calls it "Sonic Carbon" but that doesn't help if trying to get a wheel powdercoated by a 3rd party.

Apparently powder costing doesn't go by the same paint codes so knowing the exact code might not help. If you already have the 21" grey wheels can drive to the powder coating place and they have samples to hold up next to the wheel. I did that and got really close to factory look on the Cyclones.

Turns out the problem with my wheels was the powder coating of the inside of the rim. Tire wouldn't slide into place so they had to sand it off. Works fine now.

I recently bought a used set of 21" rims and took them to a powder coating shop. Initially, I just wanted to have them done with the same stock silver colour due to a curb rash but then the guy showed me a colour that I wish I didn't see. It's a chrome-like powder coating that falls between silver and chrome. I'm attaching a pic of the sample he showed me.

Did anyone go with this colour before? I really want to see a rim with that colour to be able to decide.
I'm not a big fan of dark rims and I like the contrast between the silver wheels and the dolphin grey.

IMG_20141106_162140.jpg

I believe a clear coat will be applied to the rims, which might have not been applied to the sample in the pic.

Got my P85D last week and my detailer just finished up with it today (wrap, tint, etc.,). He also powdercoated the 19" silver cyclones to look like the 21" gray turbines and I have to say it did the trick. Another Tesla owner was at the shop too and thought they really were 21" turbines!

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG
image5.JPG
image6.JPG
image7.JPG

Got my P85D last week and my detailer just finished up with it today (wrap, tint, etc.,). He also powdercoated the 19" silver cyclones to look like the 21" gray turbines and I have to say it did the trick. Another Tesla owner was at the shop too and thought they really were 21" turbines!

View attachment 67127View attachment 67128View attachment 67129View attachment 67130View attachment 67131View attachment 67132View attachment 67133

Beaut-eous car Comassign- nice meeting you at Appearance Solutions today and glad to have had the opportunity to see your new ride in person! The powder coat finish of those 19" cyclones looked stellar in contrast with your pearl white. I had Mike install the Xpel on my full front end and full bumper but seeing yours inspires me to bring it back in for him to do a full wrap as yours!

Per an earlier thread about the rare OEM gray cyclones, I was able to email support and have them update my avatar on the touchscreen, dash, and mobile app to show 19" gray cyclones. Not sure if that's an option for 19" base wheels though.

Taking my car in Monday to get the wheels powder coated... estimate is 10 days! Picking up some of the wheel caps from Tesla tomorrow so the wheel shop can match the color.

Not sure if that's normal or if they just can only do one wheel at a time... but it's going to be a sad two weeks driving my old ICE while they're working on the wheels.

Taking my car in Monday to get the wheels powder coated... estimate is 10 days! Picking up some of the wheel caps from Tesla tomorrow so the wheel shop can match the color.

Not sure if that's normal or if they just can only do one wheel at a time... but it's going to be a sad two weeks driving my old ICE while they're working on the wheels.
That seems very long. Mine was done overnight by the shop that SC uses.

They don't think there is enough demand. I had to have them powder coated on my own.
Hmm... Strange here it Norway it seems like almost all grey cars have the grey 21"s for the summerwheels. So clearly a demand for grey wheels. Opted for the silver 21"s for summer wheels for that exact reason.

Powdercoating here is a bit on the expensive side, but considering getting my standard 19" winter wheels done as they are a bit boring. Considering them in some sort of black variant though.

I think they're intentionally not offering 19" gray cyclones to avoid cannibalizing sales of the much more expensive and profitable 21" gray turbines.

That was my thought as well. They could easily prove them between silver Cyclones and the 21" rims. I mentioned this to someone at Tesla and they said they didn't want to add any more variables to the production line that necessary. I still think there is demand for them. It's not like the people in colder climates are demanding the 21" grey rims for winter use. They'll want 19" rims and if Tesla doesn't offer them in grey then they'll go aftermarket.

Just got the my 19" cyclone's done to color match the gray 21" turbines and used Tesla's stock gray wheel caps.

Sorry for low quality phone pic but it's the best daylight shot I could get so far in lovely Seattle February weather

20150203_121918.jpg

There was still some white gunk/grease on the wheels & tires when I snapped this photo, but I wiped it down a bit afterwards.

I'll try to get some nicer shots when I have the PPF & tint done in about 2 weeks.