Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you are saying they are forcing people to pay an extra ~$1,700, by buying a new PCS, when buying a replacement battery pack for their convivence? (Rather than moving their perfectly good PCS from the old pack to the new pack?)
But they aren't forcing you to buy a new PCS (they aren't charging you ~$1700 more or whatever the part price is for the PCS), it's just included in the pack for "free". I think a test may be to take out the old PCS prior to doing a pack replacement (especially with a new replacement not a refurb) and see if Tesla will make you give the PCS back.

Last edited:
Ease of access isn't what it's about though. It's about what that part number representation SAYS. When you get a battery replacement, and they put in part number XXXX that says it is the battery pack, that is Tesla saying "Here is your battery." That is an implicit (not explicit) representation that what they are giving you IS to be considered as "the battery".

And yeah, we know it has been decided, but this is a mental exercise in why most people should consider that arbitration decision to be clearly wrong.
I get the logic for the argument, I'm just saying the reason why they don't take it out when doing a battery swap is because it saves labor, especially given they are pretty much always going to be giving you a PCS of the same or better spec (like they don't generally install SR or RWD packs on LR or Performance trims).

The install would certainly be more work, and maybe that would cost more than shipping them with the PCS.
The PCS remove/install procedure is ~2.5 hours. And a bunch of that work would overlap a full pack replacement. So even at ~$200/hour for labor it would be cheaper to move your old PCS than to buy a new one as part of the pack.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Are you really trying to say that the battery pack wouldn't be priced lower if the PCS wasn't included? o_O
Presuming they don't change the physical design to make the installation process different, it might not be priced lower (just like how Tesla wouldn't necessarily charge less for a car with a pack that had the true lower capacity vs the one with a software lock).

Basically ease of manufacturing/service is worth money to Tesla. Plus in this case, comparing the two scenarios:
1) pack is swapped with a refurb pack with PCS; old pack is taken to refurbish with PCS included, rinse and repeat
2) replacement pack comes without PCS, extra labor is spent transferring PCS to replacement pack, old pack doesn't have PCS when they refurb it

The latter may actually cost Tesla more money because of tying up the technician to transfer the PCS everytime (even if they bill for the labor, which the owner may not be happy about because they are being billed for "unnecessary" work).

The only case where they actually paid extra for the PCS is when they sell you a new pack with a new PCS, but then when they use that to swap with your old pack, they get a PCS back, which as above makes them more efficient.

As mentioned, the only thing that trips this process up is when owner insists on keeping their old pack or their PCS or if their PCS is broken. But I imagine that is a relatively rare case.

Do you have a Tesla home charger? Seems like a lot of cases reported had a Tesla home charger.
Ah, correlation without causation.

"There was a study that was done that found a strong correlation between the ice cream sales and number of shark attacks for a number of beaches that were sampled.

Conclusion: Increasing ice cream sales causes more shark attacks (sharks like to eat people that are full of ice cream)."

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
But I have asked my EE friend to see if he can answer your question.
I can be your EE friend if you want ;)

You're not the first person in this thread to bring up the theory that the charger can damage just one charge brick in the PCS.

Most people charge at home, so of course most people see failures after charging at home.

Reactions: Rocky_H
How would small claims help?
You can sue in small claims for breech of warranty. You don't need to wait for a class action.
Bring the argument that the PCS is part of the battery to a judge and let them decide. Worst that can happen is being out a $40 filing fee, but pretty good chance you win and get your PCS repaired for free.

Reactions: nicksp and MP3Mike
You can sue in small claims for breech of warranty. You don't need to wait for a class action.
Bring the argument that the PCS is part of the battery to a judge and let them decide. Worst that can happen is being out a $40 filing fee, but pretty good chance you win and get your PCS repaired for free.
Oh ok. I see your point. Also if a Tesla rep doesn't show up it's an automatic win.