Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can any independent Tesla repair shop do the PCS repair for less?
They might be able to, but I don't think Tesla will sell them a new PCS, so you would have to source one from a crashed vehicle/failed battery pack. (So probably slim pickings there.)

And how many independent Tesla repair shops are there? Maybe 5 in the country right now? (Or maybe I have missed that a lot more have opened.)

• Informative
Reactions: nicksp
but I don't think Tesla will sell them a new PCS
The part is not listed as restricted. You can buy one.

1701792599646.png

so you would have to source one from a crashed vehicle/failed battery pack. (So probably slim pickings there.)
There are literally over 1M Model 3/Y's in the USA now. Finding a wrecked pack someone has taken apart for a different project wouldn't be that hard.

Can any independent Tesla repair shop do the PCS repair for less?
The part itself is most of the cost, not the labor. Looks like Tesla only charges about 2 hours to replace it. So you're looking at about a $1400 part and $500 in labor.

They might be able to, but I don't think Tesla will sell them a new PCS, so you would have to source one from a crashed vehicle/failed battery pack. (So probably slim pickings there.)

And how many independent Tesla repair shops are there? Maybe 5 in the country right now? (Or maybe I have missed that a lot more have opened.)
Saw this part on eBay for about $600. I don't need it but reading there posts here makes me wonder if I should buy one just in case.

Saw this part on eBay for about $600. I don't need it but reading there posts here makes me wonder if I should buy one just in case.
The failure rate is not that high, and there will always be one to buy from somewhere. This is annoying for sure for the people it has happened to, and it's scummy of Tesla to call something sold under "HV battery components" as "not part of the battery" and thus denying warranty, but this is not an epidemic.

I am waiting for the service center in Peabody, MA to replace my PCS ($1,100 for the part and $580 for labor). However, I got to this stage by a different set of circumstances. Yesterday when when I went to unplug my car (2020 Model Y) from the wall charger (48a) the cable couldn’t be taken out of the car. Tried to schedule mobile service up in Maine (just north of Portland) with no luck. After some investigation I replaced the 12v battery and still couldn’t extract the cable. Eventually pulled the mechanical release and had to pay $750 to get the car towed to Peabody (by then the car was totally dead and self-locked). They diagnosed it last night and said it was the PCS. Anyone else have their fail with the same set of problems? As far as I know it was still charging just fine at home and actually has a full 80% charge. I plan to use some of the info in this thread in my attempt to get the cost covered.

I am waiting for the service center in Peabody, MA to replace my PCS ($1,100 for the part and $580 for labor). However, I got to this stage by a different set of circumstances. Yesterday when when I went to unplug my car (2020 Model Y) from the wall charger (48a) the cable couldn’t be taken out of the car. Tried to schedule mobile service up in Maine (just north of Portland) with no luck. After some investigation I replaced the 12v battery and still couldn’t extract the cable. Eventually pulled the mechanical release and had to pay $750 to get the car towed to Peabody (by then the car was totally dead and self-locked). They diagnosed it last night and said it was the PCS. Anyone else have their fail with the same set of problems? As far as I know it was still charging just fine at home and actually has a full 80% charge. I plan to use some of the info in this thread in my attempt to get the cost covered.
You just experienced a different failure mode in the PCS. People here are mostly talking about the on-board charger part of the PCS failing. Your failure was in the DC-DC converter portion.

In the first two generations of the Model S, these components (OBC and DC-DC) were completely separate. The Model 3 initiated the integration of these into the "PCS". Power Conversion of AC to High Voltage DC and HVDC to 12V DC.

You just experienced a different failure mode in the PCS. People here are mostly talking about the on-board charger part of the PCS failing. Your failure was in the DC-DC converter portion.

In the first two generations of the Model S, these components (OBC and DC-DC) were completely separate. The Model 3 initiated the integration of these into the "PCS". Power Conversion of AC to High Voltage DC and HVDC to 12V DC.
Thank you for explaining that!

I just got a call from the Peabody, MA service center and the rep says the PCS unit is NOT part of the battery pack and therefore it is not covered by the battery warranty and my basic warranty has run out since I have almost 60k miles on the car. It was an early Model Y, so is it possible the design changed and the PCS is no longer part of the battery package? Looks like I may have to file for arbitration. Has anyone who has filed for arbitration gotten a ruling, and can anyone share how and what they filed?

I just got a call from the Peabody, MA service center and the rep says the PCS unit is NOT part of the battery pack and therefore it is not covered by the battery warranty and my basic warranty has run out since I have almost 60k miles on the car. It was an early Model Y, so is it possible the design changed and the PCS is no longer part of the battery package? Looks like I may have to file for arbitration. Has anyone who has filed for arbitration gotten a ruling, and can anyone share how and what they filed?
No, Tesla has never considered the PCS to be part of the battery for warranty purposes. We have had one person whose local SC covered it that way. The assumption is that he was the lucky recipient of a mistake. The one arbitration that was documented here was unsuccessful.

I just got a call from the Peabody, MA service center and the rep says the PCS unit is NOT part of the battery pack
🤣 Yeah, right. Just ask them if your battery is damaged and you have to buy a new one does it come with the PCS pre-installed, or do you have to buy it separately?

Hmm. If it wasn't part of the battery pack why would they list the PCS type as part of the battery in the parts catalog?

1701982203208.png

They even list the PCS for the type of battery it goes in:
1701982362912.png

Reactions: goldengate
I just got a call from the Peabody, MA service center and the rep says the PCS unit is NOT part of the battery pack and therefore it is not covered by the battery warranty and my basic warranty has run out since I have almost 6k miles on the car. It was an early Model Y, so is it possible the design changed and the PCS is no longer part of the battery package? Looks like I may have to file for arbitration. Has anyone who has filed for arbitration gotten a ruling, and can anyone share how and what they filed?
No, Tesla has never considered the PCS to be part of the battery for warranty purposes. We have had one person whose local SC covered it that way. The assumption is that he was the lucky recipient of a mistake. The one arbitration that was documented here was unsuccessful.
I know Tesla’s view is that it is not part of the battery warranty (for monetary, not necessarily technical, reasons), but my understanding is that if you buy a battery it comes with a PCS as part of the battery package.

Looks like I may have to file for arbitration. Has anyone who has filed for arbitration gotten a ruling, and can anyone share how and what they filed?
Yes, it's right here in this thread but several pages back. Look for the posts from user @Yanquetino . He went through the whole process of filing an arbitration dispute, but it was ruled against him.

Yes, it's right here in this thread but several pages back. Look for the posts from user @Yanquetino . He went through the whole process of filing an arbitration dispute, but it was ruled against him.
Don't let this stop you though. You can make better or more persuasive arguments, bring more evidence, or just get a different arbitrator.
You also have small claims as an option.

Don't give in just because one person tried it and was not successful.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Can we collect participants to file a lawsuit even if we don't have this issue ATM? Can we file a lawsuit just to get Tesla to agree that PcS should be a part of the main battery system?
If you can make a valid argument to NHTSA (via safety reports) that this is a driving related safety issue, you may be able to make it into a recall, so that even if battery warranty is expired, it is still covered. The challenges may be different however.

Reactions: goldengate
If you can make a valid argument to NHTSA (via safety reports) that this is a driving related safety issue, you may be able to make it into a recall, so that even if battery warranty is expired, it is still covered. The challenges may be different however.
Would be quite the argument to relate “I can’t charge my battery” to a safety issue worthy of a recall…