Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait until the second module fails then get all three replaced at once, and only have to pay for labor that one time.

That is exactly what I was thinking! Thx. Even the labour is incrementally more it won’t be 3x.

All three modules are part of the single PCS module. So if you get one replaced, you are replacing all three.

Gah. Just joining the group. Mostly charge at 32 amp, but when I tried to charge at 48 a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't. The car with the issue is a June-18 build per the sticker on the door, so that is specifically referenced date in the service bulletin. Low miles, but clearly beyond 48 months.

Put in a Service Request, but haven't heard back. Based on this thread, it looks like I'm out ~$2500 for the repair? No value to be in the magic 5 week build time frame per the SB?

Gah. Just joining the group. Mostly charge at 32 amp, but when I tried to charge at 48 a couple of weeks ago, it wouldn't. The car with the issue is a June-18 build per the sticker on the door, so that is specifically referenced date in the service bulletin. Low miles, but clearly beyond 48 months.

Put in a Service Request, but haven't heard back. Based on this thread, it looks like I'm out ~$2500 for the repair? No value to be in the magic 5 week build time frame per the SB?
Sorry to hear this. And we can bet there are many more who haven't reported the breakdown, or even follow this forum. To repeat myself for the umpteenth time: it is unconscionable that Tesla doesn't include the electronic components in the HV Battery Service Panel under the HV Battery Warranty —like other automakers.

Just to check the obvious: the versions of the cars with smaller batteries only have 32A chargers. Yours is a longer range one that is supposed to have the 48A charger?

If @Big Dog 's signature here is accurate, they have 2 Long Range RWD Model 3s. I think the Long Range RWD model was only sold in 2018 and possibly early into 2019. That model would have 48amp charging, from what I remember of it.

Sorry to hear this. And we can bet there are many more who haven't reported the breakdown, or even follow this forum. To repeat myself for the umpteenth time: it is unconscionable that Tesla doesn't include the electronic components in the HV Battery Service Panel under the HV Battery Warranty —like other automakers.
I think the logic is that for an EV, the OBC is not generally considered part of the battery pack. Although Tesla put it in the same housing for the Model 3/Y for ease of manufacturing, they operate under that same logic.
I think the core legal issue is the warranty doesn't explicitly exclude the PCS, which opens up this gray area. If Tesla had that exclusion in the HV warranty, it would be much more clear what is covered or not and the consumer can make their own decision if that is acceptable or not prior to problems occurring.

I think the logic is that for an EV, the OBC is not generally considered part of the battery pack. Although Tesla put it in the same housing for the Model 3/Y for ease of manufacturing, they operate under that same logic.
Don't forget that for Tesla, you can't actually buy a battery without the OBC/PCS. It's included in the only part number that includes a battery. So it's pretty clearly part of the battery.
Start selling batteries without PCS' and you have an argument that they aren't part of the battery.

Don't forget that for Tesla, you can't actually buy a battery without the OBC/PCS. It's included in the only part number that includes a battery. So it's pretty clearly part of the battery.
Start selling batteries without PCS' and you have an argument that they aren't part of the battery.
This is once again for convenience and reduced work hours in a pack replacement. The PCS can be replaced in the same way as the older separate units (namely from the rear seat), without taking out the battery pack. I do agree however this is the strongest argument you can bring in a court case.

If @Big Dog 's signature here is accurate, they have 2 Long Range RWD Model 3s. I think the Long Range RWD model was only sold in 2018 and possibly early into 2019. That model would have 48amp charging, from what I remember of it.
That is correct. We have his-and-hers LR Model 3's, 2018 build, both of which can charge up to 48 amps. Only one of the two has the issue.

Just plugged the good one in, and was able to charge at 48 amps (so my HPWC works ok). When I moved cars and plugged the second one in, after a few seconds, received the following message: "Power grid or vehicle issue limiting AC charging. / Unplug and retry/Try different charging location."

(

This is once again for convenience and reduced work hours in a pack replacement. The PCS can be replaced in the same way as the older separate units (namely from the rear seat), without taking out the battery pack. I do agree however this is the strongest argument you can bring in a court case.
So, you are saying they are forcing people to pay an extra ~$1,700, by buying a new PCS, when buying a replacement battery pack for their convivence? (Rather than moving their perfectly good PCS from the old pack to the new pack?)

Reactions: Rocky_H

This is once again for convenience and reduced work hours in a pack replacement.

Ease of access isn't what it's about though. It's about what that part number representation SAYS. When you get a battery replacement, and they put in part number XXXX that says it is the battery pack, that is Tesla saying "Here is your battery." That is an implicit (not explicit) representation that what they are giving you IS to be considered as "the battery".

And yeah, we know it has been decided, but this is a mental exercise in why most people should consider that arbitration decision to be clearly wrong.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So, when someone does pay for a replacement pack out of warranty they should request to get all non-battery parts returned to them. (That Tesla removes any part contained inside the old battery that is not part of the battery and give it to them since those parts belong to them.)

Of course, how silly is to actually write "remove any part contained inside the battery that is not part of the battery"? 🤣

I know there was a failed arbitration attempt, but I still think anyone having this issue should submit their own arbitration request. (Or go straight to small claims court.) Surely a couple hours of their time is worth the possibility of saving ~$2,000.

Reactions: gearchruncher
That is correct. We have his-and-hers LR Model 3's, 2018 build, both of which can charge up to 48 amps. Only one of the two has the issue.

Just plugged the good one in, and was able to charge at 48 amps (so my HPWC works ok). When I moved cars and plugged the second one in, after a few seconds, received the following message: "Power grid or vehicle issue limiting AC charging. / Unplug and retry/Try different charging location."

(
Do you have a Tesla home charger? Seems like a lot of cases reported had a Tesla home charger.